Which Tool?

Old September 28th 03, 01:57 PM
BUB 209

Default Which Tool?

I do wood repair for a car restorer and every now and then a tricky
assignment pops up - what it is, some of the old cars from the '30s
have cloth tops over a wood frame. Where the top meets the body
in the back the upholsterer needs a groove to tuck the cloth into, and
I tried using a tiny saw blade in a rotary tool but it damages the metal
molding where the body meets the top. I'm now thinking of using a
1/8" gouge to make the groove, it has to be at least 3/8" deep so I'd
have to do some digging. Could anybody make a suggestion as to
the right tool for this? Thanks.
Old September 28th 03, 08:22 PM
M. lane

You might do well with a homemade router plane. I have used the 1/8' gouge
and think it would take a while to get right, whereas the router plane would
be preset to the depth you wanted, use a blade width of your choosing (or
making) and therefore be harder to botch, making things go faster.

Old September 29th 03, 03:34 PM
Bill

You might consider a 'macaroni' gouge if you need a square bottomed groove..
However, I don't know if they are made that small. They will be a challenge
to sharpen because they are essentially a double 'v' tool.

My choice would be a 1/8" #11 "U" gouge. As the name suggests.. they are
shaped like a "U" and you can go as deep as you like. They are quite easy
to sharpen.

If you have trouble finding a good one.. contact me.. I sell the Stubai
line.. a high quality Austrian steel tool.

Bill

Karved Keepsakes and Carving Supplies
Healdsburg, CA

Ho

Old September 30th 03, 08:11 PM
Don

Bub,

This link will take you to the Stewart Mcdonald guitar repair site and you
will find this tool (a channel routing jig) that attaches to your dremel
unit. It will do the job without problems for the most part, but you might
still have to do the last 1/2 inch by hand with small chisel, but will do
a fine job any way. Or check out a copy of the Marquetry and Inlay
Handbook ( Chapt 9 esp. pg 140 that explains how to use the channel jig)
which devotes an entire chapter to the exact problem you are having
including home made tools to do the same job. Good luck. Don

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Dr...ter_Guide.html

--
************************************
Please go to these links to help my good friend Katie Gesto

Old October 1st 03, 05:02 PM
Brent Beal

The small hand router that uses a 1/4" blade will probably work if you do
not want to use a power tool such as the Dremel. This router is used by
some for marquetry(sic). Woodcraft plus some of the others carry it. Not to
costly either.

New Thunderbird Looping Tool? Mj Beads 3 June 26th 04 09:13 PM
I get a new tool! Kalera Stratton Beads 9 June 12th 04 08:05 AM
Osibin Lentil Tool Question Juanita Floyd Beads 7 April 10th 04 11:02 PM
AD: Lampworking Tool, Burgard Caps and Furnace Glass Tinkster Beads 0 February 24th 04 08:25 AM
Jewelry Designer Manager tool? Pam Beads 30 February 12th 04 11:07 PM