ping sandy in henderson

Old August 7th 11, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default ping sandy in henderson

Hey Sandy, I didn't get anywhere near going to the LB quilt show.
Do you have a report on your trip. I am sort of late here but still
curious. Hope you had a great time. I keep telling myself next
year.
Taria
Old August 8th 11, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Jet Blue flies to Chicago if you want to come and visit! My guest room
is available but I must warn you that sometimes Mom wakes up in the
night which might disturb your sleep, too. Just don't plan to come
January through March for weather reasons. Susan

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 08:51:08 -0700, Sandy
wrote:

In article ,
"Taria" wrote:

Hey Sandy, I didn't get anywhere near going to the LB quilt show.
Do you have a report on your trip. I am sort of late here but still
curious. Hope you had a great time. I keep telling myself next
year.
Taria

Oops! I completely forgot to make my report! g My DT and her DH are
arriving in a few hours, so I'd better do it now before I forget again
and get busy. g

I arrived Wednesday afternoon, checked into my hotel and used their
very-friendly shuttle service to get over to the Convention Center.
There, I met my Phoenix quilt buddy (not on this list), who had spent
the day on what she said was a wonderful shop hop. We checked in, got
our badges and then took off for a lovely dinner near the water.

All day Thursday and again Friday morning, I had classes with Charlotte
Warr Andersen. These were quilting classes, rather than piecing or
appliqué. I love getting ideas from different instructors, and hers were
quite different from what I've had in the past, so I'm very pleased. My
friend had classes all day both of those days, but hers were with Judith
Baker Montano. As my friend says, I don't (often) do the "E" word
("embellish"), and she doesn't do the "F" word ("free-motion"). g

Thursday evening we attended the preview and mostly wandered around the
vendor booths; that's when I found the buttons for my tea cozy. Friday
afternoon, I wandered around the quilts with another friend who was
there for the day from Las Vegas. I also watched a short, funny
presentation from Eleanor Burns; she's always such fun.

I could actually have gone home on Saturday, since I'd seen everything,
but I hadn't realized that when I booked, so Saturday my Phoenix buddy
and I wandered around the quilts (she hadn't seen them yet) and saw a
little presentation by Anita Grossman Solomon; her book is now on my
list of future purchases. G

Besides the buttons, I also bought a wool appliqué kit, a stand-up caddy
for quilting tools on the go, and a pair of shoes! Who'd have thought
I'd be shoe shopping at a quilt show? But these were so comfortable, and
I'm having such trouble with one foot, that I was able to justify the
exorbitant cost to myself.

Sunday I flew home, though that was iffy for a time. I'd originally
planned to drive over and back, but JetBlue was having a sale ....
The flight to LB was wonderful, but coming home was less so. One of
their planes had broken down (on the runway, thank goodness!), so all
flights were delayed, some by half an hour, some by much more. I was on
one of the "lucky" flights with a 2.5 hour delay. We also had four gate
changes, which isn't such a huge deal in a tiny airport like the one in
LB, but people were tripping all over each other in the crowded
conditions. G Still, all's well that ends well, and our very bumpy
flight (lots of turbulence -- we weren't allowed out of our seats at
all!) was over soon. JetBlue has offered me $50 off my next ticket as
compensation, which is nice, except that I don't go anywhere that they
fly, except LB! g Oh well.

I enjoyed the show, but I will note that a large number of the quilts
hanging there had also been in Houston, so it was sort of nice to
revisit those.