I need Info

Old February 27th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
The Lurch

Default I need Info

I'd like to get into crafting and shaping stones (not diamonds, but semi

precious and such)

Where does one get the necessary equipment to cut, shape and polish stones

and rocks?

If this all works out, I'll send a few pictures of the stuff I've completed.

--

Edmond "The Lurch" Kida

Idiot's Lunchbox Productions

Old February 28th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:45:29 -0800, "The Lurch"
discovered a keyboard and, for our edification and amusement,
submitted

I'd like to get into crafting and shaping stones (not diamonds, but semi

precious and such)

Where does one get the necessary equipment to cut, shape and polish stones

and rocks?

If this all works out, I'll send a few pictures of the stuff I've completed.

Derpends on where you are. In most metropolitan areas, there are rock
and/or lapidaery clubs for dedicated hobbyists and newcomers to the
art. The members are usually quite willing to share their knowledge,
and most clubs have workshop areas where members can use the basic
machines involved in the art. Usually, the clubs offer lessons in
various procedures, and almost certainly will have basic classses in
rock cutting, lapidary, and faceting.
Check round in your area -- you'd be suirprised at what you might
find!
Jim
Old March 4th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

On Feb 27, 11:45 am, "The Lurch" wrote:
I'd like to get into crafting and shaping stones (not diamonds, but semi
precious and such)

Where does one get the necessary equipment to cut, shape and polish stones
and rocks?

If this all works out, I'll send a few pictures of the stuff I've completed.
--

Edmond "The Lurch" Kida

Idiot's Lunchbox Productions

Many people make their own equipment, and there is a lot of used
equipment around now. Companies like Lortone, Graves, Gryphon, Diamond
Pacific, Raytech make equipment. 1 or 2 of those may have been bought
out or eliminated some product lines. There are newer companies making
limited product lines. (Lot-O-Tumbler for instance).

Check Ebay, Craigslist and your local Gem&Mineral Club for used
equipment. check http://www.amfed.org/ for clubs and shows near you.
(if you are in the US)

There may be DIY instructions for equipment at ehow or
instructables.com .There are probably some interesting Youtube videos
for you as well.

good luck

Old March 10th 11, 09:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

You might want to look at my Gem site:

http://schmidling.com/gems.htm

To get an idea of what can be done along your lines of interest.

As a point of interest, there is a quantum leap between polishing rocks,
and cutting gems along with a large jump between making cabochons and
faceting stones.

The former requires only a rotating lap while the latter requires a
highly specialized machine. I did not wish to spend thousands of
dollars on such a machine so I built my own and had a great deal of fun
using it as can be seen from the page.

The machine worked so well that I gave it a name and came up with ways
to sell it for $500. It was a dismal flop and I sold only one and
withdrew it from the market but you can get an idea of what is involved
from the photos. http://schmidling.com/eg.htm

Good luck,

Jack

--

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,
Nature, Radio, Sheep, Sausage, Silver

http://schmidling.com

Old March 20th 11, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Booger

Everyone was getting along swimmingly in rec.crafts.jewelry on or
about Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:45:29 -0800 , when "The Lurch"
f'd everything up by saying:

I'd like to get into crafting and shaping stones (not diamonds, but semi

precious and such)

Where does one get the necessary equipment to cut, shape and polish stones

and rocks?

Check out Diamond Pacific, http://www.diamondpacific.com/

If this all works out, I'll send a few pictures of the stuff I've completed.

For your info Shillelagh Yarn 9 September 25th 08 05:19 PM
info please Valerie Jewelry 0 April 22nd 05 01:48 AM
info fabio Sewing 1 March 31st 05 07:55 PM
Just for your info Helen in MN Quilting 2 October 11th 04 11:49 PM
Thanks for the info SlinkyToy Yarn 1 September 28th 03 05:07 PM