Strange problem (part rant, part humor)

Old November 2nd 03, 03:39 PM
georg

Default Strange problem (part rant, part humor)

Hello everyone!

My husband has gotten out his crochet hook again (hooray!). Since I knit
occassionally, he's raided my stash for yarn. He found my Red Heart
black fleck and natural fleck, and started to crochet a scarf. He ran
out of black fleck, and that's when I had to do a search for the yarn,
only to find they aren't making it any more. He's decided to continue
his scarf with plain black.

Why did I have to search for it? Because my husband refuses to shop. He
hates going to the store for anything. If he could have me buy his suits
and shoes without him there, he would. I am comfortable with this stash
raid on my yarn, but I don't have a large stash, and what I do have is
roughly 10 years old or much more. How do I convince him that he needs
to tell me specifically what he wants me to buy for him, or that he
needs to go ahead and order it online, or come with me to a yarn store?

I can be mean and deliberately pick out horrible colors- he's blue-green
colorblind and wouldn't notice. But if he would like to use more than
just the horrible cheap acrylic that is Red Heart, he really should
fondle the goods first. A huge part of knitting for me is the tactile
feel of the yarn in my fingers. This experience is enhanced by really
nice feeling yarn. I'm not sure how I can convince him to expand his
horizons. Sure, I can use the excuse to go out and expand my stash with
really cool yarn, but we are on a budget, and there's no guarantee he'd
want to touch the cool stuff anyway.

Any ideas?

I don't crochet, if that matters. It's one of the few things I don't do!
lol.

-georg

Old November 2nd 03, 03:47 PM
Katherine Burgess

I would just accept that he is that way, and help him choose colours. I
would also make sure that he was exposed to "good" yarn by having some on
hand for him to use. Anything to encourage him!
HTH
Katherine

.. .

Old November 2nd 03, 03:53 PM
Janise Ross

But, on the other hand, if your husband depletes your stash, you'll have to
get more yarn...so, this might be a blessing in disguise. ;-)

And, welcome to the group, Georg.

Janise

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
wrote..
[...]

Welcome, -georg!
I agree, shopping for yarn is FUN, and FEELING it is part of the
'rush' (for lack of a better word)
Yes, you COULD be 'mean' and get him crappy yarn (I would, but I
have a mean-streak, LOL)...
I'd suggest NOT letting him into your stash, plain and simple.
MY DH doesn't like shopping either, except at
Menards/Lowes/HomeDepot, etc.... so I can empathize there.
Thing is, crocheting uses a LOT more yarn than knitting, so his
raiding will really deplete your stash... and quickly, too, I
might add.
I'd put a mouse-trap in my stash.
Sorry I'm no help.
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.

Old November 2nd 03, 04:34 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi georg,

Welcome georg to our great group. Just be thankful that your DH has the love
for a craft as you do, maybe you can buy some really good yarn and let him try
it.

Nora
Old November 2nd 03, 05:01 PM
Sonya Cirillo

I'm surprised Noreen didn't suggest this - see if you can get
your husband interested in spinning - then he can spin yarn for you
to knit with!

A thought - if you can get him to 'mention' what articles he might be
interested in working on in the near future - then you can be on the
look out for yarn that would suit (and/or have an appropriate amount of
yarn available). . . plus hitting yard sales and 2nd hand stores looking
for cheaper (but not necessarily 'cheap' yarn - you can sometimes find
really expensive yarn for pennies!) additions to your stash.

Just had another thought - check out nearby stores (or on the net) for
clearance yarn - many times you can find some real bargains this way too!

Good luck

Sonya

Old November 2nd 03, 05:11 PM
Carol in TN

I would pick colors and amounts to make items for me! Since you have to do
all the shopping, it seems only fair that you get something out of it.
Carol in TN

"Katherine Burgess" wrote in message
I would just accept that he is that way, and help him choose colours. I
would also make sure that he was exposed to "good" yarn by having some on
hand for him to use. Anything to encourage him!
HTH
Katherine

.. .

Old November 2nd 03, 09:26 PM
Agres

Everything in your stash should be stuff that you like! If you do not like
the yarn, get rid of it. Sell it, donate it, or give it away (not to
somebody that might knit it and then give it back : )

Then, when your husband goes to the stash, you know that anything he selects
will be nice stuff.

Most of us like shopping for yarn. I'm sure that folks in the group would
be willing to help you shop for nice yarn. If you shop real hard, you can
get very nice yarn inexpensively. I am repeatedly amazed at the huge
fluctuations in yarn prices. For example, Lion Brand "Wool Ease" is usually
ridiculously overpriced at the local hobby shop. But the other day I walked
in and they had a clearance bin of Wool Ease at an absurdly low price. So
be like the lion; wait and pounce.

Aaron

.. .

Old November 2nd 03, 11:09 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Envelope packed and ready to go ,, but there is a strike coming up
,,,, so please note it is somewhere on it`s way to you , may be i will
ask them if there is an alternative system ????
mirjam