Making progress!

Old January 24th 14, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug[_2_]

Default Making progress!

Because I didn't like any of the Hawaiian themed charts I could find, I decided to create my own birth sampler for the soon-to-be second great nephew. The Hawaiian alphabet only has 12 letters so I found a native Hawaiian animal starting with each of the letters. A couple of them were tricky, I had to sit with the Hawaiian-English dictionary on my lap and go through each entry, writing down the names of animals I thought I might be able to stitch. Then I had to check on line to see if it was endemic to Hawaii or had been brought over by humans. Some of them might be a challenge to stitch because, for instance, I'm having a hard time finding a line drawing -THAT I LIKE-that doesn't look too cartoony. The rest should be OK. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of drawings or clear photographs that I DID find just in one evening and morning. :-) If the picture's not great, like the Lau Wiliwili Nukunuku'oi'oi (a long nosed butterfly fish), I could find a detailed enough description to substitute a fish I can find already charted and adjust the colors to match. Same for the Pueo - a short eared owl.. Even if the picture doesn't match exactly, I can make sure it at least LOOKS like an owl and that the colors match on the face.

Now "all" I have to do is to decide which alphabet to use, and how I want to arrange it to fit "Killian Kaawaloa Nerney and the date in there somewhere. I guess I should probably start looking through my books to see which animals I can make from charts already published (and in my stash) and which one's I'll have to do myself.

Unfortunately for DH, not much else has gotten done since I came up with this idea. :-) We're sort of "taking a few days off" anyway this week. When I commented that, here I am finally home to get work done and I don't feel like doing any of it", he replied that by the time it warms up enough for him to go outside and get anything done, he's already talked himself out of it. Besides. It's WINDY outside. I was looking up onto the hill and heard a tree crackle and then fall up in the woods somewhere. I'm obviously safer indoors stitching or cooking dinner or maybe making a cake for dessert. We haven't had dessert for a while because, if we have it, WE EAT IT and neither of us needs the calories if we're not outside burning them off!
Liz from Humbug

Steels Mast Making & Sail Making sailmaking 1932 Alys General Crafting 0 June 7th 08 08:38 PM
Making some real progress julia sidebottom Quilting 5 August 17th 04 07:02 PM
making molds...progress report! Sjpolyclay Beads 10 July 17th 04 07:59 AM
Making progress with color Karen Yarn 3 October 10th 03 10:07 PM
woohoo...making progress!! CNYstitcher Quilting 0 July 30th 03 12:39 PM