New Book for moi

Old July 30th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default New Book for moi

Went to the bookstore the other day, looking for the new book form
Yarn Harlot and endied up treating my self to Knitting Vantage Socks
by Nancy Bush....lol. Anyone else out there have this? What a fun
book, has oodles of *updated* patterns for vantage socks, as well as a
chapter on history of sock knitting, very interesting. Lots of large
colour photos, clear instructions and a chronological calander that
runs along the bottoms of the pages through out the book. Shows how to
work 4 different knids of heels and 6 different kinds of toes...so many
cute patterns, don't know which one to do first LOL. Kind of leaning
towards one of the lacy sock patterns, it's so hot here, don't mind my
feet having a bit of breeze.
Marie and the cats

Old July 30th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 30 Jul 2006 12:47:53 -0700, "
wrote:

Went to the bookstore the other day, looking for the new book form
Yarn Harlot and endied up treating my self to Knitting Vantage Socks
by Nancy Bush....lol. Anyone else out there have this? What a fun
book, has oodles of *updated* patterns for vantage socks, as well as a
chapter on history of sock knitting, very interesting. Lots of large
colour photos, clear instructions and a chronological calander that
runs along the bottoms of the pages through out the book. Shows how to
work 4 different knids of heels and 6 different kinds of toes...so many
cute patterns, don't know which one to do first LOL. Kind of leaning
towards one of the lacy sock patterns, it's so hot here, don't mind my
feet having a bit of breeze.
Marie and the cats

I just got this book from the library (via interlibrary loan - I'm in
NY, the book came from Minnesota!) and it is very interesting (though
the socks are Vintage not Vantage!) My only problem with it is that
all the socks are knitted with 4 needles and I prefer to knit with 5.
What I've done is noted some of the lace patterns that I could use for
a leg, no matter whether I go top down or toe up, and that I could
divide onto 4 needles instead of 3.

I really liked the shell pattern on one of the baby's sock patterns
(these were originally written as baby's socks but Nancy Bush has
redone them for women's sizes). It reminded me so much of this
pattern
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter05/PATTpomatomus.html
(the picture at the bottom of the page shows the pattern the best.)

I do like the star decrease toe - a lot!

Alison
Old July 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Oh geeeez! Sorry about the typos. Just started vacation and thought
I would try to quit smoking (again). Must be my nicotine starved
brain, not used to getting this much oxygen lol.
Isn't that baby sock the cutest? I also like the childs sock on
page 88, as well as several others. It will be hard to choose which
one to try first. I also really like the way they put the spiral
binding in the book so it will lay open flat.
Marie and the cats

Old July 30th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"Alison" wrote in message
news

I just got this book from the library (via interlibrary loan - I'm in
NY, the book came from Minnesota!) and it is very interesting (though
the socks are Vintage not Vantage!) My only problem with it is that
all the socks are knitted with 4 needles and I prefer to knit with 5.
What I've done is noted some of the lace patterns that I could use for
a leg, no matter whether I go top down or toe up, and that I could
divide onto 4 needles instead of 3.

Alison

Being a Minnesotan, I'm curious to know which library it came from. Isn't
interlibrary loan a wonderful service. We have the ability to do our own
searches and online requests which I really like.

--
Jan in MN

Old July 30th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Midwest poster" wrote in message
Being a Minnesotan, I'm curious to know which library it came from. Isn't
interlibrary loan a wonderful service. We have the ability to do our own
searches and online requests which I really like.

Jan in MN

I'm very fortunate here to belong to a FREE on-line library service run by
our provincial government. I order up to six books via Internet, they mail
them out in a heavy canvas bag, postage paid to me along with a postage paid
return mailer. I've been able to get a large number of knitting/craft
books, but some of them are real "vintage". I'm also reading a sci-fi
detective series right now and have been able to get a lot of the books from
the library.

They offer this service to rural people who are too far from a local
library. My tax dollars at work and for once it's something I agree with
(grin).

Shelagh

Old August 6th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Shillelagh wrote:
[...]

I also use interlibrary loans, but do it through my library. I give them the
title, and they do the work. It is great!

Higs,
Katherine