support request - sorta OT, sorta long

Old July 17th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Default support request - sorta OT, sorta long

I think I've mentioned before that I get together every Friday with 6 or
8 others to quilt, visit, drink coffee, have sack lunch, etc, etc. We get
together for about four hours.
When I moved into this house 3.5 years ago it was a cold Feb. day. But
soon after that I had a spring garage sale and my elderly neighbor from
across the street came over. She was very friendly and glad to meet me,
said she believes in 'neighborin' back and forth. So we did. One thing led
to another and I started taking her with me every Friday.
Now she absolutely lives for that social event of her entire week. She
is 87 years old, has arthritis in her hands, a fairly bad back, and failing
eyesight. She has never quilted a day in her life, and can't see to sew
anymore, but loves to be with us as we sew, talk, drink coffee, and eat.
She can eat, talk, and drink coffee with the best of us!
She hires a driver to take her grocery shopping, to pick up her meds.,
and to get her hair done. Recently her back has taken a turn for the worse.
She is developing compression fractures, and can't even get around as much
as she used to. She's no dummy, and she sees herself slowly going downhill.
She and I are both glad it is not happening any faster than it is, but it is
still making her sad and causing her to feel isolated.
Now I come to the point of my post here. Remember the good old days of
pen pals? No one had computers back then, and the greatest thrill was to
develop a pen pal from a magazine or a school exchange or something. I was
wondering if anyone here would like to become a pen pal to my friend and
neighbor? It would literally put her on cloud nine if someone would do
that, and continue it, developing a bit of a friendship with her.
If anyone at all is thinking they would like to do this, please email me
and I will give you the particulars, including what size font, or what kind
of pen to use so she will be able to read it.
Thanks for reading this far, and taking this into consideration.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 18th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Harper

I can't guarantee that I'd write every week, but I'll happily drop her a
line and play back and forth! I used to have penpals when I was a growing
up, and let's face it, I miss having a "grandma" type person in my life, so
yep, I'll take on the challenge.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z37/shazrules/

Old July 18th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René

On Jul 17, 8:12 am, "Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com
wrote:
[...]

Karen, I love writing letters! I can't write much by hand any more,
but I type in large type and have beautiful stationery just sitting
there gathering dust. I used to write to my step-father's aunt until
she passed away. He didn't write, but I got to know her, even though
I'd only met her once. She sent me a little package of things when
she sold her house. Very sweet.

I'm going to be 59 in August. I was raised by my grandparents, so I
feel like I relate well to that age group. Even my DMIL was the
same age as my grandmother.

I was an RN and had to retire in '97, due to bad health. I have 2
grown kids and 2 little granddaughters, who are the reason I get up in
the morning. So I stay home 98% of the time, and go the my doctor's
the other 2%. But I've learned to live with it the best I can and I'm
happy.

If you'd like, email me at -- I can give you
more information so that you can judge if she would like to be my
penpal, too.

I don't write much in RCTQ -- it's gotten to be such a big and busy
group. But I do try to read as much as I can. And you all have given
me some very good advice when I've asked specific questions.

René

Old July 18th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Sharon that's great, exactly what I was looking for. Please email me, just
hit reply and remove the spaces.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old July 18th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Karen, this has touched my heart as I can easily see myself becoming a
shut-in. Please send me her name and address. I will do my best to
write to her.

Sunny

Old August 5th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
christy

wrote:

[...]

René- Hide quoted text -

I would like to know what kind of person you would like as a pen pal
because i would like a pen pal also. My e-mail is