Corina's Floral Challenge--only entree voting?

Old May 24th 04, 06:37 PM
Anne C. Bauer

Huh? What temper tantrum? (I didn't see anything remotely like that....)
~~
Sooz

That's what I was wondering too.

Annie
or
AnnieBee's at
http://www.anniebee.com

Old May 24th 04, 06:46 PM
Lori Greenberg

Email her and follow up! You never know...she's been travelling a lot and
I'm sure has a lot that is hard to keep track of.

I want to know how you did the bead you entered...in a publication! Not
that I'd do them myself, I just like seeing how people do things and having
pretty pictures to flip through!

--
Lori Greenberg
http://www.beadnerd.com

ebay auctions:
http://snipurl.com/5wlc

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message
And now that I see who won, I am definitely going to buy that magazine,
because those tulips are to die for, and I wanna make some, if only for
myself. Katie Green won, in case you all didn't know -

http://www.gemfox.com/corinabeads/im...GreenKatie.jpg

Corina asked me awhile back, before this contest, if I wanted to interview
for her Floral Spotlight On with techniques for my own floral beads. We
never actually did that, and now that she's seen so many gorgeous flowers

in
her contest I dount she still wants me!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

The reasoning behind it is that she didn't want it to turn into a
popularity contest, where the person with the most friends and family
wins... the winner is going to be featured in her Spotlight and will
have to reveal all their secrets to making the floral they entered,
which means the participating lampworkers really have an incentive to
vote for beads they want to know the "how" of.

I think her reasoning makes perfect sense, since open voting does tend
to invite issues like "tell everyone in the office to vote for my

friend!".

Me, I can't decide which of those beautiful beads I MOST want to see a
tutorial on... there are so many!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Candace wrote:
I just went to Corina's site, thinking I'd better hurry up and get my

vote
in...hadn't been there in a while, strolled around the new entries,

decided I
was going with my first choice anyways...then BAM--I can't vote! She

changed
it to entree voting only, at the request of some of the contributors.

Something about this seems wrong to me. Like some(not all!!!) of the

lesser
known artists felt like they couldn't hack it with the "big names,"

and
wanted
the votes narrowed down. Is there something I don't know? Is this

actually a
popularity contest, and not a contest of skill and artistic ability?

mean
yeah, there are some entries by people I "know," but that wasn't

influencing my
vote in the least. (Although it was kinda cool to look at those beads

and
say"Hey! I belong to a group that the maker of This gorgeous bead(s)

was made
by!!") My vote was going to the floral that took my breath away...not

the
"name" behind it. I was under the impression that this contest was to

involve
everyone with a passion for lampwork beads. And I was really looking

forward
to having a part in the results.

I don't know, maybe I'm totally wrong about this. It could be that

the
5 most
recognizable names in there were the ones who asked for a change.

Maybe
they
were looking out for the "little guy." I'll never know. Just my

opinion.

~Candace~

Old May 24th 04, 07:21 PM
Kandice Seeber

Maybe I will do that! The flower button I did was deceptively easy.
I didn't learn from any particular beadmaker or style I saw - just kind of
guessed at it. I see some buttons out there that are probably similar in
technique.
I'll gladly teach anyone who asks - lots of people are doing them now.
I know what you mean about having lots of pages to flip through - I love
seeing people's techniques even if I never plan on trying it myself. I'm
addicted to that!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old May 25th 04, 01:15 AM
Christina Peterson

Actually, as a bead buyer, I like a lot of straight forward beads. Complex
techniques and complex beads aren't necessarily prettier or more attractive
to me. And I really prefer round beads. And remember when everyone was
trying to see how long a bi-cone they could make? I would have no use
(practical application) for such a bead. Whereas the "countless encased
florals" always command my attention.

Tina

"Candace" wrote ...

And can the beadBuyers get a little more credit here? If all the bead

makers
have seen countless (example) encased florals, then doesn't it stand to

reason
that the beadbuyers have too? It only makes sense to me that the

beadbuyers
would have voted for roughly the same things as the beadmakers.

Old May 25th 04, 06:18 AM
Candace

I won't lie--the encased florals are actually my favorites too, Tina. Please
don't hold much of what I type in the wee hours of the morning against me