What am I doing wrong?

Old October 2nd 03, 04:04 PM
Lyndy swain

Default What am I doing wrong?

I need some help. I am trying to do the resist technique with a versamark
pad but am having very little success. I am using gloss card and stamping
with my versamark, i then heat set it and brushed my colour over the top
hoping the stamp wouldn't take the colour. I have been left with a messy
piece of card. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lyndy

Old October 2nd 03, 04:42 PM
Christi Conley

Are you trying to do resist with a powdered pigment?
I'm thinking that will just stick to the versamark ink....?

--
Christi
Stampin' Up! Representative

Old October 2nd 03, 04:49 PM
Lyndy swain

No I am using ink pads on the brush. I was hoping for the kind of effect
you get with wax and paint.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:38 PM
MargaretEckbold

A resist ink pad will give you that effect used on glossy with dye based ink.
Peggy
Old October 2nd 03, 07:07 PM
Alison

Two things come to my mind, Lindy. First is are you using dye ink over the
versamark (i.e., not pigment ink); and secondly, have you tried it with a
brayer instead of a brush? I can see how the brush might push the versamark
right out of the way of resisting. The first I know would cause you
problems, the second is just a guess, but I've never heard of doing this
technique with a brush.

Warmly,
Alison

Old October 2nd 03, 08:57 PM
Ddborger

If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've done this) - you don't
have to heat the versamark. Just go ahead and brayer over the top after you
stamp it. Hope this helps you out.

~Donna~
SAHM Val Gal 17, Wendy Woo 14, Seany 10
6 years of Stamping Bliss
Old October 3rd 03, 07:04 AM
Wave Jumper

I did this resist technique last week and it worked great. I used a Ranger
Clear Resist ink pad (I think the Versamark pad should work too) on the
rubber stamp image and stamped it on chrome coat (glossy) card stock . Then
I rolled a hard rubber brayer over a dye ink pad (Big and Juicy) several
times to get it real wet and them rolled it back and forth over the stamped
image on the chrome coat. I didn't heat set the stamped image at all.

Another look using watercolor paper. Cover the rubber stamp with clear
pigment ink and stamp it on the paper, then sprinkle clear embossing powder
over that and heat set. Using your watercolor inks make a wash to quickly
brush over the paper. Three complementary colors look nice and will give it
a rainbow effect. Hope this don't confuse you. Good luck. It's only paper
so play.
Just another stamper.

Old October 3rd 03, 12:15 PM
Lyndy swain

Thanks for all your help have managed it now and have written it down so
next time I go to do it I will remember...
Thanks again

Lyndy

Old October 3rd 03, 10:46 PM
welshwren

The brayer technique is good but you do need to keep brayering the piece for
longer than you think, until the design pops out at you; use a very firm
pressure.

I also apply my inks directly from the pad (colour box cat's eyes fluid
chalks are ideal for this - or if you try the technique on matt card, use
the cats eyes pigment ink) - darker colours tend to give a much better
effect, and they need to be applied quite heavily. Then comes the important
step (also applies to brayerd technique) ..... polish off any excess ink
when you have finished with a soft dry papper towel or tissue.

Another variation is to randomly overstamp the background with the original
stamp inked with one of the darker coloured inks.

Jenni