Bunnies :) and a pig! :( (long) (partially OT)

Old July 16th 03, 11:39 PM
Mel Rimmer

Default Bunnies :) and a pig! :( (long) (partially OT)

In article , Eyren
writes
snip
Oh, and to add insult to injury, there is another student in the same boat.
Except she missed her "weeks" because her brother died, tragically, after a car
accident!

I go on holiday this Friday, and it has put a blight on the whole thing. I
will do the work, and I suppose I shall have to accept this decision in the
end. But it just feels so unfair!

hugs It must be infuriating when you had done so much hard work, and
they certainly *should* have told you if a certain amount of attendance
was required. But I also understand the rules - a diploma, or degree, or
any other qualification isn't a certificate that means "this person is
intelligent and hard-working". It means "this person knows a lot about
teaching dyslexic kids" (or whatever), and if you missed some of the
course then they can't give you a certificate that says you learned
stuff that, in fact, you missed, no matter how good a reason you have.
I've been studying with the Open University for about 7 years now and
this kind of thing comes up fairly often with my fellow students. I am
sympathetic - it's still completely infuriating, and it *is* unfair that
you were ill and so you couldn't get the qualification. But it's your
illness that's unfair, not the rule.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old July 17th 03, 12:45 AM
Kate Dicey

Eyren wrote:

It's been one of those weeks.

First the happy dance. I have finally sashed and sandwiched the bunny BOM
wallhanging that I have been working on (and off) for ages. It looks great (if
I say so myself) and when it's quilted should look good in DD's bedroom.

I was lucky to get some pale green fabric (Debbie Mumm) that has all the months
writtten on it. Very apt as all the bunnies are months of the year. (January
snow bunny, Feb. Valentine bunny etc.) I have sashed and backed it with that
and will eventually bind it likewise.

Quilting? I think outlining, echo around the bunnies and maybe the months
"written" under each one should do. Some MQ some HQ.

Then the bummer! A real pig!

I've been doing a course leading to an Advanced Diploma in Dyslexia teaching
for the past two years. It has been incredibly hard graft (though interesting)
and finished yesterday. I have been travelling every Tuesday about 50miles to
attend the day sessions, then doing assignments at home amongst teaching full
time etc. etc..

Anyway, I had a "small procedure" (ask Homer Simpson!) on my sinuses which
meant I had to miss a week, then I got (still got actually) an infection that
had me off work, with Dr's note, for three weeks. So I missed three day
sessions.

I now find that I can't pass the course this time because I missed more than
two weeks! They have given me two extra assignments to do before September and
say I can get my certificate in January!! I have completed all the real
assignments, on time, and been marked highly for each one. No one else has to
do these extras.

At no time was it ever mentioned that I had to do 90% attendance, but even if
it had, I was ill! Isn't that a mitigating circumstance? I'm so mad I could
spit teeth! I rang the course tutor this morning and she couldn't see what all
the fuss was about. I WILL pass....eventually. But that is not the point!
Had I known that I would fail the attendance criteria ( and it was never
mentioned as so big a deal when I called in sick, in plenty of time, I might
add) I would have arranged to have been driven down, in an ambulance if
necessary, and sat through the ******** lecture!

Oh, and to add insult to injury, there is another student in the same boat.
Except she missed her "weeks" because her brother died, tragically, after a car
accident!

I go on holiday this Friday, and it has put a blight on the whole thing. I
will do the work, and I suppose I shall have to accept this decision in the
end. But it just feels so unfair!

Thanks for letting me let off steam. I really needed that!

Nel (Gadget Queen)
Sartor Resartus
(feeling lousy)

Oh, Nelly! Commiserating (((HUGS))) on the way! That's just cruel,
after all that work (and I saw bits of it folks, and it weren't easy,
I'm telling y'all! Specially not with a full time job and kids to
contend with!).

Are you able to post pix of those bunnies? They are as cute as my
little pink bridesmaid dresses and I'd love to see them all done. And
did you complete that white silk cushion? Wanna see dat too!

Now you listen to yer Auntie Katie here - forget the whole lot and enjoy
the holiday - you earned it!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk