Displaying a paper map..

Old September 29th 03, 04:22 PM
Bob Kuphal

Default Displaying a paper map..

I am a woodworker, and a friend of mine asked me to build a frame to
display a map of the U.S.A. The map was given to me folded like a
typical road map. The map is of higher quality and thicker paper than
a typical road map.

I wish to mount the map on a piece of 1/4" hardboard and install that
in a wooden frame with a piece of plexy (sp ?) glass in front. The
map is about 27" wide by 18" high.

If anyone has an answer to the following two questions it would be
appreciated :

1. How can I flatten the map in preparation for mounting. Use a normal
household iron on low heat ?

2. What kind of glue should I use to affix the map to the hardboard,
plus not "wet" the map so much that it will wrinkle up etc..

I am asking here, since I doubt that the people on rec.woodworking would
know these answers. I thought I had seen this done on a HGTV show,
but cannot remember the manner used to adhere the paper to the hardboard
backing.

Thanks in advance.
--

Bob Kuphal
Remove NOSPAM to email

Old September 29th 03, 08:14 PM
RigPilot

Try Wallpaper Glue. Also look at the local Craft Store for
Decoupage materials or Spray Adhesive used for mounting
Jigsaw Puzzles.

"Bob Kuphal" wrote in message

[...]

---
9/23/03

Old September 30th 03, 05:53 AM
Pat Kight

Bob Kuphal wrote:

I am a woodworker, and a friend of mine asked me to build a frame to
display a map of the U.S.A. The map was given to me folded like a
typical road map. The map is of higher quality and thicker paper than
a typical road map.

I wish to mount the map on a piece of 1/4" hardboard and install that
in a wooden frame with a piece of plexy (sp ?) glass in front. The
map is about 27" wide by 18" high.

If anyone has an answer to the following two questions it would be
appreciated :

1. How can I flatten the map in preparation for mounting. Use a normal
household iron on low heat ?

Yes, but if you want to make sure not to scorch it, put a piece of plain
white paper between the iron and the map.

2. What kind of glue should I use to affix the map to the hardboard,
plus not "wet" the map so much that it will wrinkle up etc..

I am asking here, since I doubt that the people on rec.woodworking would
know these answers. I thought I had seen this done on a HGTV show,
but cannot remember the manner used to adhere the paper to the hardboard
backing.

I'd use one of the 3-M spray adhesives - preferably the sort that
remains tacky and repositionable until it's dried. Coat the board, not
the paper, evenly and thoroughly, then *carefully* lay the paper down
and use a rubber brayer to smooth it from the center toward the edges.
If you get an airbubble, prick it with a needle and brayer to flatten
(the hole will disappear).

Having a helper hold the map while you position it on the board may be a
good idea; alternately, oll it into a loose tube, lay down the leading
edge to get the positioning right, and then slowly and carefully unroll
it, pressing it firmly in place as you go with something like the edge
of a yardstick.

If this is a treasured heirloom or something like that, I'd probably
take it to a frame shop and have them do the adhering, since they
specialize in that kind of work.

--
Pat Kight

Iron on Transfer Paper hpman247 Marketplace 0 December 23rd 04 08:02 AM
How to make Paper earrings Deb Jewelry 1 October 16th 04 08:21 AM
Paper Folding & Cutting Origami 1923 [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 4th 04 02:29 AM
CHINESE PAPER CUT ITEMS HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:48 AM
HELP: Looking for a paper cutting gizmo... Mayer Goldberg General Crafting 3 July 25th 03 05:54 AM