Cast off HELP please

Old September 16th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Roseagh

Default Cast off HELP please

Hi ya all... after a brief break I am back seeking your help and
knowledge on something that is driving me CRazY!!!

When it comes to casting off, it is totally different than my cast on
edge so if I am knitting a shrug *which I am and this is the first
time*, I have two cuffs, with different tension and edges. I have
tried numerous things, but I am hoping that someone among you would
have had this problem and found a way to resolve.
Please help, as this is for my 6yr old daughter and I would like to
finish it in time for her birthday... end of Oct.

TIA and blessings to all
Rach *in NZ*

Old September 16th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 16 Sep 2006 11:47:33 -0700, "Roseagh"
spewed forth :

Easiest fix: knit two halves from the cuffs, graft at the center.

Next-easiest fix: use a sewn bind-off

Time-consuming fix: experiment with different sized needles until you
find one that let's you produce a reasonable approximation of your
cast-on when you bind-off with it.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old September 17th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Roseagh wrote:
Hi ya all... after a brief break I am back seeking your help and
knowledge on something that is driving me CRazY!!!

When it comes to casting off, it is totally different than my cast on
edge so if I am knitting a shrug *which I am and this is the first
time*, I have two cuffs, with different tension and edges. I have
tried numerous things, but I am hoping that someone among you would
have had this problem and found a way to resolve.
Please help, as this is for my 6yr old daughter and I would like to
finish it in time for her birthday... end of Oct.

TIA and blessings to all
Rach *in NZ*

I'd unravel the cuff back to its starting point and try knitting it with
a needle one size smaller, then casting off with one size smaller
needle. This is assuming you've gotten to the cast-off point.
Otherwise, I'd take Wooly's advice...unless you mean this is your first
knitting project or your first shrug.
Old September 18th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

The problem in trying to help you with this is you only said the beginning
and end was very different, but you didn't say whether your cast off is
coming looser or tighter! I will go with the most common, most people
have the cast-off coming out too tight. You must cast off thinking, "Oh,
no, this is way too loose, this will never work, the stitches are too large"
If they look right to you as you do it, they are probably too tight! I
would suggest knitting a couple of rows and casting off, over and over until
you get it so it doesn't pull in. Once you start paying attention to those
first few stitches you cast off, about stitch 6 you should start being able
to tell just by looking that it is beginning to pull in instead of laying
flat like the bulk of the fabric. I mean, if you had knitted something
that is about the size of a piece of paper (just pretend!) that the edges
should finish just like the middle, even all the way to the end with no
pulling in.
--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

ups.com...

Old September 20th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Roseagh

Good Point Cozy....

this is not my first project, I've been knitting for quite a few years
but this *is* my first shrug when I am casting off on a cuff rather
than casting on...

My cuff that I am casting off on, is too loose, I've tried different
sized needles, tension, stitch, but it always "looks" different as well
as much looser than the cast on cuff. I have finished it and am loathe
to unravel half of this for the grafting *which I have done before to
join shoulder seams* and I was hoping for a quicker fix than the
obvious.

Thanks all for your help and advice ... looks like I may have to do
some unravelling lol

Thanks
Rach
*in NZ*

Old September 20th 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

I'd hate to do all that unraveling too. How about you try smaller
needles for a tighter cast off, and then maybe disguise the difference
in the cuffs with some kind of narrow edging on both cuffs, maybe a
couple of rows of crochet, that would make them look more alike and
further tighten the looser cuff? The only other thing I can think of is
to unravel just the cuff and re-knit the cuff with small enough needles
to tighten it.

Old September 20th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

All excellent points, and here's another:
SWATCH.
Cast on X number of stitches. Just knit a few rows. Now, cast off,
and see if your cast on edge is equal to your cast off.
If smaller needles don't do the trick, you can always try this:

Cast off normally X number of stitches, then cast off two together at
intervals... EXAMPLE:

say you have 80 stitches to cast off.
Cast off 8, cast off 2 tog, cast off 8, cast off 2 tog, etc...
JM2C
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0638-0, 09/19/2006
Tested: 9/20/2006 8:27:17 AM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old September 20th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
cozyhomelife

Is your cast off row showing on the OUTSIDE of the garment, like big crochet
single stitches? If so, knit or purl another row (the opposite of
whichever you did last) and then cast off so that the cast off edge is on
the INSIDE against your skin. Also, look at some techiniques at
www.knittinghelp.com where they have wonderful videos

--
-Cozy

http://blogs.delphiforums.com/n/blog...g=cozy_at_home

Happiness doesn't come from having things, it comes from *having things you
can find*

oups.com...

Old September 26th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Roseagh

yes it is!!! thanks for that advice, I'd never really thought about
doing that, and the cuff is a rib pattern, would that make a difference
do you think???

AND I will have to try the c/o X and then K2tog as suggested above
also!

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

Rach
*in NZ*

Old September 26th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Roseagh wrote:
yes it is!!! thanks for that advice, I'd never really thought about
doing that, and the cuff is a rib pattern, would that make a difference
do you think???

AND I will have to try the c/o X and then K2tog as suggested above
also!

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone!

Rach
*in NZ*

When it's a rib pattern, I bind off in ribbing and `chain' lies on the
very edge of the work, instead of facing in or out.

sue

LATE Sunday AM, etc, and a *wanted* "ad".... YarnWright Yarn 54 June 19th 06 04:46 PM
How to cast on? Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 4 April 13th 05 11:11 PM
Proviaional Cast On..Colonial House hat Jill Delgado Yarn 7 May 25th 04 12:41 AM
New Year's Cast On JudyTurpin Yarn 2 January 2nd 04 05:30 PM
Cast Iron cookware question Cathy Collins Needlework 7 July 27th 03 10:45 PM