(kinda) new to sewing

Old December 1st 03, 06:19 PM
azalea

Default (kinda) new to sewing

I need some advice so I thought this would be the best place ask! My
highschool semi formal is coming up in a couple of months, and I've
been searching far and wide for a dress, but to no avail. I was on the
net last night and found THE perfect dress--
http://a1624.g.akamai.net/7/1624/146...0026_5f2cb.jpg
, but I don't have nor want to pay $400 for it!

I've only made some simple skirts, nothing this elaborate. Do you guys
think that this will be too difficult for an almost newbie to make? It
doesn't look too difficult (but this is to a novice eye)...it's a
cotton poly blend, which I'm sure I could find at a fabric store, and
the ribbons would hide the seams and darts so even if I made a mistake
that could be covered. Am I completely deluding myself here? (please
say no...haha!)
Old December 1st 03, 08:18 PM
Valkyrie

"azalea" wrote in message
om...
I need some advice so I thought this would be the best place ask!

snip-ed
Am I completely deluding myself here? (please
say no...haha!)

OK, just to make you happy I'll say, "You are completely deluding yourself."

On the other hand the dress doesn't really look that difficult, just sort of
futzy with sewing that bias down so it's VERY straight and even. If you
don't have a pattern for it that just maybe a whole new can of worms for you
if you've only made simple skirts from ready made patterns. Are you going to
have to draft your own pattern? I can see where a ready made pattern easily
could be used and darting the skirt instead of gathering would work, the
fact that it has a sash around the waist would save you grief from trying to
fit a one piece dress all with darting. Your figure would also have a lot to
do with how difficult it would be to fit.

Do you know a more experienced sewist who, in person, could help you out?
From the eye of an "oldie" I'd say it wouldn't be that difficult if you had
a gentle guiding hand to give you a little assistance over the humps. Where
do you live?

Val

Old December 2nd 03, 01:36 AM
azalea

Hey Val

I was going to draft my own pattern, but you're right, that's probably
going to be even more difficult to do. The skirts that I'd previously
made were "by eye", but then again, they were really really simple.
ie, straight cotton skirts with two darts at the back..not biased or
anything. I think your idea about finding a pattern and then modifying
it to fit the dress would work best (merci!).

I'm not quite sure where it's sewn on a bias...would you be able to
point that out to me? Is that going to be difficult to do for someone
who's never sewn biased before? (again, please say no, lol)

"I can see where a ready made pattern easily
could be used and darting the skirt instead of gathering would work, the
fact that it has a sash around the waist would save you grief from trying to
fit a one piece dress all with darting. "

so there would be darts in two places...the skirt and the bodice? are
the darts on the skirt hidden under the ribbon details? Is that how
they achieved the vents on the skirt? um, would you mind terribly to
explain this part to me again? I totally appreciate this!

Unfortunately no one in my family really sews, so I think I'm on my
own for this one. But I'm up to the challenge...if this works, I will
be the belle of the ball! haha

PS: anyone know why it takes hours for my posts to post?
Old December 2nd 03, 01:50 AM
Penny S

azalea murmured while asleep:

PS: anyone know why it takes hours for my posts to post?

I show you sent at 4:36, I downloaded it at 4:50/ that's not so bad. Web
traffic can have a lot to do with it, so can your ISP.

Penny S

Old December 2nd 03, 02:01 AM
Pat

This message is marked 6:50, and I got it at 7:00........that's pretty
snappy really......

Old December 2nd 03, 04:51 AM
Valkyrie

If you get a dress pattern in a style very close to what you are seeing in
that picture you'd save yourself a lot of grief. Fitted bodice and fuller,
probably slightly gathered skirt. Instead of gathering the skirt fit it with
darts until the waist fits smoothly around the bodice. You'll also want
those skirt darts to line up with the front and back bodice darts and also
the side seams. It looks like these are also at the same level around the
skirt. Measure, measure, measure. The darted seams down the skirt are NOT
sewn closed, into a point like the tip of a bodice dart. That's what is
giving it a little flare at the bottom of the ribbon. I'd press those darts
flat before you apply the ribbon. This may take a little time for you to
get it all lined up but you have quite a few weeks so it shouldn't be a
problem...........do NOT wait until the weekend before your dance!! After
you get the bodice and skirt sewn together at the waist (with the darts
lined up) then I would put down the tape......I referred to the dark pink
ribbon as bias tape, didn't mean to confuse you into thinking that the dress
was cut on the bias. If you are able to get the double sided, WATER SOLUBLE
basting tape it would be very easy to apply the dark pink ribbon or double
fold bias tape with this and then CAREFULLY STITCH VERY STRAIGHT down very
close to each side of the ribbon. I might also suggest you take some of your
dress fabric scrapes and that ribbon, or tape or whatever you use for the
dark pink in the picture, and practice before you apply it to your dress. If
your machine has any fancy stitches try those out......it's just
experimental scrapes and you won't hurt a thing. Since you are making this
out of cotton I think it will be especially lovely because after all your
hard work you can wear it for a little summer dress too, not just a fancy
party or dance dress, yet it will still be most appropriate for that as
well. You just might get really brave and make a Bolero type jacket to go
with it later on. I wouldn't even worry about making the EXACT dress, just
close using the details you like most. I think what is most eye-catching it
the dark pink details and the sash tied in front is just darling.......plus
it will hide little oooooooopsies of an adventurous sewing project.

Just one more thing......when people are showering you with compliments DO
NOT point out any little errors or mistakes. Believe me nobody knows about
them but you and they are all but invisible to anyone's eye but your own. So
you just flash your beautiful smile, flutter your lashes and say, "Thank
you, I designed and made this myself." And then you go back to the lucky
young man who had the good sense to ask you to dance ;-)

Where do you live? If you were anywhere even close to me I'd take you under
my wing in a heartbeat. That's just the cutest little dress!! I'd love to
help you!

Val

m...

Old December 2nd 03, 09:24 PM
Cynthia Nottingham \(MS\)

This Vogue pattern might be a good place to start:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin...&UK=31 605874

You'd need to remove the but darts (the ones that go from the side bodice
seam to the point of the bust) and then add two in the two center "pleats".
It would be easy to do the cut-out at the bust.

I agree that the hardest part will be all of the trim work - I'm no good at
getting that kind of stuff straight

Good luck!

om...

Old December 2nd 03, 10:38 PM
azalea

Hi Val

You're help has been awesome...I'm so stoked to make this dress!!

Just a couple more questions :O

you said to get a pattern with a fitted body but a gathered
skirt...um, where are the gathers? cause to me it looks like a fitted
body with a full skirt? are the gathers at the back of the skirt? (is
this a pretty common pattern? Hopefully fabricland will carry it!)

you mentioned that the sash would make it easier bc i wouldn't have to
make one long dart from the bodice to the skirt? so do I make two
darts, one on the bodice (how far would that go?) and one on the
skirt?

about the darts on the skirts...you said that they wouldn't be sewn
shut...so are they inverted darts then? I was practicing last night on
a scrap piece of fabric and i just sewed a straight line down after
having folded the scrap in half and it looked kinda like the picture?
-- but i guess this is wrong, right?

yay to no bias! haha! so just cut straight on the fabric?

I'm in Toronto, any chance you are as well?

Thank you again for all your help!
Old December 2nd 03, 10:39 PM
azalea

hiya! I posted last night (well Toronto's last night hehe!) but it
didn't show up for me until this afternoon. was just curious...I'm not
the most patient person