quality of handmade gold

Old October 3rd 03, 05:44 AM
m4816k

Default quality of handmade gold

I ran into a store that offers handmade gold jewellery for a price that is
not too much higher than the one of "usual, patterned, maschine made
jewellery" (know what I mean?). So, what I'd like to know is, does the fact
that a piece is made by hand, always mean that it's better quality,
durability and wear? I'm talking about 18K gold. Thank you!

Old October 3rd 03, 06:49 AM
Abrasha

m4816k wrote:

I ran into a store that offers handmade gold jewellery for a price that is
not too much higher than the one of "usual, patterned, maschine made
jewellery" (know what I mean?). So, what I'd like to know is, does the fact
that a piece is made by hand, always mean that it's better quality,
durability and wear?

No.

http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 4th 03, 05:38 AM
Dale Porter

"m4816k" wrote in message
I ran into a store that offers handmade gold jewellery for a price that is
not too much higher than the one of "usual, patterned, maschine made
jewellery" (know what I mean?). So, what I'd like to know is, does the fact
that a piece is made by hand, always mean that it's better quality,

That would greatly depend on the quality of the hands that made it.

durability and wear? I'm talking about 18K gold. Thank you!

Regardless of the metal used.

Dale Porter

Old October 7th 03, 08:00 AM
Andy

Hi,

Jewellery which are hand made may not be precise compared with machine in
terms of quality, due to human fault.
On durability and wear, what grade of gold are you comparing with? 9k, 14k,
18k, 20k, 22k or 24k?

24k 99.9% softest, most malleable, warm, rich yellow color
22k 91.6% softer, warm, rich yellow color
20k 85.0% harder, rich yellow color
18k 75.0% harder, lighter yellow color
14k 58.3% harder light yellow color
9k 37.5% hardest very light yellow color

The two most common qualities of gold are 14K and 18K, with 18K being the
international standard for higher quality jewelry.
18K gold is ¾ gold with only ¼ of other materials added, whereas 14K gold is
only a little more than half gold, with the rest being metal alloys.
Therefore, 18K gold is more valuable. It is also less likely to cause a
reaction in people who are allergic to metals alloyed with gold, and it
usually has a deeper, richer yellow color than 14K gold. 18K gold will also
not tarnish, maintaining its color through the years.
Some users and even jewelers believe that 14K is more durable than 18K gold,
because the greater proportion of alloys gives it greater hardness. It is
also cheaper to produce jewelry using 14K gold. However, 18K gold is a
common minimum standard for jewellery in Asia. It gives a much purer metal
with good hardness and durability. In fact, often jewellery, including
pieces like wedding rings which are subjected to much daily wear and tear,
are crafted using 22K gold, with little problems in durability. 22K gold
offers a more valuable and higher quality jewelry piece without a great
reduction in hardness of the metal.

We are a manufacturer hence if you require more details, we can be contact
at

Cheers,

Andy

Old October 7th 03, 03:27 PM
Dale Porter

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi,

Jewellery which are hand made may not be precise compared with machine in
terms of quality, due to human fault.
On durability and wear, what grade of gold are you comparing with? 9k, 14k,
18k, 20k, 22k or 24k?

24k 99.9% softest, most malleable, warm, rich yellow color
22k 91.6% softer, warm, rich yellow color
20k 85.0% harder, rich yellow color
18k 75.0% harder, lighter yellow color
14k 58.3% harder light yellow color
9k 37.5% hardest very light yellow color

There's also 10k which I beleive is common in the U.S.?

The two most common qualities of gold are 14K and 18K,

That really depends on the country you're in at the time. In Australia, 9ct and
18ct are the
predominant types, with 9ct being very common due to it's affordability.

with 18K being the
international standard for higher quality jewelry.
18K gold is ¾ gold with only ¼ of other materials added, whereas 14K gold is
only a little more than half gold, with the rest being metal alloys.
Therefore, 18K gold is more valuable. It is also less likely to cause a
reaction in people who are allergic to metals alloyed with gold, and it
usually has a deeper, richer yellow color than 14K gold. 18K gold will also
not tarnish, maintaining its color through the years.

It will tarnish, just takes a bit longer than lower carat golds.

Dale Porter

Gold and all its variations for findings Su/Cutworks Beads 24 September 20th 04 03:27 PM
Silver and Gold? Gemfyre Beads 9 June 11th 04 12:46 AM
can we talk about quality findings and components? (long) Pam Beads 76 September 27th 03 09:10 AM
What does "salty" diamond mean? And 11k white gold? AuroraeB Jewelry 1 September 13th 03 05:22 PM