How can I polish a chain?

Old January 1st 05, 08:48 AM
Mark Johnson

Are you sure it is stainless steel shot? You can get plain steel shot
at those prices but stainless usually costs a lot more.

It is fine to use plain steel shot just remember you have to dry it well
after you use it or it will rust. One way to dry it is to heat it in an
iron skillet that has been seasoned with some oil. Don't heat it too
much or you may damage the temper.

I usually put a teaspoon of burnishing compound to a load in the
tumbler. I don't normally use soap but would do the same thing.

You only need enough to cover the pieces you are going to work with.

I also use a vibrating tumbler and the nice thing about that is you can
take the lid off and watch the action.

When you have everything correct you should see that the pieces sort of
work their way from the top of the shot down to the bottom and then back up.

The length of time in a vibrating tumbler is shorter than a rotating
one. I normally don't go more than an hour or two.

Mark

m3rma1d wrote:

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "KG"

] a 1-lb bag of stainless steel mixed-shape shot (about $20,
]orderable from Rio or T.B. Hagstoz)

GAH--I'm floored!!!
Do people really charge (and pay) that much? There's a jewelry supply

locally I visit (far too often) J.S. Ritter's here in Portland, Maine,
and they have 1 pound bags for $6.something, 5 pound bags for
$33.something. If anyone wants, I'll hook 'em up if they wanna pay
shipping or whatever. (I'm not looking to profit, just to help out)

I'm trying to figure out how to use my UltraVibe 5 for my chains....

I begged my boyfriend to get it for me like, 2 months ago, and there it
has sat ever since--D'OH!
Well dammit, I'm too neurotic :-o
I have 4 pounds of mixed shape steel shot.. but do I need more? I'm

mean, I can't figure out if I need to kinda.. fill up the whole entire
bowl? Do I have to measure how much soap and water I use? And how long
will I have to let it run, do I have to time that?

I'm ascared...

-- m3rma1d
--
www.creativespill.com