one more hand quilting question.

Old December 11th 05, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default one more hand quilting question.

Howdy!
Whichever. If the index finger works for the quilter, fine.

I like the thimble on my middle finger, leaving the index sheathed
in a finger cot, making it easy to grip the needle w/ index finger
and thumb. I've only been quilting for 30+ yrs. tho',
so ymmv. And I'm only a "professional handquilter" while
some people are "experts." LOL

Ragmop/Sandy--happy that "expert quilter" Alex A found a
technique that works for her ;-D

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
slap me around!!
i got that wrong, alex puts her thimble on her pointer finger, using her
thumb/middle finger to start/pull thru the needle.
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...854813,00.html
heres the link with pix of alex quilting, close up.
i think the thimble on pointer finger leaves thumb and middle finger to be
the ends of the seesaw action with thimble as the centre, if that makes any
sense. probly doesnt at this point in time.

i'm soooooo sorry folks. i truly have lost my mind.
if anyone finds it please send it back via email, its quicker and as you can
see i'm in dire need of help.
i'd go back to bed but i've got stupid online stuff to deal with today
again. arghhhh.
why am i the only one who can do this stuff i gotta do.
cheers,
jeanne
all these months without sound and today my daily virus scan shows theres a
sound file that has a trojan horse in it, eeeeeeeek, oh hell, now more crap
to deal with today and we ate all the cake
virus scan update, file removed, good thing i do a daily update and a daily
scan on this computer, sure is easy when you got your settings to do just
that each day, whewwww, all fixed now but still no sound, oh well
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
http://community.webshots.com/user/VirtualQuilting
"nzlstar*" wrote...
what finger do you wear your thimble on?
i watched alex anderson on Simply Quilts and she uses it on her midde
finger.
this leaves her index/pointer and thumb to start the stitching and pull
the needle thru each time.
how do you do it?
cheers,
jeanne
stuff the garden, i'll go out during the week when dh isnt there bugging
me

Old December 12th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I can deal with your losing you mind cause it's gotta be in the same place mine has gone off to today. But I am starting to HAVE A PROBLEM with your not having any sound.

Butterfly (who now has a microphone on her compie--well--who said you gotta wait until Christmas to get a prezzie.
Memory rekindled: when the kidlets were really little, SIL would send a huge package full of tiny prezzies--one to be opened every day for 2 weeks before Christmas. That way they would not get overwhelmed Christmas Day)
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...54813,00..html

Old December 12th 05, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I was 'taught' to use the middle finger to. Took me a while to figure out
that Alex was using 'the wrong finger' so to speak. At first, I thought it
was 'for the camera' : )

Butterfly (on of those DUH moments)

et...

Old December 12th 05, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's the way I do it; 2 thimbles. Roxanne on the middle finger,
Thimblelay on the thumb. My thumb thimble doesn't fit well; too big;
but I like using it; means I can do multiple directions with a much
more relaxed wrist position.

The trickiest part was learning to pince the needle between the thumb
thimble and my pointer.

susan kratefield
see my quilts: members.cox.net/kratersge

Old December 13th 05, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 18:27:09 +1300, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

what finger do you wear your thimble on?

cheers,
jeanne

Thimble? I'm supposed to use one?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old December 13th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

dont ya need something on your finger when handquilting?
heck i also use a soft leather one when doing hand applique to push the
needle thru on some of those snug spots.
without it i'd have a ouchy on my finger.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
http://community.webshots.com/user/VirtualQuilting

"Debra" wrote...

Old December 14th 05, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

When i first started hand quilting, I didn't use a thimble. I wanted to get
used to the motion and feel of doing it first. I wear one now, though, or
i'd have massively chewed up middle finger on right hand.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
quilting, beads, scrapbooking, cross stitch and other 'crafti' obsessions