Presser foot control

Old March 23rd 05, 08:36 PM
Welmoed Sisson

Default Presser foot control

The Designer 1 by Viking has a two-height presser foot control,
controled by a button on the front panel. Push it once, the presser
foot goes up halfway. Push it again, the presser foot goes up a little
more. Very nice feature. The D1 doesn't have a "traditional" presser
foot lever; you press on the foot control to start sewing and the
presser foot drops down automatically.

I'm not sure which other Viking machines have this feature.

--Welmoed

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:18:33 -0600, "Jack Schmidling"
wrote:

I have only seen a few machines but all were plagued with the same quirk,
viz., the presser foot has to be held up with one hand to keep it in the
highest position. This is most inconvenient when working with heavy fabric
and particularly so for a right handed person.

Are all machines like this and if so, why?

js

Old March 24th 05, 12:43 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Most machines that I have had do have a pressure foot control (from darning
to heavy pressure). I'm not sure that I understood the question fully
though since most machines disengage the tension while the pressure foot is
lifted, so sewing with the foot manually raised could cause serious
problems.
Cynthia

Old March 24th 05, 05:31 AM

I'm not sure that I understood the question fully
though since most machines disengage the tension while the pressure
foot is
lifted, so sewing with the foot manually raised could cause serious
problems.

I am referring to the standard lever at the back of the machine that
raises the foot to insert and remove work. Pushing the lever up raises
it a fixed amount for most work but for buttons or thick wool, it can
be pushed up higher but it does not stay there when you let go of it.
This requires 3 hands to be of much use.

Every manual machine I have seen does this and it seems real dumb but I
suspect there is a reason I am not aware of.

js

Old March 24th 05, 11:01 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article . com,
of http://groups.google.com uttered
I am referring to the standard lever at the back of the machine that
raises the foot to insert and remove work. Pushing the lever up raises
it a fixed amount for most work but for buttons or thick wool, it can
be pushed up higher but it does not stay there when you let go of it.
This requires 3 hands to be of much use.

Every manual machine I have seen does this and it seems real dumb but I
suspect there is a reason I am not aware of.

Well, I sew everything from tents downwards, and this has never caused
me a problem. Raise the foot to its highest and get the bulky stuff
under there any old how, and then let go of the lever and position it
properly. Everything will move reasonably freely with the pressure
released, then just remember to lower the *presser* (not "pressure")
foot before you start to sew, or you won't engage the needle tension.

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old March 24th 05, 11:10 PM

What's your web site again, and do you have updates on how this year's
Smithson gown is going?

Thanks bunches.
Old March 24th 05, 11:27 PM
Welmoed Sisson

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:10:47 GMT, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

What's your web site again, and do you have updates on how this year's
Smithson gown is going?

Thanks bunches.

Oh my, Melinda, it's always a surprise to see one's name on a Usenet
posting subject line...

My project page is www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroom

Progress on the dress is... ummm... well....

I do have the fabric, which is a step in the right direction. I found
it at Spandex House. It is a sparkle slinky in ombre shades of blue.
It will start at the shoulder in a pale blue and grow into a deep
indigo at the hem. It is just barely wide enough for me to cut it on
the crossgrain.

I also found all the crystals I need at various stores in the fabric
district. I've also drafted the pattern but need to purchase the
foundation garment before I start doing anything. I'm hoping to work
on the muslin this weekend but also am facing a hard deadline for
getting my IWCE display done and there are still several large pieces
of that to finish.

Thanks for inquiring... I will post to TCM when I have pictures of the
muslin. I haven't been as vocal about this one just because this other
project has been dominating my thoughts this spring.

--Welmoed

Old March 26th 05, 05:11 PM

posting subject line...
Welmoed posted:
My project page is www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingroo=ADm
Progress on the dress is... ummm... well....
I do have the fabric, which is a step in the right direction. I found
it at Spandex House. It is a sparkle slinky in ombre shades of blue.
It will start at the shoulder in a pale blue and grow into a deep
indigo at the hem. It is just barely wide enough for me to cut it on
the crossgrain.

---
Oh, nice! I love to see how thought processes influence the final
design, and do hope you post fin. pics--or remind us to check your gown
when you are finished.
Cea

Old March 26th 05, 09:53 PM

Dear Moed,

My students used the Wild Ginger software, and sleeves were always an
issue. We solved it by taking our "wrist" measurements over the widest
part of our hand.

I wrote to the company, which is usually quite enthusiastic about
solving problems, and whoever answered me was abrupt about the sleeve
problem. One other problem I have with this software is that it
doesn't have a fillet command to make square corners when seam
allowances are added. This proved to be disastrous for one of my
students who cut before she had me check, and ended up with an unwanted
notch at the center front of her dress.

All in all, though, I have worked with other programs, and find this
one to be the best I have tried.

Teri

Aftermarket foot pedal speed control, source? Recoil Rob Pottery 1 March 21st 05 05:54 PM
Curve Master Presser Foot Flossy Quilting 5 March 27th 04 12:08 PM
curved presser foot found nzl* Quilting 6 January 8th 04 02:42 AM
presser foot AlenasMom Quilting 13 October 25th 03 04:06 PM
WTB: Bernina foot control John B Marketplace 0 September 3rd 03 01:07 AM