Silver question.

Old November 7th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
George

Default Silver question.

Hi.
I have repair shop that I have established since 1982, and I have
encountered many difficulties.
but I need a technical answer about silver oxidation.
Recently I have received many silver items to polish, some of them with
Ecoat, antitarnish, Ecoat with antitarnish.
usually I deep them into potassium cyanide (commercial grade) and it does
the job to remove oxidation, like chains, rings, etc. but these items they
even resist to cyanide, I am doubting about anti tarnish that aged to a
point that itself changed the color, and prevent cyanide acid to do it's
job.
Need to hear your experience about this issue.
George.

Old November 7th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

George wrote:
Hi.
I have repair shop that I have established since 1982, and I have
encountered many difficulties.
but I need a technical answer about silver oxidation.
Recently I have received many silver items to polish, some of them with
Ecoat, antitarnish, Ecoat with antitarnish.
usually I deep them into potassium cyanide (commercial grade) and it does
the job to remove oxidation, like chains, rings, etc. but these items they
even resist to cyanide, I am doubting about anti tarnish that aged to a
point that itself changed the color, and prevent cyanide acid to do it's
job.
Need to hear your experience about this issue.
George.

If Ecoat? is some sort of lacquer based cover painted on, the youll need
to strip it off with say methelene chloride.

If however its say rhodium plating then a rhodium plating stripper will
be needed.
Dont know of one myself. yuoll have to look it up on google.
Old November 8th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
George

My understanding, Ecoat stands for electro coating of pure silver over 925,
but anti tarnish is a lacker based clear liquid .I am forced to belive that
anti tarnish itself changes color, so it needs to be removed prior
polishing.
I have never used methelene chloride.
it sounds like a kind of solvent.
My jeweler supplier never heard about it.
Have you used it? from where to get it?
by the way I hate to see manufacturers rhodium plates over silver.
it eliminates oxidation but whenever consumer returns an item to polish
because the surface used and rhodium gets darker it is a big headache. I
hate to polish these items.

Old November 9th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

"Ted Frater" wrote in message

George wrote:

[...]

So if its a pure ie 999 silver electroplate on 925 then any bright dip
will clean it up .
Im surprised your cyanide wont touch it.
Re Methelene chloride, Im in the UK and I get it from a chemical
wholesale house.
Its not something a jewellers supply house stock..
Now itsa VERY strong solvent of all paints inc 2 pack and abs plastic.
Its the basis of paint stippers. that are not based on sodium or
potassium hydroxide.
Old November 10th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mr G H Ireland[_2_]

In article , "George"
wrote:
even resist to cyanide, I am doubting about anti tarnish that aged to a
point that itself changed the color, and prevent cyanide acid to do

it's
job

Comment

The words "cyanide acid" appear to me to be nothing short of frightening!
Just see the words juxtaposed is enough to put me off my lunch!

Cyanide must never see any kind of acid. It is a chemically weak substance,
although a strong poison, and should NEVER be allowed anywhere near any
acid.

Even the carbon dioxide in the air will cause sodium, or potassium cyanide
partially to decompose,, liberating some deadly hydrocyanic acid, unless
solutions of these substances are kept alkaline.

G.H.Ireland

--
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services

Old November 10th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
George

"Ted Frater" wrote in message

George wrote:

[...]

.

Well if it is protected with lacker, probably it prevents it from cyanide as
well.
by the well I have to tell you, some of them has sensitive stones.
I use potassium, do you use potassium or sodium cyanide?
maybe mine it is old, on monday I'll get some fresh one for the sake of
science.
I'll post my experience.

Old November 11th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
silverstall[_2_]

Sounds to me that it is not tarnish (silver oxide) but simply a layer
of Lacquer that need to be removed. We have always relied on soaking
the item in a good ladies nail varnish remover followed by a 20 minute
soak in a heated acid bath containing pickling salts. Afterwards apply
to a polish motor in the usual way. The other substance we found
helps is soaking the item in Windolene (don' ask why). The problem is
the time it takes is equivalent to making the piece from scratch so
(unless the items have antiquity/personal value attached to it) is it
really worth it.