design transfer question

Old February 12th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default design transfer question

If I wanted to type up some text on the computer in a nice font and
then transfer the text to cotton in order to embroider it, kind of like
stamped cross stitch comes with the x's already printed on fabric,
....how would I do it?

Musicmaker

Old February 12th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Musicmaker" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I wanted to type up some text on the computer in a nice font and
then transfer the text to cotton in order to embroider it, kind of like
stamped cross stitch comes with the x's already printed on fabric,
...how would I do it?

I'd print it onto transfer paper, which you can then use to iron your design
on to the fabric. (Don't forget to reverse the image! Er, not that I've made
that mistake...)

http://softexpressions.com/software/...nsferMagic.php is an example.
NAYY - this was just the first hit in Google.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 12th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cindy-

I think you just told yourself how to do it! vbg I am partial to
Verdana- a simple nice font. Do some rows of X's with different sizes-
be sure to include the size at the end of rach row- and print it out.
When you have the size you like, then make up your pattern. Print it
out on paper to be sure you are happy with it. Then iron your fabric
to freezer paper- I cut the freezer paper to 9X11.5, then after ironing
on the fabric to the paper, trim it down to 8.5X11. Then run it thru
your printer. I do it quite often and the only troubles I've had is
with the freezer paper curling. I roll it in the opposite direction of
the curl and hold it for a few seconds and it will stay flat. You
might want to hand guide it thru the printer to be sure it gets started
feeding correctly and straight. Mine sometimes catches on the printer
as it comes out after printing, so you might want to keep an eye on
that end, too. I've heard you should iron the print to set it, but I
also know it's not washable- which may be good if you want to remove
the printing after you do your cross-stitching. Good luck and have
fun!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 12th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

There is this stuff called Bubble Jet Set that you soak the fabric in
before you iron it to freezer paper. The link gives directions. You
can also buy fabric sheets that are pre-treated. This is the same
technology used to put photographic images on fabric for quilts. NAYY

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/517692-AA.shtml

Shana

Old February 12th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I avoid using the iron transfer as it
transfers the entire film to the fabric
whether there is ink or not. Follow the
instructions here or on product
packaging to print directly to fabric.

Old February 13th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

another question - if you iron freezer paper to fabric and then run it
through the printer, won't the print be on the paper and not the
fabric? probably a dumb question, but consider the sourse!

Musicmaker

Old February 13th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Musicmaker wrote:
another question - if you iron freezer paper to fabric and then run it
through the printer, won't the print be on the paper and not the
fabric? probably a dumb question, but consider the sourse!

You do have to be careful how you put the paper-backed fabric in the
printer. Notice how the paper feeds into the printer and which side is
printed on. Put the paper-backed fabric in the printer so that the
printing will go on the fabric side.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 13th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cindy-

Good question! I've done it backwards many, many times! LOL When I
make my test sheet on plain paper, I mark an X in pencil at the top
edge of the paper as it shows in the tray before printing. Then I can
determine which side I need to have up when I run the fabric backed
freezer paper thru the printer... if the test page prints on the side
with the pencil mark, then my fabric side needs to be up.... or not.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 14th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I get it - the paper is for stabilizing the fabric. duh!

Musicmaker

Old February 17th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I think that would depend on how you put it through the printer. My printer
prints on the side that is facing you when you load it. So if I wanted the
print on the fabric, I would put it so the fabric is facing me with the
paper on the back. There may be some that are opposite. You would want to
run a test piece first to see which side of the paper is being printed.