Too funny!

Old August 1st 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Tracey

Default Too funny!

Shillelagh wrote:

But, I do like the idea of Christmas shopping in my shorts and flip-flops.
(grin)

Shelagh

It's da bomb, sistah girl!

Tracey

Old August 1st 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
wrote:
No!!!! That is almost the right shape for a back country hat!

You just never tried putting a *cold* nylon parka hood on a bald head! The
long back protects the neck and keeps warm air from escaping out of your
parka.

The hot color helps keep you warm, or at least helps you find it in the
cold, gray dawn.

The only thing is that they need strings to tie under the chin so they do
not fall off when you are skiing. And, it needs a little bill across the
brow. I'm still working on how to knit a good bill. The bill needs to be
soft enough to roll up and put in your pocket, but stiff enough to keep the
snow out of your eyes.

The Renaissance hat brims were double layered and thickly fulled, almost
but not quite felted. They were usually knitted in place, but they could
be made separately and sewn on. Often they were two separate "bills",
which overlapped at the ends.

=Tamar
Old August 1st 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mystified One

You haven't seen roaches until you've lived in Texas! Mine rearrange the
furniture at night!

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

: I could go for that since I live in Manitoba and summer is around 2 months
: long. ;( However, I saw some pretty huge cockroaches while vacationing on
: Maui a few years ago. I guess it doesn't matter where you live, there is
: always something to contend with.

Old August 1st 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 03:58:35 GMT, Mystified One spun a fine yarn

You haven't seen roaches until you've lived in Texas! Mine rearrange the
furniture at night!

OMGosh, YES, I remember that about Texas, and even the HOSPITALS have
them!
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0631-0, 07/31/2006
Tested: 7/31/2006 11:08:56 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old August 1st 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mystified One" wrote in message
You haven't seen roaches until you've lived in Texas! Mine rearrange the
furniture at night!

OMG, pardon me while I gag......... the ones on Maui made my skin crawl.

Shelagh

Old August 1st 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Yes! Yes! Now if you have a pattern for such hats?

I made some prototypes. My lack of know-how resulted in catastrophic hat
failure. I think those guys that made Renaissance hat brims had some
practice. Those old guys were knew their materials!

Improvements for next prototype include: 1) to knit more tightly; &, 2) to
knit two layers and cheat by machine stitching them together. : )

Aaron

Old August 1st 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
wrote:

The Renaissance hat brims were double layered and thickly fulled, almost
but not quite felted. They were usually knitted in place, but they could
be made separately and sewn on. Often they were two separate "bills",
which overlapped at the ends.

Yes! Yes! Now if you have a pattern for such hats?

I made some prototypes. My lack of know-how resulted in catastrophic hat
failure. I think those guys that made Renaissance hat brims had some
practice. Those old guys were knew their materials!

Improvements for next prototype include: 1) to knit more tightly; &, 2) to
knit two layers and cheat by machine stitching them together. : )

IIRC one of the ones in the NY Metropolitan Museum has a layer of felt
between the two knitted layers, which are hitched together with a
three-needle bindoff.

They used all methods, as far as I know: cast on at the outer edge and
knit inward with decreases to shape, cast on at the inner edge and make
increases outward to shape, pick up stitches for the second layer or
knit separately and sew together.

Patterns: look for tam-o-shanter hats, or Scottish berets, for the
flat circles. Modern ones have a simple edge rather than a brim,
but the old ones had another partial layer of flat circle, so the
underside of the beret might give you the method.

I don't have a pattern handy, but I don't know what size you're making
anyway. The brim would have to be knitted to fit. If a beret pattern
doesn't help, since it is essentially part of a circle, maybe a round
doily or pi-shawl pattern would give you the rate of increase. For
the width of a fairly narrow hatbrim, I vaguely recall only one or two
increases. For a longer bill, you may want to leave a slot to insert
a lengthwise plastic stick like the old collar stiffeners; the hat
will still roll sideways around the stick.

=Tamar

Old August 6th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Mystified One wrote:
You haven't seen roaches until you've lived in Texas! Mine rearrange
the furniture at night!

Eeewwww!!!

Higs,
Katherine

eScrew [email protected] Yarn 0 December 20th 04 10:54 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Needlework 0 December 20th 04 09:23 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Quilting 0 December 20th 04 08:59 AM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM