Tell me, tell me

Old December 13th 05, 01:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Tell me, tell me

Did you get to see Nancy Elliott MacDonald on Simply Quilts today? The
show's number is QLT-1135. Have you ever been in one of her classes? Do
you have her book "Winding Ways Quilts"? Do you have her templates and have
you used them? I thought it was a delightful show and I really enjoyed Ms.
MacDonald, especially when she said to Alex, "You are sooooo left-handed" as
though it took a double dose of insight to teach Alex. We would think that
Alex was rather easy to teach. Maybe not. Polly

Old December 13th 05, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've TIVO'd it. I hope. Bought the template about a year ago, but haven't
tried it. The Winding Ways quilt I saw at a shop was done in batiks and
absolutely fascinating. How difficult did doing it look on SQ?

--Heidi
Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

--

nk.net...

Old December 13th 05, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

As life goes, you may have TIVO'd the weather in Biloxi, which was
beautifully clear today. A great day for making fudge. What was the
question?
Oh yes.
It was easy for her.
But she did such a neat job of explaining fabric choices. Her common
sense explanation of what is convex and what is concave and how to remember,
and which piece goes on top when stitching, "belly sticking out below
t-shirt" were not just "cute", they made great sense.
I've set in many a curve in garment making. Fabrics with a little
flexibility are easier to get to result in a smooth curve. I've not tried
the MacDonald templates but would just imagine that batiks wouldn't be as
cooperative as others might be. Polly

Old December 13th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've done a fair amount of piecing with free-form curves, both of batik and
dupioni, and batik with dupioni, but nothing that's actually had to form a
specific arc. Feels a bit intimidating, but I'm equally worried about the
confusion factor in this design g

Old December 13th 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I also saw it... and actually jumped online and bought the books and
template. Making a quilt like that has been on my TO DO list for a very
long time. She made it look easy.

I don't think it was Alex herself that was the problem, but having worked
with lefties before -- one-on-one you can do it okay -- but if you have a
class full of people -- you need to try to do things twice -- and if you are
a righty -- there is NOTHING natural about trying to do it lefty (hard to
even think lefty!)

Kate in MI

Old December 13th 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I tried to tape it...but have a new dvd/vcr player and can't really figure
it out yet!...
I did record one program but now I can't figure it out..!..

Old December 13th 05, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've done the 'usual' version of this quilt, but it was called 'wheel of
mystery' in the magazine where I found the pattern. I didn't know that
curves were supposed to be a challenge, so I just did them. Just make sure
to find your centers, match them and pin, and then pin the ends of each
curve. The rest pretty much falls into place. Can't speak for the updated
versions on the website, but I would think the rule is the same. I would do
it again, if that helps. You can see the quilt on my quilt page under
'wheel of mystery'.

chipper
http://home.triad.rr.com/chip16/

Old December 13th 05, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh that's lovely.
One of these days I'll get tempted into making a quilt with blocks - and
I love this one.
..
In message , Chipper
writes
I've done the 'usual' version of this quilt, but it was called 'wheel of
mystery' in the magazine where I found the pattern. I didn't know that
curves were supposed to be a challenge, so I just did them. Just make sure
to find your centers, match them and pin, and then pin the ends of each
curve. The rest pretty much falls into place. Can't speak for the updated
versions on the website, but I would think the rule is the same. I would do
it again, if that helps. You can see the quilt on my quilt page under
'wheel of mystery'.

chipper
http://home.triad.rr.com/chip16/

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 13th 05, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I haven't seen the show yet (I TiVo'd it), but I have to chime in that Nancy
is in my guild and is a Really Nice Person, even if she can't fold a quilt
to save her life.

Oh, and I do have her templates, and they work great.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps