home needed for a "Bill's Frame" frame

Old July 27th 05, 05:12 PM

Thank you so much for looking!
Tara's suggestion is something I never thought of- there might be a
wing nut big enough in a hardware store somewhere. I will SO hit myself
in the head if this solves my problem!!
My Bell Pull has been sitting there washed & pressed for more than 4
years- all I have left is the backstitch vines in the borders, and I
was going to replace the flower buds with beads (no confetti stitches
that way), otherwise I would have finished it in hand, then washed.
I've been working on little projects not requiring a scroll frame all
this time.
Thank you anyway for your help!
MM

Old July 27th 05, 05:21 PM

Why that double post happened I have no idea!
I apologize!
MM

Old July 27th 05, 09:05 PM
bdiane

I looked inside and yes indeed I am quite sure this would work!!! You
know this but do bring the metal screw with ya! barbie

Old July 27th 05, 10:59 PM

Arrggg!!
The largest metal wing nuts are too small, and a regular nut threads
are too fine for the wooden threaded shaft of the frame. A 3/4" nut
will fit, but it won't screw down the threads because they don't match.

Unless I can find a hardware store or source that carries obscure
sizes;
I bought my frame set over 20 years ago- it's all oak-
no metal parts at all.
Alas and Alack! sigh 8(
MM

Old July 28th 05, 12:03 PM
bdiane

Oh I see the problem. You are trying to find a metal wing nut to fit a
PLASTIC thread. Oh yes, impossible. I thought perhaps you had the
metal version. This does sound hopeless unless you find someone with
that knob.....

Old July 28th 05, 06:01 PM

Actually- my entire frame, stand and scroll frame, is made of oak- the
knob I need, originally, was of wood. What you are refering to as a
threaded metal rod, mine is a 5/8" or so diameter WOODEN threaded rod,
protruding about 3" long from the side bar of the scroll frame. You are
correct in that this is the part of the scroll frame assembly that
holds the frame to the vertical post of the floor stand, just mine is
wooden and threaded, not metal and threaded. I got my frame set in 1984
or '85 from the back of the CSCC magazine, maybe it was Bill's original
version, which later evolved into off-the-shelf metal parts. I know if
I could find a cabinet-maker/wood worker with an extensive shop, I
could probably have a new knob machined to fit, taking care to match
the threads on my scroll frame rod. I believe on my stand that the legs
knobs (again, wood to wood) are a smaller diameter, but I actually
never checked
I had a thought on the way to work- maybe a PVC nut (if there is such a
thing) from Home Depot or Lowe's would match the wooden threads, unlike
the metal threads.
Hey Fred- how about a manly opinion of this hardware stuff??!!
Anyway, thanks for all the ponderings on my behalf!
MM

Old December 16th 11, 05:03 AM
mameluk mameluk is offline
Banned

Location: Egypt

Hello everybody! I do not know where to begin but hope this www.craftbanter.com will be useful for me.
Old December 16th 11, 05:35 PM
Sleeltdyclody Sleeltdyclody is offline
Junior Member

imodium metabolic, buy imodium online, loperamide hydrochloride summary
Old December 20th 11, 02:50 AM
mameluk mameluk is offline
Banned

Location: Egypt

Well, that is my first check out to www.craftbanter.com ! We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a regional community in the exact same niche. Your phorum supplied us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous task!