Have you ever wanted to give away all your needlework gear?

Old January 2nd 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_3_]

Default Have you ever wanted to give away all your needlework gear?

"Kalmia" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 8:59 am, Donna wrote:
On Dec 13, 8:31 am, Karen C in Calif wrote:

Kalmia wrote:
I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?

When I've died.

--

Good reply, Karen!

As for my opinion on this: I divested myself of some things in the
1990s that I paid serious money to get back in the 2000s. Just
saying.

Donna in Virginia

I get ya. I had to find a crochet hook recently - delved into my 30
yo stash. After all, they don't take up to much space.

It depends on whether you`re a hoarder or not - I`m afraid I am. I have
boxes of stuff lurking that I don`t have a clue about - but to be honest, I
think a clear-out is imminent. My one good hand seems to have developed
arthritis (going to see the doctor next week) and I find it painful to hold
a needle or write or even hold my cutlery to eat! If I close my fingers up
too much they either lock or sort of click back into place!

Probably because the hand has done the work of two for the last 20 years, so
I can`t really complain about it! To sound like Polyanna, at least it has
encouraged me to get a robot vacuum cleaner, which is completely brilliant.
(named "Mary-Anne") She arrived this week after we`d bought "Daisy" a
couple of months ago. We were so pleased with Daisy we gave her to our
daughter and bought Mary-Anne! We thought they were just a gimmick/toy but
they certainly do a magnificent job and no pushing a heavy Dyson round! The
Dyson has been relegated to the garage.

Pat P

Old January 3rd 12, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

WE all have times we feel we can`t touch our work tools and
materials ,
Do not give away all of it , but use the time to reorganize all you
have.
i have at such times gone through my books and mags , and culled out
those i haven`t used nor needed for years, and put those in a box
aside to be given , exchanged with other fiberartists.
I am constantly sharing with others materials of all sorts, also get
materials tools from others.
i am trying to use up older materials in anyway possible ,,
mirjam
Old January 3rd 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 12/12/11 10:02 PM, in article
, "Kalmia"
wrote:

I am seriously thinking along those lines. My fingers are getting
sore, and I really have no desire to do any projects. My walls are
full and there is no one I want to make anything for.
Should I wait a year, or just tote all my floss, Persian wool,
crochet needles etc to the next local craft show and give it all away?

When do you know you've had enough?

A good question. DH & I were discussing this while driving around DC on New
Year's Eve EVE... We went to visit Tom (Jefferson Memorial) - where we were
married (not so doable anymore), surprisingly several groups of people
wandering thru - at 11 pm. And this de-stashing came up.

I think when you just feel uninspired and like doing a project is work,
gives you no joy it's definitely time for a break. Our infamously not fully
unpacked rec room which is a large open space - part media, the other part
my sewing/stitchin' had me doing the "what do I do with this stuff"
thinking. And for me, I decided that the reality of projects which I have
no desire to do - or place to put if I do them - said - start divesting.
So, I've started sorting things - some going to friends I know will enjoy
them, others into a pile for donations somewhere.

I haven't had the full "don't want to do anything" feeling - but I have had
the stitching hiatus - a few times in the last 20 years. In the past 10,
I've found myself knitting when taking time off. And then found after a
while, my fingers itching to pick up my stitching - so off again.

Maybe look at what you have, and think about it - what really will you not
be able to finish/do, and what may in a while intrigue you. I wouldn't dump
it all too quickly - but you might winnow it down. For the sore fingers -
maybe some therapy gloves, shorter times of stitching, hand massages. I've
starting being more likely to do alternative finishing rather than framing.
Sounds like you should at the least take a break and relax. Maybe look at
the situation in a month or two, and revisit.

Regardless - think of having a happy new year with which to enjoy life.

Ellice

Old January 3rd 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/2/12 12:08 PM, in article , "Pat P"
wrote:

Kalmia wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about this, Pat. Hopefully the doctor can help you with this
- my DF had terrible arthritis in his hands, and besides some meds which
helped a bit, honestly his favorite thing was a Paraffin Wax tub thing -
which you see used in nail salons. He'd put his hands in the wax, then sit
with the special warming gloves on for about 30 min - and felt much better
for an evening, and could use his hands.

Probably because the hand has done the work of two for the last 20 years, so
I can`t really complain about it! To sound like Polyanna, at least it has
encouraged me to get a robot vacuum cleaner, which is completely brilliant.
(named "Mary-Anne") She arrived this week after we`d bought "Daisy" a
couple of months ago. We were so pleased with Daisy we gave her to our
daughter and bought Mary-Anne! We thought they were just a gimmick/toy but
they certainly do a magnificent job and no pushing a heavy Dyson round! The
Dyson has been relegated to the garage.
Pat P

Love hearing about Mary-Anne. DH thinks we should get a Dyson canister, as
it's a PITA trying to do the stairs with the big Dyson. We were in a shop
looking recently, and I saw the Roomba again, telling him that once we've
got some things all to the base zero of clean, that we should give in and
get the robot vac for the downstairs. It is honestly too much for me to
keep up with - so glad to hear you've had good success.

Keeping some good thoughts for the doctor visit!

Ellice

Old January 3rd 12, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/2/2012 12:08 PM, Pat P wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 13, 8:59 am, wrote:
On Dec 13, 8:31 am, Karen C in wrote:

Kalmia wrote:
[...]

Just curious , Pat. Is that the one made by I-Robot? I think they call
it a Roomba over here. If so..thanks. I bought shares in the company
about three years back.

Gill
Old July 17th 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Answering my own post. I just finished my last needlepoint project - took almost two years, of which maybe 5 months was spent stitching. I re-read all your answers and think I will whittle down the stash and get it into a smaller container.

I recently had the pleasure of viewing the Bayeux tapestry....and a little voice said, "You can duplicate that horse or boat....". I was quite surprised to see that the gift shop there had NO needlework kits!! ( Relieved, kinda.) Just ff like cheesy mugs with a guy on a horse and the words "I saw the Bayeux tapestry" and an arrow pointing to the guy on the horse. What was THAT arrow for?

Old July 17th 14, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 7/16/2014 6:40 PM, wrote:
Answering my own post. I just finished my last needlepoint project -

Congrats on the finish!

I recently had the pleasure of viewing the Bayeux tapestry....and a
little voice said, "You can duplicate that horse or boat....".

I guess that means the stitching bug isn't quite gone, yet!

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old July 18th 14, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:48:43 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I recently had the pleasure of viewing the Bayeux tapestry....and a little voice said, "You can duplicate that horse or boat....".

Makes one feel a bit lacking doesn't it ? Nice to see it though.

It got me thinking about the logistics of executing such a grand thing. I wondered who organized the project, how many women stitched, how many hours it took, if there was one master plan on paper, where they worked etc. I got as close as I could, but could see no seams or joinings. The audio thingie could not be paused, so the explanation got way ahead of me. Another woman behind me and I, using our old high school Latin (un)knowledge, managed to translate what was happening. I later on bought the guide book, but inadvertently picked up one in Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Danish!! Out came the old Spanish grammar and dictionary, and I wrote in the translation as best I could.

Need help with making pro wrestling gear Seth Sewing 10 June 18th 09 02:54 AM
Baby gear Boca Jan Quilting 9 April 9th 07 04:36 AM
Sewing machine suugestions for outdoor gear [email protected] Quilting 6 May 6th 05 02:35 PM
FS:T-shirts and Gear James Wright Marketplace 0 March 6th 05 10:08 PM
Problem with bobbin gear Wave Jumper Sewing 1 June 1st 04 02:03 AM