How do you get gold cufflinks hallmarked in the uk?

Old September 26th 03, 03:21 PM

Default How do you get gold cufflinks hallmarked in the uk?

Hi, I was given 18kt gold cufflinks bought in an upmarket gem factory
in Bankok...the place was fully iso registered, and Thai gov endorsed.
The cufflinks came with a cert of authenticity from the gov .
I would like to get them hallmarked in the UK.....can anyone point me
in the right direction...advice...tips...costs...etc.
If the process was not too dear, or complicated...I would consider
going myself to buy some quality jewelry, as the workmanship and
quality of these items are superlative.
any advice will be very much appreciated............
thanks,
JM
Old September 27th 03, 04:16 PM
H. J. Corney

in article , at
wrote on 26/9/03 3:21 pm:

Hi, I was given 18kt gold cufflinks bought in an upmarket gem factory
in Bankok...the place was fully iso registered, and Thai gov endorsed.
The cufflinks came with a cert of authenticity from the gov .
I would like to get them hallmarked in the UK.....can anyone point me
in the right direction...advice...tips...costs...etc.
If the process was not too dear, or complicated...I would consider
going myself to buy some quality jewelry, as the workmanship and
quality of these items are superlative.
any advice will be very much appreciated............
thanks,
JM

Hi,

You will need to ask a registered person with a name mark to submit the
items for hallmarking on your behalf.

If they send the cufflinks for marking as part of another 18ct parcel then
the cost will be modest if however they send the cufflinks alone then
minimum charges apply and you are looking at costs of up to =A330.

However there is a danger. If the cufflinks are a even tiny fraction under
18ct they will be stamped 14ct. If they are under 9ct they will be smashed
by the assay office and returned broken with no compensation whatever.

If they do stamp them then there may well be a mark left on the metal the
other side of the item. This will have to be polished out.

Normally you send items for hallmarking in an unpolished state.

If you are in the UK west country or close to the M4 then I would be happy
to submit them for you.... at your risk.

If you were going to do large quantities then you could register your own
name mark but the cost of a set of name mark punches makes that
impracticable for small amounts.

cheers
--=20

Hillary Corney

Designer Silversmith and Jeweller
http://www.designersilversmiths.com

Old October 2nd 03, 02:29 AM

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:16:30 GMT, "H. J. Corney"
wrote:

in article , at
wrote on 26/9/03 3:21 pm:

[...]

Thanks to you all for such helpful advice.When I get time, I will
proceed with this...even if a bit costly, it will test the process for
future reference.
......thanks again,
Joe
Old October 8th 03, 06:38 AM
GOOSEY

I had a wedding band made from two scrap 22ct wedding bands for my husband. If
I remember correctly there was a problem with purity, and that the finished
item could not be stamped as 22ct despite being made from 22ct. Why is this?

Vee
Old October 8th 03, 04:06 PM
Wooding

"GOOSEY" wrote in message
I had a wedding band made from two scrap 22ct wedding bands for my

husband. If
I remember correctly there was a problem with purity, and that the

finished
item could not be stamped as 22ct despite being made from 22ct. Why is

this?

Vee

Possibly that the two bands were soldered with gold lower than 22ct, or that
one or both of the original rings were not actually 22ct. The assay process
consists of scraping some metal from the item and processing it to extract
the pure gold. The purity is calculated from amount of pure gold compared
with the scraping..

--

Regards,
Gary Wooding

Old October 10th 03, 03:17 AM
Malcolm Kane

In message , Wooding
writes
"GOOSEY" wrote in message
.. .
I had a wedding band made from two scrap 22ct wedding bands for my

husband. If
I remember correctly there was a problem with purity, and that the

finished
item could not be stamped as 22ct despite being made from 22ct. Why is

this?

Vee

Possibly that the two bands were soldered with gold lower than 22ct, or that
one or both of the original rings were not actually 22ct. The assay process
consists of scraping some metal from the item and processing it to extract
the pure gold. The purity is calculated from amount of pure gold compared
with the scraping..

Also unlike some countries (the USA being one I think) there is no
"leeway". If the gold falls below the 22carat level at all it has to be
marked as a lower carat.
--
Malcolm Kane

Gold and all its variations for findings Su/Cutworks Beads 24 September 20th 04 03:27 PM
Silver and Gold? Gemfyre Beads 9 June 11th 04 12:46 AM
Fusing "gold" leaf Gordon Williamson Glass 2 January 25th 04 01:25 AM
What does "salty" diamond mean? And 11k white gold? AuroraeB Jewelry 1 September 13th 03 05:22 PM
Gold filled vs gold clasps CLP Beads 47 July 27th 03 04:34 AM