Off Topic getting Patterns in braille!!

Old July 29th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
angel_crafter

Default Off Topic getting Patterns in braille!!

Thanks my friend...
Portia/California
ILovemyDoggie. wrote:
angel_crafter wrote:
Hi again..
I have a question.. Does anyone in here knit that is blind or is
vissually impaired?? I recall that someone told me when I joined, that
there is someone that is blind.. Well, I am trying to find a place that
will do my patterns in braille. I sent some paterns to the Braille
Institute.. They did not get my email and I have to try again to send
it tomorrow.. I had hoped that someone was to be done and I could get a
quote as the cost of my patterns I found on the net that are easy for
me to try out..
Anyway, If anyone has any ideas as to where I can go and getting them
brailled, I will gladdly appraiciate any help you can give me..
I find lots of things on several sites, but a lot of them have to be
written out since there are so many steps for them..
I have a couple of tank patterns I wan to try out and make for myself
to wear for the well rest o the summer.. But, who knows how long it
will be before that happens..
Plus so other things I found that look easy to start before I am ready
for the more advanced technique in knitting..
Thanks so much..
Portia/California

Ask this group he http://community.livejournal.com/braille_talk/
They will glady help you.
Pam-Doggirl3

Old July 29th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
angel_crafter

Thanks for asking aobut the square David.. But, right now I will wait
for a bit.. Before I am ready.. I will let you know when I am ready for
one so I can try my hand out on doing one..
Portia/California

Old July 29th 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
angel_crafter

That must have took some time for you learn to do that??
Portia/California
Karen C - California wrote:
angel_crafter wrote:
Fist of all, what is tating?

In a single word, lace.

Typically, you work with your thread wound on a shuttle, and tie knots
in the end of the thread that's wrapped around your hand. There's only
one stitch to learn, but there's a tricky maneuver required to do it
right, and that's the part I couldn't get from the pictures in a book.

--
Karen C - California

Finished 7/4/06 - needlepoint calendar canvas for August
WIP: Getting all the UFOs done, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!, Farmers Market (TIAG#8)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html

Old July 29th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
angel_crafter

Very sorry for doing that by classifying this topic as Off topic.. I
didn't know how to title it.. And, I wasn't sure if there was someone
that was blind in here as well.. My mistake...

Old July 29th 06, 08:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magie Noire

Hi Portia, don't need to apologise. You didn't commit a crime!
Peace to you!
Sofia D

news: ...

Old July 29th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

angel_crafter wrote:

That must have took some time for you learn to do that??
Portia/California

As mentioned in another post, there's only one very simple stitch to
learn, so that part went pretty quickly. Took a few years before I
found someone to tell me what I was doing wrong. If I'd had a live
teacher, instead of books, I could have learned everything in an hour.

Old July 30th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Does not matter if we are blind. There is a long an full tradition of
knitting in the dark. Long ago in bed to stay warm and save candles, more
recently in movie theaters. I knit while my wife watches DVDs.

Suppose we read a bunch of patterns aloud and recorded them in MP3 format,
so they could be stepped through as you work. Would a library of patterns
that had been read aloud be useful?

Aaron
oups.com...

Old August 7th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Katherine

That's what I do, too, David.

Higs,
Katherine

David R. Sky wrote:
I use a single chain stitch between dc3 clusters on straight edges,
and 3 chains on the corners. I've heard other variations from others
in this group (rcty). David

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Karen C - California wrote:

Which brings us back to your problem with crocheting ... the same
one a lot of us had when we were starting out and finally got it
right after a lot of practice. You're getting a decreasing triangle
because you're forgetting to put a stitch into your turning chain of
the row before. You can figure out where you're going wrong by
making a very narrow practice piece with a number of stitches you
can easily count (five or six is good). On each row, count the
stitches you're making, and you'll quickly figure out which stitches
should get a stitch in them to keep the stitch count the same from
row to row. As for granny squares, just keep telling yourself that a
sighted
person can do them with the lights out, and your fingers see better
than mine do, so you can do it, too.

Posting ON Topic threads Tia Mary Quilting 0 October 22nd 05 08:44 PM
New electronic Hawaiian Quilt Patterns Elizabeth Quilting 1 October 21st 05 04:14 PM
List of Free Patterns Lucille Yarn 4 August 22nd 05 12:41 PM
Cross Stich Patterns for Sale... only $1 a piece. Andrew J Rumpel Marketplace 0 March 24th 04 09:05 PM
XS patterns for swap or sale Ruthie Marketplace 2 February 19th 04 10:49 PM