Starting a Discount Fabric Store

Old March 30th 04, 04:28 AM
Pat

Default Starting a Discount Fabric Store

Hi all,

I'm thinking about starting a fabric discount store in a well
populated area of the East Coast. There is really only one other store
that caters to discounted fabrics and that accounts for only 25% of
the store's revenue.

The closest discount fabric store is about 1.5 hours away and I really
believe the area needs an alternative.

The other idea I had would be to start a designer fabric
warehouse/giant retail store in the area. It's a pretty affluent area,
so I believe it would do well. Just can't decide which to choose!

thanks for any help,
-Pat
Old March 30th 04, 12:40 PM
Ward

Hi,

Sounds like a great project. If you are going to be anywhere in NJ, go for
the designer fabric store. We can always get ordinary fabrics at Joann's
but have to go to NYC, Philadelphia, or the DC area for really good quality
fabrics.

Liz

om...

Old March 30th 04, 06:06 PM
Carey1003

Not sure of where on the East Coast you are but I know that I can pretty much
get speciality and "classy" fabrics at a store between CT and MA, and I can go
to 1.99 store in CT to get quantity at a discount but I also know there is
nothing near where I am moving to in Western MA for discount. Don't know if
that helps but its my $.02.

Carey
Old March 30th 04, 06:16 PM
Charlotte

My input:

I can get high-end fabric on the web (as well as in the many specialty
shops in Boston). If I'm going to be spending $15/yard or greater I want
to get *exactly* what I want and usually the web is best for that. Or a
special trip to Britex!

However, a really good discount store is invaluable. I have a great one
two blocks from my office but it's so great that my mother plans to fly
out from Colorado when it comes time to decorate her new house. I *will*
make a point of returning to this store every time I come back here.

If you're willing to maintain a web presence, by all means go high-end.
If not I think your best bet is best value fabrics.

BTW: for the prices my discount store beats JoAnn's every day of the
week, even w/a 50% off coupon. There is the most beautiful 100% silk
there now for $1.99/yard and I really wish I
1. had room for it
2. had a project for it (in that order, I'd buy it without a project if
I could only store it. What reds! What blues!)

Good luck!
-Charlotte

Old March 30th 04, 06:38 PM

Starting a Discount Fabric Store

(Pat)
I'm thinking about starting a fabric discount store in a well populated
area of the East Coast. There is really only one other store that caters
to discounted fabrics and that accounts for only 25% of the store's
revenue.
The closest discount fabric store is about 1.5 hours away and I really
believe the area needs an alternative.
The other idea I had would be to start a designer fabric warehouse/giant
retail store in the area. It's a pretty affluent area, so I believe it
would do well. Just can't decide which to choose!
thanks for any help,
----------------
Pat, don't know how much help this will be, but FWIW: Here in the
Hampton Roads area, we have just recently gotten large enough,
demographically, to attract a wide variety of national chain stores and
shops. At the same time, competition among fabric suppliers has fallen
dramatically, with large shops closing their doors, (Piece Goods) or
concentrating their main business supplies into the crafting supply
arena, instead of fabrics and notions. I refer, mainly, to TSWLTH,
otherwise known as Joann's. They have positioned themselves as a craft
and garden-art type shop, cramming an increasingly scant fabric supply
into the messy mix.
Their other competitor, Hancock's, is more expensive, but carries a
full line of dress fabrics, notions, and uph/drapery fabrics, and their
sales help are excellent; cheerful and always ready to help plan a
project or figure yardage. unlike the trolls who work elsewhere.
Local, individual-owned craft stores are plentiful, and Wal-Mart is
barely a blip on my fabric radar. We have a great interior fabric/
workroom shop in town, and a large fabric shop on the other side of
town, which I rarely frequent, since prom-gown making days are over. On
the craft side, we have Michael's,
Garden Ridge, Wal-Mart, scores of small stores, and...err...(brain is
now Officially Out of Info; except that it is a nationwide chain, a
newcomer in the local crafting market, and I don't see their ad in the
phone book.)
So, it would appear that everyone can craft, but few people spend a
lot of money sewing. Except me. I've gone to on-line shopping to round
out the selection.
I hope you do your homework and/or have lots of play money to get
started. If you built it here locally, I will come...and bring all of my
friends, even the non-sewing ones.
Cea

Old March 30th 04, 06:43 PM

Starting a Discount Fabric Store

(Charlotte) teased us:
snip
However, a really good discount store is invaluable. I have a great one
two blocks from my office but it's so great that my mother plans to fly
out from Colorado when it comes time to decorate her new house. I *will*
make a point of returning to this store every time I come back here.
BTW: for the prices my discount store beats JoAnn's every day of the
week, even w/a 50% off coupon. There is the most beautiful 100% silk
there now for $1.99/yard and I really wish I
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A01. had room for it
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A02. had a project for it
(in that order, I'd buy it without a project if I could only store it.
What reds! What blues!)
-Charlotte
----
OK, this is really dirty pool, Charlotte!! Does this discount store
have a web address, or a phone number, or even a name? We like to share
good sources--if we don't, they may go belly-up, and who wants that?
Cea

Old March 31st 04, 09:03 PM
Elaine Carpman

"Charlotte" wrote in message

Oh Charlotte,I have been there.There used to be one very close to my home,

but that store closed. I have been to the one on Morrisey Blvd when I was
working in the area. I miss having the one near me. Right now the one I like
near me is Fabric Place,the rem table has netted me some really nice fabric
especially with a coupon on top of it.
Elaine (south of Boston)

No web address but you can always come visit Cea!

The name is SewFisticated, I learned about it on this board years ago,
and they're just great! I can get the phone number next time I'm there.

Some staff members pride themselves on harassing the guests. One in
particular. I was really surprised when she started yelling at a
customer to not mess up the flat-folds. I watched and she was smiling so
I realized she didn't mean it. Now we take turns dishing out sass to
each other and get along great. She cuts very generously for me!

You can also email me your address and I'll send some silk along...

-Charlotte

Old March 31st 04, 09:11 PM
Charlotte

Elaine Carpman wrote:

Oh Charlotte,I have been there.There used to be one very close to my home,

but that store closed. I have been to the one on Morrisey Blvd when I was
working in the area. I miss having the one near me. Right now the one I like
near me is Fabric Place,the rem table has netted me some really nice fabric
especially with a coupon on top of it.
Elaine (south of Boston)

Elaine,
I haven't been there but it sounds really nice!
-Charlotte

New online fabric store rubyjane Marketplace 0 January 15th 05 02:39 PM
Great fabric store! -- Jo in Scotland Quilting 1 April 19th 04 06:28 PM
quilt shops in NY Terbear Quilting 8 April 6th 04 08:41 PM
New to me on-line fabric store Andrea Quilting 4 October 22nd 03 12:52 AM
Wonky Fabric Rant Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 15 August 8th 03 12:50 PM