Sewing frame query

Old October 6th 12, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

Default Sewing frame query

Maureen has a sewing frame - similar to the one in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRcQQ3ZW4g
What is the purpose of the second set of holes?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old October 6th 12, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley

On 06/10/2012 17:51, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
Maureen has a sewing frame - similar to the one in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRcQQ3ZW4g
What is the purpose of the second set of holes?

I rather think they are there to stop the rods splitting when tightening
the wing nuts.
When my DH made a clear plastic extension for my sewing machine for
quilting, he drilled holes in the corners of it about 1/2 inch in where
it sat against the sewing machine free arm. He said that if it split it
would only split to the hole and not spread across the whole thing.
There is a picture of the extension on my website under "Other crafts"
Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old October 6th 12, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

On 06/10/2012 19:21, Shirley wrote:
On 06/10/2012 17:51, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
Maureen has a sewing frame - similar to the one in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRcQQ3ZW4g
What is the purpose of the second set of holes?

I rather think they are there to stop the rods splitting when tightening
the wing nuts.
When my DH made a clear plastic extension for my sewing machine for
quilting, he drilled holes in the corners of it about 1/2 inch in where
it sat against the sewing machine free arm. He said that if it split it
would only split to the hole and not spread across the whole thing.
There is a picture of the extension on my website under "Other crafts"
Shirley

Thanks for that, Shirley. It makes sense now.
Bruce
Old October 7th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley

On 06/10/2012 19:39, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
On 06/10/2012 19:21, Shirley wrote:
On 06/10/2012 17:51, Bruce Fletcher wrote:
Maureen has a sewing frame - similar to the one in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRcQQ3ZW4g
What is the purpose of the second set of holes?

I rather think they are there to stop the rods splitting when tightening
the wing nuts.
When my DH made a clear plastic extension for my sewing machine for
quilting, he drilled holes in the corners of it about 1/2 inch in where
it sat against the sewing machine free arm. He said that if it split it
would only split to the hole and not spread across the whole thing.
There is a picture of the extension on my website under "Other crafts"
Shirley

Thanks for that, Shirley. It makes sense now.
Bruce

Just shown mine to DH and he said as well as to stop it splitting it
also acts as a spring. Without it you would not be able to tighten the
dowels up to keep the fabric taut.
Shirley

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old October 10th 12, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep

On 10/7/2012 12:06 PM, Shirley wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is the reason (the main reason, anyway) It give the 'clamp'
function of the side bars more flexibility to open wider to accept the
rods, or to clamp down on them harder when the wing nuts are tightened.

However, since the fabric is only clamped to the rods in the same way
that they are in a Q-snap, How tight or loose the rods are clamped into
the side bars is almost irrelevant, unless you have a long piece and
camp the *ends* of it to the rods and wrap it over/around the PVC claps
as you go along, how tight the side bars are clamped to the rod would
have more affect.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY