Ziplock find

Old November 2nd 05, 09:52 PM
Pat in Virginia

Default Ziplock find

No kidding!! One reason I am so serious about losing weight soon
is because I miss wearing my black leather pants. I have some
suede pants too, but those leathers are my fav. (Yes, I realize
suede are also leather, but I am being lazy here.) I also love my
wool and leather 3/4 coat ... black of course. Got it in a
Floemarkt in Germany. It still looks good.

I wonder how a suede and leather throw would be ... made similar
to those 'rag quilts' and not lined. Hmmm ... that could be a way
to reuse really beat up stuff.
PAT

NightMist wrote:

Leather is so expensive that an attempt to save them would be so worth
it.

NightMist
owner of lots of second hand leather

Old November 2nd 05, 10:12 PM
Anne in CA

Pat,
Back in the early 70's a woman I know made a lovely patchwork throw from
fur coats she bought at the Goodwill store. She cut big (10"? 12"?)
squares, mixed them up, had the grain going different ways, and hand
stitched them together. No lining or backing. Verrrrry warm and cozy in
the Flagstaff winter.

Anne in CA
annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3

Old November 3rd 05, 02:55 PM
Bonnie Patterson

My MIL once found a mink cape in the Salvation Army thrift store for
$8.00, she used it a lap robe for the rest of her life.

Bonnie, In Middletown, VA

Old November 3rd 05, 04:40 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Bonnie Patterson wrote:

My MIL once found a mink cape in the Salvation Army thrift store for
$8.00, she used it a lap robe for the rest of her life.

Bonnie, In Middletown, VA

One of the ladies at guild used a mink coat from a thrift store to make
a teddy bear. When she passed it around at show and tell there was
doubt as to whether she'd get it back. It was so very soft!

marcella
Old November 3rd 05, 11:26 PM
Heather Michna

When I do my breast cancer walks, I pack everything in 2 gallon ziplock
bags. I label everything with what day I'll be using it, so that when the
time comes, I'm not digging around in a duffle bag, in a tent in the dark.
I've lived through rainstorms with dry clothes and dry shoes by packing this
way.

On a side note...my grammy used to store things in big sealable bags and she
always made a "sachet" of sorts with dry rice. She swore it helped absorb
any moisture that might accumulate in the bags.

"KJ" wrote in message
I got mine at Target. We packed DD suitcase with them. I've heard of such
messes after the inspectors pawed through them at the airport that we
packed her clothes in layers so they could lift them up and see whats in
them. Worked great!
KJ

Old November 4th 05, 12:31 AM
Donna in Idaho

I really wonder how everyone, especially quilters, lived without plastic
bags! I sure wouldn't want to have to go back to the time when we didn't
have plastic bags.

I use them a lot for packing, too.

We use them by the bazillions for quilt kits that we put together for quilt
shows, etc., where volunteers will be sewing quilt tops. Everything is all
cut and put in the bags. Then all we have to do is hand the person a bag
and they start sewing. No rootling around in fabric finding what they like
the best!

Donna
--
Donna in Idaho