Cloth & threads Shops that disappeared ......

Old December 29th 04, 07:04 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Cloth & threads Shops that disappeared ......

Good morning ...
Yesterday i went by a newly opened [ miniature] wool shop , in mid
town, on the wall i saw a crochet hook no 7 ,, one of mine broke long
ago and i like a replacement ,, it isn`t always easy to find ,,,, i
entered the shop , and asked for a Crochet Needle No 7 , using the
Hebrew name for it Tzinora ,,, the woman blinked and said ok and
pulled out 2 knitting needles.. [ she said something Russian to the
other woman ] thus i assumed she didn`t know this Hebrew term , and
very politely said ,, I mean a CRochet hook . [ saying this Almost
International term Crochet] ,,, she still blinked and said ; " we
don`t have it and even if we had we don`t have this number !' ,, i
very quietly told her i saw it in the window ,,, "Oh " she said than
it must be our last one !!!![ considering they just opened the shop
????] and than came the `bomb `"They don`t make them anymore !!!" ,,
i finnaly managed to buy the one from the window ,,, but you all know
, this shop is offf limit for me now ,,,, they don`t have a clue ....
mirjam

Hi Mirjam

I know just what your talking about too!

I guess I was spoiled living in St. Louis where EVERYTHING was ALWAYS
available, just down the street too!
Since moving to Knoxville, I had to make hundreds of changes in the
way I buy things. And one brand never works the way another like kind
brand works, so one has to make adjustments or use something else
entirely.
Even something as simple as printing paper can drive one meshugenah.
In St. Louis I bought Weyerhaeuser Husky Offset for everyday two sided
printing and Mead Enamel for glossy and/or color pages.
The SAME company here in TN does not stock either and their like kind
is totally unsuitable. The brand of Enamel paper they have here is
FAKE plastic coated stuff that blisters, so I have to jump to the much
more expensive Hammermill Gloss at over double the price.

Even companies that have plants in both St. Louis and Memphis, it's
cheaper to have the product shipped from St. Louis, than within our
own state from end to end.

But like you have found, the things we use most often, simply are just
not available any more, unless you go on a seek and find mission to
see who might be stocking a particular item, if at all, and as uncanny
as it is, you find things in the most least likely of places.
EG: Mary's house of Lace also carries upholstery fabrics, as well as
many things associated with other needlecrafts far removed from her
mainline of crochet and lace goods.

TTUL
Gary

Old December 29th 04, 12:31 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

hahaha...thanks for the chuckle Mirjam. I hope you walked out with a
shake of your head, a smile on your face and a little giggle at the
stupidity of it all.
You can't argue with *stupid*, you can just laugh at it and move on. ;-)

/J

--
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old December 29th 04, 01:58 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Jenn I had a GIANT smile ,very polite , came out shaked all over ,
head in wonderment , shouldres in laughing ,, legs in runnig away as
quick as possible ,,,,
I don`t want to think of people who might come in and ask How much
Wool they need to buy...... or other relevant questions ,,,,
hooooooooo people ...
mirjam

Old December 29th 04, 03:56 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Mirjam,

It will be interesting when you walk by there again to see if they have that
size hook in the window since they told you it was the last one and they don't
make them anymore. Oh yes, can't you see someone wanting to make a small
sweater and buys enough yarn to make a dozen? LOL

Hugs,

Your twin,

Nora
Old December 29th 04, 09:08 PM
Aud

HAHA!! I got a good laugh!
I am sure there is a few more than you, who don't have
the patience to try to buy something there!
They must do it to get a giggle!
Aud ;-)

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" skrev i melding

Old December 30th 04, 06:38 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Oh No AUD they were Very serious ,,, just heard from a neighbour who
went in the New shop , and they tried to sell her something she didn`t
want ,,,,,
mirjam

Old December 30th 04, 08:56 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

[...]

Mirjam, first of all a Happy New Year, and did you get my envelope with
knitting patterns....??

Mirjam give these two ladies the benefit of the doubt, and don't walk away
mad.....remember you did get your crochet hook there,one that is hard to
get, Maybe there is a little opening for you, with all your great
knowledge, to help them and teach them the right terminology...You may
never know what else you can pick up in there little mini store.....LOL

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old December 31st 04, 07:43 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Gelukig Nieuwe Jaar !!! Elsje ,,
No i haven`t as yet recieved any envelope from you ,,, wil let you
know when it does ,, they were slow working in the post here .....
-----
As to the new shop we will see i wil look in from time totime ,, if
they last ,,, They are not interested in any advice ,,,,, so i heard
from a coleague who tried ..
mirjam

Cloth & threads Shops that disappeared ...... Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 1 December 28th 04 11:30 AM
To Sue Dawson/ Arts & Crafts Era Threads sewingsusan Needlework 8 May 26th 04 03:09 AM
any cross-stitch shops in Ft Benning, Ga?? gundoc Needlework 0 March 25th 04 07:34 AM
Iron-on Krenik Threads Lula Needlework 3 July 24th 03 07:05 AM
New FREE downloadable cross stitch pattern in zipped PMP 3 format: Art Deco rose top table cloth Misty Needlework 0 July 23rd 03 11:45 AM