Pronunciation question

Old October 31st 03, 12:46 AM
Janise Ross

I'm in the first group..."crow-SHAY"

Janise

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
CROCHET.
Now, I've always said and heard it as:

crow-SHAY. (and the crow part is more of a creh than crow) (didn't we

call
that the schwaa sound in phonics?)

Here in TN, they say:

CROW-shay.

Which way do YOU say it?
Hugs,
Noreen

ever the one to come up with discussions, grin!

---

Old October 31st 03, 01:23 AM
Sue Carlson Dunn

Well, over on this side of the pond it's CROW-shay for us commoners,
while the upper class tend more towards CRAIR-shay. I call it crash-
s**t when it all gets too tangled ;-))

--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Old October 31st 03, 01:28 AM
SlinkyToy

Back home in Illinois its "cro-SHAY", here in Texas I hear it both
ways and it is usually age-dependent - older folks call it CROWshay,
younger ones (like me, decrepit tho I am getting) call it croSHAY.

However, I have a nephew who is 6'4" and quite adorable who CROWshays
thread doilies. His g'gma taught him, and she CROWshayed, donchaknow.

Old October 31st 03, 02:21 AM
spampot

Sue Carlson Dunn wrote:
Well, over on this side of the pond it's CROW-shay for us commoners,
while the upper class tend more towards CRAIR-shay. I call it crash-
s**t when it all gets too tangled ;-))

--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com
Sue's Project Pages www.howhill.com/projects
Please take off your shoes to email me!

Air, yays, hell-air theah, Sue...
Hope all is going well w/your sis.

Old October 31st 03, 02:25 AM
AlenasMom

craww-chet...

just kidding... I say cro-SHAY too.

Old October 31st 03, 02:58 AM
Katherine Burgess

Crow-SHAY is how I say it, too, Noreen, and so does my mother. (She is from
Australia)
Katherine
"Noreen's Knit*che"