OT Butter tarts

Old July 24th 03, 08:03 PM
SunFire

Default OT Butter tarts

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in
:

Butter tarts are much more controversial than matrimonial squares,
where the difference tends to be neat vs. more roughhewn. This arguemt
is good for several rounds at any church supper There is the runny/not
runny question. Neat people vs. hedonists. You cannot, I concede,
serve runny buttertarts when the bishop is visiting--all that syrup on
the purple shirt and eveything. But otherwise I agree with John Cleese
in the Cheese Shop sketch--"I don't care how f***ing runny it is....",
bring it on. Not to mention raisins or currents, with or without nuts.
And how full to fill the shells. And some people don't see the
point of the vinegar... But they are good anyway. Several of my books
say these are distinctively Canadian. So if you don't feel like going
to Tim's.....

This is the filling:
3/4c packed brown sugar 1/4c corn syrup (the anti-runny faction tends
not to use syrup) (some people use maple syrup instead of corn
syrup--extra Canadian, and extra runny) 1 egg 2 tbsp. butter at room
temperature 1 tsp vanilla 1 tsp vinegar pinch of salt 1/4 cup
raisins (to be absolutely purist. Or currants. Or walnuts. Or even
pecans, although that is straying a long way from the straight path.
Or mix and match) Whisk together eveything but the raisins. Stir them
in. Spoon the filling into tart shells. This is enough for about 1
1/2 dozen 2 1/4" shells. The standard is about 2/3 full for whatever
size shell you are using, although 3/4 is good too, it just gives a
different ooze to fruit ratio.

Bake these at 450F for 10-12 minutes until the filling is puffing up
and bubbly and the pastry is the shade of gold you like best.

It is toooo hot here (34F) to bake these. Damn.
Dawne

Thanks Dawne, I've printed this one out to try later!!!!

Linda
Old July 24th 03, 08:06 PM
Stitch Lady

Thanks a bunch, Dawne. But really, hedonism in the kitchen. Is that
something that has to be done when make runny butter tarts?? Does it make it
taste better that way?? ;-))

Stitch Lady

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in
:
[...]

---
This email has been certified to be free from viruses.

Old July 24th 03, 08:34 PM
Fred

Dawne,

Here is a small correction for you. Do not mix raisons with the filling!!

What you want to do is place a minimum of 5 raisons in each tart shell - one
pointy end of each raison facing inward to form a star. Then "gently" fill
tart shell with the filling. I positive all the females who bake know this
is the "proper" way to put raisons in a tart shell so I'm thinking this
omission must have been by a simple oversight on your part.

The reason for the careful insertion of the raisons is so that when you
remove the tart tray from the oven and set it to cool you can repeat the
often uttered - *NEAT-OH*!!

On a scale of 1 to 10, when my DW makes butter tarts or shortbread cookies,
they are a 10++ and she didn't even have to attend my baking class for more
than 2 minutes.

It is supposed to cool off here tomorrow - I think I will put in my order
for a couple of dozen of each, neat-oh or not. LOL.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - Pending

Old July 25th 03, 06:15 AM
Elizabeth Bonello

Butter tarts, eh? We use pecans and call it "Pecan Pie" down here in the
state of Misery!

LittleBit

OT ~ Shea butter revisited Mj Beads 2 December 14th 04 07:43 PM
Adding butters kidnapper General Crafting 4 September 25th 04 08:14 PM
Recipe for Cocoa Butter Soap/ New venue to sell soaps Mary Byerly Marketplace 0 July 8th 04 01:08 AM
Recipe for Cocoa Butter Soap/ New venue to sell soaps Mary Byerly General Crafting 0 July 8th 04 01:03 AM
Shea Butter Lanolin Hand Cream Recipe mypet General Crafting 0 November 15th 03 05:55 PM