Covering a steering wheel

Old October 21st 04, 02:29 PM
PacoPuig

Default Covering a steering wheel

I wish to cover the steering wheel of my boat with rope knots. Does
somebody knows books or url's about?

Thanks

F. Puig

Old October 21st 04, 07:00 PM
Larry Green

PacoPuig wrote:

I wish to cover the steering wheel of my boat with rope knots. Does
somebody knows books or url's about?

Thanks

F. Puig

You could try a 'Turk's Head' around the wheel. That would give grip as
well as look nice.

I am a keen kite builder/flier and build large kites that can be a
problem to get back out of the sky. The 'standard' solution to this is
to use a 'walkdown' to walk the line (and therefore the kite) back to
the ground for retrieval. I built one out of a piece of oak with a
pulley that hooks onto the line. To give better grip I tied a 'Turk's
Head' around the body and used two colours of nylon line for effect. I
then added a 'Monkey's Fist' to the ball end of the walkdown to add bulk
(so my hand would not slip off) and also to provide a loop for a
caribiner so that I can attach it to my belt. The entire thing was then
given two coats of clear varnish to seal everything in place and to
bring out the colour in the oak. I have used it regularly for two years
and it still looks as good as the day it was made and it lives in a bag
full of reels, ground stakes and other clutter and is not treated with
kid gloves in any way.

I posted a couple of photos at the following URLs so that you can see
what I am talking about........

http://www3.sympatico.ca/larry.green/walkdown_one.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/larry.green/walkdown_two.jpg

Information on 'Turk's Head' tying can be found here........

http://www.folsoms.net/knots/

http://www.layhands.com/knots/Knots_Decorative.htm

http://members.aol.com/standcmr/braid.html

http://www.shurdington.org/Scouts/TurksHead.htm

HTH

--
Larry Green
Old October 21st 04, 07:38 PM
roo

PacoPuig wrote in message . es...
I wish to cover the steering wheel of my boat with rope knots. Does
somebody knows books or url's about?

Thanks

F. Puig

It's probably best to flip through several knot books at a library to
look for something you like, as decorative knotting is purely a matter
of personal tastes.

One easy method of creating spiraling ridge involves just tying a
series of clove hitches all the way around the wheel:

http://www.geocities.com/roo_two/clovehitch.html

Try it on a wooden rod first to see if you like the look.
Unfortunately, it will take longer to make on a wheel since you don't
have end-access.
Old October 21st 04, 08:29 PM
Jeff Morris

I did that with my wheel. Its about 30" diameter. I used a fairly thin twisted line,
maybe 1/16", that was probably made for fish nets. I used a simple knot, just a half
hitch on every wrap, so the result is twists around the wheel, about one twist per
inch. This is what someone else called a series of clove hitches. A fancier turk's
head was put on the wheel at the top spoke.

When I first planned this, I was thinking of fancier knots, but I quickly realized it
was a lot of work just to do the simple hitches. I figure about a thousand hitches
all around - this was a winter project while watching TV. The first inch or so was
very tight, but even that was too much work and the rest is a bit looser.

The net result is very pleasing on the hand and eye. The spiral ridge gives a perfect
grip, and its never cold or slippery. It does collect dirt, but a small power wash
cleans it nicely.

I'm still looking for some fancier knots to put on the vertical spoke.

Here's a pic, I'll take a better one the next time I'm on board.
http://www.sv-loki.com/img_1415.jpg

s...

Old October 21st 04, 10:39 PM
tony

PacoPuig wrote in message . es...
I wish to cover the steering wheel of my boat with rope knots. Does
somebody knows books or url's about?

Thanks

F. Puig

one place to start is: