TIDBITS 03/06/05

Old March 6th 05, 02:01 PM
Benjamin Mark

Default TIDBITS 03/06/05

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution. Additionally, if you know of anyone who you think
would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us. URL
(http://www.tyler-adam.com). We encourage you to forward
this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

The Safety Pin

In keeping with the customary logic within which humans
unerringly operate ... approximately one thousand
years B.C.--long before the diaper was ever even
conceived of as an idea (this is opinion only and
should not be considered fact)--man invented the
Safety Pin. There is no question in my mind that
the inventor knew that one day this little device
would be useful in holding a shmatte (Yiddish for Rag)
in place around a baby's loins.

The pin as we know it today with its U-shaped form
made its presence known in Central Europe about
3000 years ago.

Around the 6th century B.C. women of Greece and
Rome began fastening their robes at the shoulder
with a Fibula--a pin with the middle coiled to
produce tension ... the forerunner ladies and
gennulmen ... to the modern and streamlined
safety pin. I'll tell you this: When man sets his mind to creating a
simple and effective device which will be used the world over ...
which is dispensable ... which is cheap ... and which will
sell by the gadzillions making its manufacturer wealthy
beyond all dreams ... there ain't no stopping him.

You are now surely asking yourselves just how important
a role did the safety pin actually have on the populace.
And more importantly--also surely on your minds--did
royalty have any uses for this device? I know you are all
wondering about this because it would defy all the rules
of logic to even think this question would slip your minds.
And so I will tell you ... and then I will show you a
bejeweled Safety Pin created by one who surely
knew the insane attraction this would evoke in the
hearts of the moneyed privileged.

A palace inventory--in a distant past--once showed
that twelve thousand pins had been delivered for the wardrobe
of a French Princess. It is no wonder then that these pins were in
short supply. Royalty was corning the market. Scarcity was
driving up prices. Serfs were being taxed in order to provide
Feudal Lords with enough shekels to buy more pins.

In Britain a law was passed--don't know the year--to allow
the marketing of these pins on only certain days of the year.
And here's a revelation for you, dear reader. Upon the arrival
of the specified day ... rich and poor alike came flocking to
the market-place with their carefully saved "pin-money" in
order to make their purchases ... bringing home that evening
their treasures.

Of course ... mass production eventually bared its ravenous
teeth ... and the price of pins plummeted ... reducing the
the value of "pin-money" to mere "pocket-money" ... a term
used to denote the fact that the owner of such funds had
barely enough to buy pins ... and little else.

And then--one fine day--a jeweler came along. A visionary if you
will. A giant amongst men who knew that a safety pin was more than
a diaper holding doo-dad used to safely contain spoils most would
rather not see. This safety pin would be a brooch by gosh by golly ...
made of gold ... and Lapis Lazuli ... and nothing else. Simplicity
would elevate the pin to unimaginable heights.

I have an image of it folks. A golden safety pin brooch with Lapis
Lazuli. Worth ... around $5000.00. And with the image comes a
question. Where does it belong? On a blouse ... or adjacent to a
baby's butt? I, of course, have my opinion. Let us see if we agree. I
need to know what you think.

For those of you who are new to this thing called
Tidbits...may I direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where
you will scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area that
says Tidbits Graphics ... and then click on the link that says: Safety
Pin ... in order to view a Lapis Lazuli brooch which will surely
stagger the feeble of heart.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our
home page. All rights reserved.
Old March 8th 05, 10:20 AM

Interesting stuff

http://www.surfjunky.com/?r=azhardballz

TIDBITS 03/06/05 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 March 6th 05 02:01 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 October 24th 04 09:29 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Marketplace 0 October 24th 04 09:28 PM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 July 13th 03 11:01 PM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 July 13th 03 11:00 PM