fusible batting and flannel binding

Old March 31st 04, 04:02 AM
DavesFatChick

Default fusible batting and flannel binding

I'm sure both of these questions have been answered many times but I'm on a
very brief break from mommy duties so I don't have time to look.

Anyone have anything bad to say about fusible batting? I have to get a
queen-sized quilt done within a couple of weeks so I thought this would be
easier than pinning everything together. Thought I'd double check here first.
I'm sure I have at least a few days before I get to that point in the project.

Also, I'm using flannel on the back of this quilt and would really prefer to
just do a fold-over binding - mostly to save time. I think I remember reading
that flannel binding stretches or something but that would have probably been
said in reference to the regualr binding. Anyone every try a fold-over binding
on a big quilt with flannel?

Hope everyone is doing well. I miss being able to sit and read about what
everyone is up to. Here's a few pictures of the baby...well, the big boy.
He's 14 months old already!

http://members.aol.com/picturesmostly/images/bday1.jpg

http://members.aol.com/picturesmostly/images/bday2.jpg

http://members.aol.com/picturesmostly/images/bday5.jpg

http://members.aol.com/picturesmostl...s/hineyboy.jpg

http://members.aol.com/picturesmostl...es/bruise1.jpg

http://members.aol.com/picturesmostly/images/aq1.jpg

Guess I should stop now, but all his pictures are so cute!

Miss you all!

Emma

**********************************

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Semper Gumby! - Always Flexible!

Old March 31st 04, 04:53 AM
Sharon Harper

Great to 'see' you again Emma! We've missed you too! Golly gosh he's just
gorgeous isn't he? Such a happy little chappy.

On to the quilty stuff, I've never used the fusible batting but have heard
that so long as you wash it once quilted to get rid of the fusible stuff all
will be okay. As for flannel fold over binding? Go for it. If they manage
to wear it out quickly - teach them how to do new ones!! Good luck!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

Old March 31st 04, 05:27 AM
Judie Luisi

On Tue, 31 Mar 2004, DavesFatChick wrote:

Also, I'm using flannel on the back of this quilt and would really prefer to
just do a fold-over binding - mostly to save time. I think I remember reading
that flannel binding stretches or something but that would have probably been
said in reference to the regualr binding. Anyone every try a fold-over binding
on a big quilt with flannel?

I'm not sure what you mean by a big quilt, but I have made several quilts
in the twin size range using flannel backings with the fold over binding
and have not had any problems with any of them. I did double the flannel
before I folded it over to the front. A few of these quilts were made for
grandchildren ranging in age from 2 to 16, one is a picnic type quilt
with a denim front and flannel back. They've all been used and washed
quite a lot and no signs of any problems so far, though the oldest of
these is only 2 years old.

Love the pictures, thanks for sharing.

Judie in Penfield NY
Old March 31st 04, 06:21 AM
Butterfly

Did a flip over binding of flannel on DS's quilt about 17 to 20 years
ago...quilt was WELL USED and the flannel shows some pilling all over--not
that much different on the edge....so go for it. He even used it the last
time he was home (couple of weeks ago) so I just had a look at it before
answering
HTH
Butterfly (cute HB pixs thanks for sharing)

Old March 31st 04, 08:32 AM
Patti

Hullo Emma
I have been using Hobbs fusible for a long time now. I really like it.
I have found that I need to re-attach it quite often in the course of
quilting a piece - but I am very slow. I do also put basting tacks (you
could use pins of course) all the way round the outside edge. Hauling
the quilt around under the machine does cause stresses that detach the
sandwich layers at the edge particularly.
In case you don't get full instructions with yours (I've never found any
in the packages!), I still do the taping to the floor for the backing,
smooth the batting over this and then the top. You may find that the
batting has a few 'fused' pleats in it. They will pull apart and sit
smoothly - but do this before you put the top on. I do this on the
floor and bring my iron to the nearest power outlet to where I am
working; put it on to full steam, and work gently over the quilt. I
actually try not to let any iron weight go onto the quilt - it's pretty
flat stuff. Once I have done the top; and taken off the tape, I then
turn it over and steam the back too. This might show a few puckers and
they are easiest to cure at this stage - just pull that piece gently
apart, re-smooth and carry on. You may find yours comes out perfectly
first time - my first one did!!

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures of Ryan - he's so lovely. Such
a smile. I'm glad to see you have him experiencing chocolate cake at
this formative age! We miss having you around; but these little
'pop-ins' are treats.
..
In article , DavesFatChick
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 31st 04, 10:31 AM
Lizzy Taylor

DavesFatChick wrote:
I'm sure both of these questions have been answered many times but I'm on a
very brief break from mommy duties so I don't have time to look.

Hi Emma,

Can't help with either of your questions but it is great to see a post
from you. Ryan is a real sweetie. Hope you get a few more Mommy breaks
to join us, you know you're always welcome.

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old March 31st 04, 06:17 PM
Martha in IN

Hi Emma, Haven't used the fusible batting so can't help there, but do have
to say that is one cute baby! Love your pictures, thanks for sharing....do
you think he will ever believe how many cyber aunts and grandmas he has? G
Martha

Old April 3rd 04, 01:03 AM
Dr. Quilter

he looks great and really mischevious in the 'bruise' pix! no answers
though I have done a double bias flannel binding, just not sure how it
is holding up since dad took it home with him... I'll see it this
october but that might be too later for you, uh?

DavesFatChick wrote:

Also, I'm using flannel on the back of this quilt and would really prefer to
just do a fold-over binding - mostly to save time. I think I remember reading
that flannel binding stretches or something but that would have probably been
said in reference to the regualr binding. Anyone every try a fold-over binding
on a big quilt with flannel?

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens