Printing my own fabrics.

Old June 7th 05, 08:54 PM
Wendys

Default Printing my own fabrics.

I saw a program on the telly the other week and the quilt lady used her own
fabrics to make her Kaelidascope quilts.
I thought I could do this as I love to dabble in Graphics.
I made my own "Fractal images" and imported them into Photoshop and then
used a small free plugin to Kaelidascope the images. Increased the
"contrast" and the " saturation " amounts then copied them to a new Image
with a 600 dpi (thats so when they are printed the colours come out better)
I used the Bubble Jet Set on a white quilters muslin and did what you are
meant to do then printed them out. I found from previous experience that
using the muslin makes for a floppier fabric in the end.Other fabrics that I
have printed on have come out too stiff.
WOW ! now all I have to do is work out what colours and styles to do the
sashings and I have my very " own " quilt. Designed and made by me, all me.
The images I came up with are here if anyone wants to see.
http://community.webshots.com/user/char304
One day in the near future I may get to sew for the day then I can start on
it.

Old June 7th 05, 09:14 PM
Mary in Washington

Wendy, That is amazing and inspiring. Can' wait to see the quilt.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa

Old June 7th 05, 10:29 PM

"Wendys" wrote in message
[...]

Wow! is right.
I am soooo impressed.
Have already copied the post into my 'quilt stuff' folder for instructions
if I ever get so ambitious.

Old June 7th 05, 10:04 PM
Patti

Fantastic - making your own fabric! Beautiful patterns.
How wonderful. My DH is a big fan of Mandelbrot. So, if I learned how
to do the printing, perhaps I could venture into this special world?
What a thought. Just wait till I have my current list whittled down a
bit ...!
..
In message , Wendys
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old June 8th 05, 12:40 AM
Betsy Ross

It sounded like the Fourth of July here while viewing a slide show of your
fabric designs: Ooooh, Ahhhhh.

Spectacular.

Good to know that you get softer fabric when you do it yourself. I just
bought the ink jet solution and some fabric to try out.

Now I want fractal software!

Susan
aka Betsy Ross

Old June 8th 05, 01:23 AM
pajaritaflora

Wendys wrote:
[...]

very cool!. I love fractal images. Did you make the fractal images in a
vector program? Like Illustrator or coreldraw? I would love to have a
link to the free plug in.

Mary Ann

Old June 8th 05, 02:17 AM
KJ

The free program (for 15 days I think) from www.Whizical.com is fun!
Actually there are two of them...Kaleider and Liquib make some great images
from your pictures.

"pajaritaflora" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 04:44 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I have a question about printing on fabric. Before I bought the Bubble Jet
rinse I bought some of that precut/pretreated fabric by June Taylor at
Hancocks. Terribly expensive for a few sheets. I was pleased with how well
it fed thru the printer and the outcome was really great - other than being
thick and stiff. I heat set it like the directions tell you to do but a
drop of water got on it while I was working with it and it created a blotch.
I'm really upset because I thought this would be as good as advertised. Has
anyone else had this kind of problem? Did I do something wrong. I'm
looking at a whole quilt of photographs and I sure don't want this to happen
again.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"