what supplies are most important for a beginner

Old November 5th 04, 12:13 AM
April

Default what supplies are most important for a beginner

Hello everyone!

I am new to the pottery wheel, and while I am still practicing getting
the clay centered I wanted to find out what kind of tools I will need
as I get into this. Also if anyone knows of a good website about
learning to use the wheel Id love to take a look at it. Thanks for
your help!

April
Old November 5th 04, 02:02 AM
annemarie

"April" wrote in message
m...
Hello everyone!

I am new to the pottery wheel, and while I am still practicing getting
the clay centered I wanted to find out what kind of tools I will need
as I get into this. Also if anyone knows of a good website about
learning to use the wheel Id love to take a look at it. Thanks for
your help!

April

Don't know any website but there are lots of books out there. Go to your
local library.
Tools, ribs/kidneys - metal wood and rubber. Turning tools, there are a
huge variety of these and different people like different things. I like to
have metal ones with pointed end turned at right angle (make sense) and some
of the ones with a wooden handle and two turning tools and either end, make
sure they are the sharp variety and not just the round wire ones.
If you are not getting lessons, I do recommend that you do.
Good luck
Annemarie

Old November 5th 04, 02:18 AM
GaSeku

Hi April,
I would also like to suggest that you visit your local library and see if they
carry any pottery making videos. It helps a lot to be able to see someone
center, etc. If your library doesn't have any, ask them if they work with other
libraries and could possibly borrow from them.
Happy potting!
Gaye
Old November 5th 04, 04:23 AM
Deborah M Riel

In article ,
April wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am new to the pottery wheel, and while I am still practicing getting
the clay centered I wanted to find out what kind of tools I will need
as I get into this. Also if anyone knows of a good website about
learning to use the wheel Id love to take a look at it. Thanks for
your help!

April

Tools that are handy include a small sponge, needle tool, wire,
various ribs (metal, rubber & wood), chamois for rims, various wooden
tools for shaping, trimming tools, bats and bat pins if you like to
throw on bats, ware boards (use a piece of sheetrock and tape up the
edges with duct tape), plastic sheeting (like you'd get from a
drycleaning store), smallish pail for water, an old towel to wipe your
hands on, small notebook and pen handy for taking notes.

You can usually pick up a very basic kit of the most immediately
useful tools in a craft store.

Here's a website I just came up with by doing a google search:

www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/throw/cover39.html

Have fun!

Deb R.