walking foot

Old June 14th 04, 05:09 PM
Becky

Default walking foot

I broke down and got a walking foot for my 1031 Bernina a couple of weeks
ago, planning to use it primarily for quilt assembly and for straight line
quilting. While reading the istructions for possible uses, and how it would
work very well for seaming plaids together, since the matchups would not be
pushed off while sewing, a light went on in my head. TA DA! Why not try it
for machine piecing? Especially for my beloved eight point stars, the
center matches of which always get "pushed" just a tiny bit off. (And
sometimes, I'll admit, more than a tiny bit, off).

Guess what?! It works!!!! Even on eight pointed matches. If you can pin
the match, the foot will sew it. Doesn't matter if the seams are pressed to
the side so they butt together, or is they are pressed open, as I do with
the last two before the center in eight pointed stars. Perfect matches,
absolutely the best I have ever produced by machine, with no blood, sweat,
or tears. Try it, you'll love it!

Becky

Old June 14th 04, 06:15 PM
Taria

That's why folks love their Pfaff's with the foot part of the machine.
I'm a BErnina fan myself though. For me the bulk of the foot sort of
gets in the way. Certainly worth a shot for folks to try though.
Nothing prettier than star points that meet!
Taria

Old June 14th 04, 06:33 PM
Laurie G.

I'm a Pfaff person so I may be a bit "off" here but is the Bernina walking
foot also a quarter inch foot? That's one reason the Pfaff is nice - the
quarter inch foot can be used with the walking foot engaged.

I guess if you have the quarter inch marked on the machine bed it makes my
point moot! Anytime a walking foot can be used, IMO, it improves the
piecing. :-)

Laurie

Old June 14th 04, 07:00 PM
Becky

No, it's a huge foot, but it is quite open so you can see what's going on.
And I do use the markings on the bed to get my quarter inch. With real
teeny pieces, the size of the foot could be a problem, but for "normal" size
blocks, it sure seems to be a viable answer to getting things to match up.

Becky

Old June 14th 04, 07:19 PM
Joanna

I feel in love so much with the walking foot that the only time it comes
off my machine is if I'm sewing a zipper. Everything else it's great.
Joanna
--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old June 14th 04, 07:23 PM
Joanna

It seems I'm missing something?? Sounds like other's walking foot are
bigger? Mine is no bigger on the bottom than the regular 1/4 foot. It is
bigger or should I say fatter up on the side of it. But it's out of the
way. So my stitching lines don't change when I use the walking foot or
just the plain foot. Learn something new every day. But then I do tend
not to look at machines. I have mine and don't want to know anything
else. I'm afaird if I learn more then I will want a different machine,
or another one.
Joanna
--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old June 14th 04, 07:41 PM
Patti

Thanks Becky.
Never knew if it worked before - though I have heard that. It's so nice
when someone else does the experimentation and comes back with the
answer. Much appreciated.
..
In article , Becky
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 14th 04, 08:57 PM
BarbQuilts

The Bernina WF is bigger - wider and big in the back. I have used it for
plaids also, but I don't like to go as fast with it as I do my 1/4" foot and
it does get in the way somewhat visually. I move my needle left or right
sometimes depending on what I'm using the walking foot for and can do a 1/4"
seam with it.

--
BarbQuilts
take out the Cat to reply

Old June 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Julia in MN

My walking foot is wider than 1/4 inch, so if I want to use it to sew a
quarter inch seam, I move my needle to the right. On my Elna, needle
position 6.5 gives me a nice quarter inch seam with the walking foot.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old June 15th 04, 01:24 AM
Becky

You're more than welcome. I took a couple of the eight pointed stars to my
group meeting this afternoon, everyone was much impressed with the matches.

Becky

Walking Foot To Give Away "long". Dixie Quilting 4 April 24th 04 03:41 PM
Walking Foot Karlee in Kansas Quilting 1 December 13th 03 09:38 PM
Generic walking foot? D&D Quilting 0 October 24th 03 11:38 AM
Generic walking foot? Debbi Quilting 3 October 23rd 03 08:43 PM
A walk(ing foot) in the park KittyG Quilting 18 October 21st 03 06:35 PM