Cord for lampwork beads

Old January 5th 05, 03:57 AM
Christina Peterson

Default Cord for lampwork beads

I have some focals I'd like to feature simply on a cord. With a little
silver and maybe a couple accents.

What is a good cord to use?

For myself I'd probably just want to put it on a soft leather or suede cord,
and just knot it in the back. Even make it up as the mood strikes me. Some
of the more nicely finished leather cords crack with use. I've also seen
nicely finished rubber cord. Satin cord snags too easily, and I worry about
the scratchiness of ribbon.

And then there's color.

I think of leather in blacks and browns. Lighter colors of leather get
darkened by oil, and even a little dirt -- especially suede. Red still
seems like leather, or else a cut. What do you all think of purple leather
or turquoise or green? Does it feel like a wrong color for leather?

As I said, I've seen very nicely finished rubber cords. And it seems to
come in a lot of colors. But while the black rubber sounds "nice", the
colors seem kind of "plastic".

I love to hear thoughts on this.

Tina

Old January 5th 05, 06:52 AM
Carla

I've been using that, too, lately. It hangs better, IMO, than leather
cord, and looks good with a single focal and one or two accents.

Cheers,
Carla

Lara wrote:
I like to use a braided cotton cord. I don't know the name, but it comes in
brown and black and in the middle is monofiliment. I like to pull this out
so that I can get a better knot and so that it drapes better. It holds up
very well to lampwork beads.

Lara

Check out my eBay auctions under user ID: lutrick
Or click on the link: http://snipurl.com/8fa3

Old January 5th 05, 08:03 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Black Neoprene doesn't have the plastic look, it's matte. Double satin
ribbon shouldn't scratch. I don't think coloured leathers are wrong. Any and
all of your ideas sound fine, just different from each other. I'd add one
more suggestion: velvet ribbon.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
www.galleryvittoria.com

Old January 5th 05, 09:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

I've been using 1-2mm black pleather cord. It doesn't crack, is finished
nicely, and drapes really well. Beads made with 1/16" mandrels fit really
well on the 1mm cord. The larger holed beads fit well on the 2mm cord.
I got my pleather cord on ebay - from javabead, I think, or beadaholique.
Both are great sellers.
You can get the cord end crimps from beadaholique - sterling silver works
best.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 5th 05, 01:54 PM
Peggy

I have one of Kandice's bracelets that she made with pleather. I've worn it
a lot, and I'm hard on bracelets because of all the work I do
restoring/repairing our house. The pleather gets wet all the time, and has
had a couple of pretty good tugs, too. So far, it's held up great and still
looks really nice.

And, Tina, I agree about the "plastic" look of some of the colored cords. I
have a small length of blue buna cord. I don't like it at all for exactly
that reason, though I've heard others rave about it. I'm going to try
designing a bracelet where the beads are fixed with tiny bits of the blue
buna showing in between--I think that might look good. But I sure wouldn't
use buna for a single focal with a couple of other beads. It's very
"plastic," as you say.

Old January 5th 05, 02:31 PM
Kathy N-V

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:57:05 -0500, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message ):

As I said, I've seen very nicely finished rubber cords. And it seems to
come in a lot of colors. But while the black rubber sounds "nice", the
colors seem kind of "plastic".

Once again, Barbara F-L came to the rescue with a tiny group buy of
neoprene cords. I bought black cords in a very small diameter (2
mm), and some eggplant cords in 4 mm. The dark colors are very nice,
not at all cheap looking, and didn't have that "plastic" feeling that
I think you mean. I really love them, and have been playing with the
cords, trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with them.

The cords were pretty inexpensive, a couple of dollars apiece, and
are finished with sterling silver ends. Barbara, could you help me
remember wher eyou bought the cords? I thought it might be
Thunderbird Supply, but I'm not 100% sure.

Another "cord" I've been using is 1 mm sterling silver snake chain.
I've been buying them 10 or 20 at a time on Ebay, and they're as
cheap as the rubber cords. I put one lampwork bead on a chain as a
present, and it looks wonderful. Takes all of three seconds to do,
too. :-)

Kathy N-V

Old January 5th 05, 02:35 PM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, yes, I've been using the 1mm sterling silver snake chain, too - it's
wonderful. Classy and not too expensive if you find the right sellers. I
got mine for about $3 each for the 16" lengths a few months ago. Drapes
wonderfully - like liquid!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 5th 05, 05:12 PM
maryluna

Christina Peterson wrote:
What do you all think of purple leather
or turquoise or green? Does it feel like a wrong color for leather?

I've used turquoise goat thong for several years (thank to a big ball
of it I bought) and it's held up *very* well, knots and all. I've tied
little Bali beads on either side of an accent lampwork or silver
pendant, and it's easy to finish it nicely with wrapped sterling wire
and clasp. It does darken a bit, but it's still turquoise. Not as
exotic perhaps as silk, etc. but very durable.

Mary T. 8-)

Aunt Molly's Bead Street
http://www.flash.net/~mjtafoya
eBay: seriousbeader

Old January 5th 05, 08:07 PM
ally

I like leather or leatherlike stuff personally, though I will never knot
again after I lost one of my Tink beads when a necklace came undone and
got lost in my cleavage!

At the moment I am trying out the neoprene stuff which I bought a roll
of, but I dont really like that either. I dont think it looks as nice
as leather and undoes even more easily, I nearly lost another necklace
the other day.

So I now have an order in for some more of the cord crimp ends whcih are
perfect and look nicer than a knot too. I am also more grateful I have
a large chest - put there especially to catch badly knotted necklacesG
:-)
--
ally
website: www.alcom.demon.co.uk
Old January 5th 05, 10:51 PM
Christina Peterson

I don't recall coming across it. Does it have a specific name, or can you
suggest a source?

Tina