How Can You Tell An Antique from A Copy?

Old February 16th 14, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris

Default How Can You Tell An Antique from A Copy?

If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!
Old February 17th 14, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:01:20 -0800 (PST), Monica Ferris
wrote:

If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!

I suspect that a microscope would show the difference between
cottonized linen and real linen.

Most of the real linen now available is antique, because nobody
bothers to design machinery for spinning linen when it's so easy to
chop it into short bits and spin it on cotton machinery.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
Old February 17th 14, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C

Monica Ferris wrote:

If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!

Take it out of the frame. If it's the real deal, the floss colors on
the back will be brighter because the front would have faded from
exposure to light.

--

Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader/Translator www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 12/29/13 baby blankets for charity

WIP: Stitchers Days of Christmas
http://www.crossstitchjoy.com/catalo...oducts_id=3865
Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono (Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

www.CFSfacts.org -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

COPYRIGHT 2014 -- PERMISSION GIVEN TO POST ON
USENET AND GOOGLE GROUPS NEWSREADER ONLY,
BUT IF FOUND ON TWITTER OR SEWGIRLS/INSPIREPOINT,
IT HAS BEEN REPUBLISHED WITHOUT MY PERMISSION
WHICH CONSTITUTES ILLEGAL COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

Old February 17th 14, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa

Karen C wrote:

Monica Ferris wrote:

If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen
in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated
1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm
thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk
floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery
novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an
interesting incident. Thanks!

Take it out of the frame. If it's the real deal, the
floss colors on the back will be brighter because the
front would have faded from exposure to light.

I'd also look closely to see if the silk is dyed evenly
or not. Many of the early dying processes didn't "take"
evenly on the fibers.

IIRC green was a specific color that was difficult to
dye consistently.

Nyssa, who thinks some of her stash is going to make it
to antique status if she doesn't get back to stitching soon

Old February 17th 14, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Janice

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:01:20 PM UTC-6, Monica Ferris wrote:
If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!

Perhaps, someone at the Minnesota Historical Society could help you. There website is mnhs.org.
Old February 20th 14, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/16/2014 4:01 PM, Monica Ferris wrote:
If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen

I see others have been really helpful (and I can't). I'll just welcome
you back and encourage you to stay. This is the most posts we've had in
awhile!

Also, I'm still enjoying your books, MM, so keep'm coming!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old February 22nd 14, 06:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mirjam

On Monday, February 17, 2014 12:01:20 AM UTC+2, Monica Ferris wrote:
Hallo Monica ,,, nice to read you and nice that you are writing a new book ..
Museums that have an Antiquity department, or Museum textile restoration departments, might help you with such a problem .
Carbo dating is possible with textiles , but within 10 years up or down the exact date.

of course taking it out of the frame is needed as well ..
mirjam

Old April 13th 14, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Old April 13th 14, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:01:20 PM UTC-6, Monica Ferris wrote:
If someone brought to you a dirty, stained piece of linen in a broken frame and you saw it was a sampler dated 1882, how could you tell it was actually a copy? I'm thinking it was stitched on uneven-count linen with silk floss. This is to be a minor plot point in the mystery novel I'm writing. Maybe not even a plot point, just an interesting incident. Thanks!

This has nothing to do with the question you raised, but rather to an inaccuracy in Buttons and Bones.
Leech Lake is the third largest lake in Minnesota -- after Red Lake and Mille Lacs Lake see following:

Top 5 Biggest Lakes in Minnesota

By: Robert

1.Red Lake (upper, lower) - Beltrami County in the upper part of the state is the largest lake in Minnesota with 288,800 acres. Red Lake is the second largest lake in the United States that is entirely inside the U.S. borders.. Red lake is separated by two sections by a peninsula causing it to be known as Upper Red Lake and Lower Red Lake.

2.Mille Lacs Lake - Minnesota's second largest lake spans 132,516 acres or a little more than 200 miles. Beautiful lake that is barely deeper than 40'.. You can catch Walleye, Northern Pike, Muskie, Jumbo Perch, Small Mouth Bass and Tullibee is Minnesota's most famous fishing lake. The primary county that this lake is in is Mille Lac.

3.Leech Lake - Leech Lake is the heart of the Chippewa National Forest. You can find walleye, northern pike, bass, and muskie in the great lake. The Chippewa Forest as the highest concentration of bald eagles anywhere in the continental U.S.--almost 200 pairs. The town of Walker is located on the shores of Leech Lake. 111,527 acres makes Leech Lake Minnesota's third largest inland lake.