Hand sewn or sewing machine?

Old July 17th 03, 05:14 PM
Butterfly

Thank you kindly : )Right now I can use them.
At least I'm not 'catchy' so I can send
Cyberhugs and Butterfly Kisses
Butterfly

Lakaya M. Peeples wrote:
adding you to my prayer list butterfly...and sending positive energy your
way.

peepla

.
In article , Butterfly
writes

Her name comes AFTER mine
I *NEED* comatose right now.......
Butterfly (big changes in meds--bod is not adjusting well--just wants
to SLEEEEEEEPPPPPPP)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old July 17th 03, 05:22 PM
Butterfly

Waiting. (never mind the onion rings--don't want ya cryin o'er this
quilt--want it to be a Happy Happy)
Please ring the doorbell as we have FINALLY gotten QI to let us know
when it sounds (took 2 whole years---and at human age 12 that is quite
remarkable!) When she barks inside--it wakes ALL of us ; )
Butterfly (Finally got the next door QI to "quiet" when we say so ; )

Diana Curtis wrote:
I dont see why not! The hard part is going to be collecting all those onion
skins for dyeing. Maybe this project is a bit over my head. Would you be
offended if I showed up with a cheater panel quilt, tied, and a jug of
lemonade instead? lol I can still make you comatose other ways.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Elena" wrote in message

Ermm.. well.. okay. Can't argue with that.
Need any help on Butterfly's? LOL

Elena mmmmmm comatose.... sounds good...This quilt WILL come with you to
housekeep for a week or two, won't it? Not much cleaning, just chase the
kids and dog, and the rocking chair out on the patio needs sitting in for
awhile. Quilting studio readily shared. You can even have my
scrap..errr...stash if I get a quilt out of it.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
. ..

Ok....
scribble, scribble, scratch.... (pen noises dontcha know)
Butterfly, Then Elena... who is next?
Sorry Elena but need comes before want...
Diana
Hurry up meds and sort yourself out, we need out Bfly well and flittin'
about here!

--

"Butterfly" wrote in message

Her name comes AFTER mine
I *NEED* comatose right now.......
Butterfly (big changes in meds--bod is not adjusting well--just wants

SLEEEEEEEPPPPPPP)

Diana Curtis wrote:

No, really, I coudnt do that to you. This quilt will be packed to

the

gunwales with love, I mean it will be oozing from every hand

stitched

seam,

it will be positively squooshy with love and the swoon would last a

fornight

at least. Think how that would cut into your quilting time!
And therein lies the problem. Anyone I would love enough to make

such

quilt for I would also love to much to put them through two weeks of

comatose nature. Such a moral dilema....
But, if I ever do, your name is top on the list.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Elena" wrote in message

Woohoo! You have my snail for this one, right? *grins*

Elena in Tx, who has picked cotton before and has a nice comfy chair

into

which to swoon.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in

message

t...

Dont tell me that you *buy* your fabric?? Dont you know that fabric

you

make

yourself makes the quilt more special? Printing the designs in the

fabric

yourself means more love too... and then you must grow your own
cotton..right?

Diana, going out to the back 40 to plant the cotton which she will

weave

into cloth and dye with onions skins from onions which she grew

herself

and

then on to the cotton gin so she can make her own batt, so that

when

this

quilt is done it will be so chock full of love that the recipient

will

fall

over in a dead swoon when they get it.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

"Marijke" wrote (and I would snip but it all makes so much

sense)

DON'T FEEL LIKE THAT!!
Sorry for yelling (well, not really but anything to get your

attention).

Quilting began by women piecing together pieces of scrap fabrics,

old

clothing and sac cloths out of necessity. That is where the joy

and

beauty

of quilting began. They'd be aghast at some of the snobbery that

lives

in

the craft world these days.

NEVER, EVER be ashamed of where you buy your fabric or how you put

YOUR

quilts together.

There are NO quilt police. There are always judgemental people who

will

tell

others that they aren't good enough parents (gasp, my kids drink

cola),

or

your house isn't clean enough (you mean you DON'T clean your walls

every

week?) or your kids aren't doing well enough in school (what do

you

mean

you

don't force them to do math four hours a day??), or your car isn't

new

enough.......you get my drift. Just as there are people like that,

there

are

those who sniff at anything less than what they would do. You know

what

do about those people? IGNORE THEM.

You sound like me. We quilt because we love it. It's soothing,

it's

relaxing

(well, it's relaxing when it's going well and you're not pulling

out

your

hair and chewing up your lips because a pattern isn't going well

or

the

stupid post office lost a quilt....), we love the beauty and the

work

that

goes into making such lovely products.

I really wish you would share your finds, your methods and all

stuff

like

that. Even us experienced quilters can learn from beginners and -

we

may

even be reminded of what it was like when we first began.

Did I get through to you? grin YOUR quilts, YOUR choices are

just

as

good

as anyone else's here.

Off soapbox now before I fall off,
Marijke

Old July 17th 03, 05:26 PM
Butterfly

Can't you 'picture us' going to a Quilt Show--first row:
Ann AnnaBelle
Barbara
Roberta
Sandy
etc
Butterfly (I would be with all the Winged Ones)

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Where you buy fabric? You'd probably be appalled at some of the places I buy
fabric. Let's just say that prewashing is definitely not optional :-)
Roberta in D, and let's have none of this outsider stuff, all the Robertas
have to stick together

"Roberta" wrote in message

For your comment Pat I'd almost send ya a quilt ;0)

It is nice to know that there are people that are less judgmental out

there.

As an outsider to this group and a new quilter I have to say...I would

never

feel comfortable posting where I buy fabric, what kind of sewing machine I
just bought or how I intend to quilt my projects. I do get a lot from
reading suggestions and links to sales. I also love to look at all of the
beautiful quilts and quilts in progress.

Roberta

In ,
Pat in Virginia typed:

A few oldies but goodies:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet.

Don't rain on my parade.

PAT in VA/USA reminding you all that it is 'more blessed to give
than to receive,' so please give me some quilts

Old July 17th 03, 05:28 PM
Butterfly

Now you'ze fussy on SIZE?????? Here I thought that 'toes coverings'
would be big enuf..
back to the drawing board

Butterfly

LN (remove NOSPAM) wrote:
Hope it a big one then. ;^)

Old July 17th 03, 09:40 PM
Lakaya M. Peeples

Kate....its not the machine that sews bad...its me. I have sewn on 3
different machines....mine, mom's and mom's other one....everyone in this
house can sew strait on them....I cant. I couldn't sew a strait line in
home ec class in school many-many-not saying how many-years ago, and I have
not improved at it now. so when it comes to machine sewing....mom and I
kinda have a deal...I give her patterns for stuff I want, she gives me stuff
she needs hemmed. works out well. she doesn't like hand stitching, and my
machine stitching is embarrassing.

peepla

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
"Lakaya M. Peeples" wrote:

this is what I am saying....I quilt better by hand. by machine....I

don't
want to admit to being the stitcher....I cant sew worth 3 nickels on a
machine. and when I am doing my best....I am doing it by hand. If I

want
to be embarrassed...I will machine the top. I hide my machine stitches
where no one is looking. my ------- looks like /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ when

am sewing by machine. when I am sewing by hand ... my ------- looks
like -------.

peepla

Sounds like time the machine got looked at. If you are doing a lot of
sewing, it might need a service and clean up every year - expensive, but
worth it. You could try taking the machine in for a look-see and
estimate. If it's either not economical to get it fixed, or can't be
fixed, it's time to replace. If the cash for new is not available, take
a good long look at used machines. There are some real bargains out
there, and some very nice older machines going really cheap. I loved my
second hand Viscount so much I gave it to my mum when I bought my new
machine. It doesn't have all the scary electronics, and stitches really
well.

We are having a discussion about good and bad machines on another sewing
ng I take part in, and are of the opinion there that bad machinery is
responsible for a lot of folk struggling and fighting with their sewing,
and learning to hate it.

In the end you have to do what makes you love what you are doing - and
my advice is free, so you can ignore it without risking offending me!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 17th 03, 09:57 PM
Diana Curtis

She has big toes.
Diana

--

"Butterfly" wrote in message
Now you'ze fussy on SIZE?????? Here I thought that 'toes coverings'
would be big enuf..
back to the drawing board

Butterfly

LN (remove NOSPAM) wrote:
Hope it a big one then. ;^)

Old July 17th 03, 10:44 PM
Butterfly

Sounds like you are watching the needle--not a few inches in front of.
Bad habit to break. Hint: put a pin a few inches (3 or 4 would be good)
in front of where you are sewing--line the needle and the pin up--now
watch the PIN as it goes toward the needle....stop about an inch from
the needle--do NOT check your sewing line yet...move the pin once
again--whole purpose is to watch the pin and NOT the needle-- continue
sewing a good 12 inches before you check to see if it makes any difference.
Butterfly (didn't say it would be perfect--you are learning a new 'eye
spot')

Old July 17th 03, 10:45 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:10:15 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Dont tell me that you *buy* your fabric?? Dont you know that fabric you make
yourself makes the quilt more special? Printing the designs in the fabric
yourself means more love too... and then you must grow your own
cotton..right?

Diana, going out to the back 40 to plant the cotton which she will weave
into cloth and dye with onions skins from onions which she grew herself and
then on to the cotton gin so she can make her own batt, so that when this
quilt is done it will be so chock full of love that the recipient will fall
over in a dead swoon when they get it.

ARe you like - the Martha Stewart of Quilting?

Old July 17th 03, 11:19 PM
Kate Dicey

Paul & Suzie Beckwith wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:43:10 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

"Lakaya M. Peeples" wrote:

excuse me but what's a squishie? is that anything like a warm fuzzy?

peepla

Squishies give one the warm fuzzies! Send me your snail mail address,
and I'll show you!

--
Kate XXXXXX

Is this an open invitation? BEG!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

You wanna chocolate squishy, send the addy! Can't eat the chocky meself
at present!
Old July 17th 03, 11:26 PM
Kate Dicey

"Lakaya M. Peeples" wrote:

Kate....its not the machine that sews bad...its me. I have sewn on 3
different machines....mine, mom's and mom's other one....everyone in this
house can sew strait on them....I cant. I couldn't sew a strait line in
home ec class in school many-many-not saying how many-years ago, and I have
not improved at it now. so when it comes to machine sewing....mom and I
kinda have a deal...I give her patterns for stuff I want, she gives me stuff
she needs hemmed. works out well. she doesn't like hand stitching, and my
machine stitching is embarrassing.

peepla

Aha! What you need isn't a new sewing machine, it's PRACTICE!

I bet you watch where the needle goes into the fabric, rather than where
the edge of the fabric goes past the edge of the foot! It's a bit like
driving - you don't watch where the wheels are on the road, you look
where you are going!

However, if you are happier doing it all by hand, don't let me stop
you! Personally, I'm a mad machinist, as you can see on my web site
- hit the URL below.