best white gold?

Old July 10th 05, 06:46 PM
Carl

Heinrich Butschal wrote:

This story is really funny, why you didn=B4t tell them that white gold is=
only=20
found in full moon nights and rose gold in dawn? :-))

Ah, here's a story to tell them:
"Gold takes on the color of the first light to hit it. Most miners'
headlamps are battery powered flashlight sort of things that give a
yellow light, so most gold comes out yellow. In some mines they use
mirrors to bring in sunlight so they can get very light yellow gold and
we call it 'white gold'. Mirroring in moonlight was tried to get
_really_ white gold, but it made silver, so they don't do that any more.
Rose gold is produced at dawn and sunset in those same mirror mines.
Some mines have experimented with using multicolored lasers but that
produced opals and Australia already has enough of those."

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.

Old July 10th 05, 06:46 PM
m4816k

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
news
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:38:36 -0700, in ¤õ Rick Cook
wrote:

Let me ask another question about 'white golds'.

How easy is it to solder white gold to yellow gold? The discussion got
me thinking of a design using a yellow gold base with white gold
decoration soldered on.

Easy to do. Both yellow gold solders or white gold solders can be used.

The
decision is mostly one of which color solder will better fit the design

needs.

I'm thinking here of a true white gold or even a high-nickle gold alloy
since the white gold wouldn't be resting in constant contact with the

skin.

Um. So just what do you consider "true" white gold? Do please remember

that
there is no pure gold that is anything other than bright yellow when in

it's
normal massive metallic form as we use it.. All white gold alloys are

mixes of
yellow gold with other metals, usually either using nickle or palladium

"bleach" out the yellow color to an acceptable degree of whiteness. So

what do
you consider "true"?

I'm reminded of one only somewhat humerous interchange with a customer

once, who'd
been told by some ignorant mall store sales girl, or perhaps it was from

some home
shopping channel thing on TV (don't recall which) , that white gold came

from a
different type of gold mine than yellow gold... No amount of careful

discussion
or detailed explanation of alloying could convince this woman that white

gold was
an alloy of ordinary and usual yellow gold with other metals to make it

white.

Peter

That sounds similar to the last paragraph written here
http://www.24carat.co.uk/whatiswhitegold.html
Enjoy!

Old July 11th 05, 04:22 PM

Gee, that's funny -- I always used 18k alloyed with palladium and it
was nice and ductile, brilliant white (like 19k gold solder, eh? Never
had to rhodium it, great stuff. I know I must have tried commercial
alloys when I was new to all this, but never had much luck with it as I
remember. 10% Irid-platinum or 5% rhodium-platinum is better.

Abrasha wrote:
m4816k wrote:
14k vs. 18k?
Palladium vs. nickel?

Which brings the best white color? Thanks!

Best white gold? That is like asking, "What is the best root canal?"
There is no such thing as white, white gold.

Besides which, it is a contradiction in terms.

Don't use it. If you want white, use Platinum, Silver, or (if possible)
stainless steel.

White gold! It is such "Dreck"!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

White Gold Earwires? Lilyflower Beads 5 May 28th 05 12:01 AM
Why jewelers encourage white gold than platinum? Michael Jewelry 8 February 14th 04 07:42 PM
White gold plating NE333RO Jewelry 1 February 11th 04 07:26 AM
good vs bad white gold HurricaneMB Jewelry 2 January 1st 04 12:07 AM
What does "salty" diamond mean? And 11k white gold? AuroraeB Jewelry 1 September 13th 03 05:22 PM