Question for the knitters and crocheters here

Old April 7th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

Default Question for the knitters and crocheters here

So I'm in the middle of crocheting a sweater and I've encountered a
direction term I've never seen before and cannot find an explanation online
for. Can anyone tell me exactly what it means to "continue even in
pattern"? I get the continue pattern part -- I have no idea what the "even"
is all about. And since I'm already at least 5 rows into the "continue
even" part, I thought I better ask for sure before I get too far and need to
rip it all out. Surely someone here must know and it's driving me nuts.
I've never once been stymied by a pattern before!

TIA,
Jinx

Old April 7th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

On 4/6/2010 9:13 PM, Jinx Minx wrote:
So I'm in the middle of crocheting a sweater and I've encountered a
direction term I've never seen before and cannot find an explanation online
for. Can anyone tell me exactly what it means to "continue even in
pattern"? I get the continue pattern part -- I have no idea what the "even"
is all about. And since I'm already at least 5 rows into the "continue
even" part, I thought I better ask for sure before I get too far and need to
rip it all out. Surely someone here must know and it's driving me nuts.
I've never once been stymied by a pattern before!

TIA,
Jinx

Continue even in pattern means keep on what you are doing without making
any increases or decreases.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old April 7th 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

"Olwyn.Mary" wrote in message
On 4/6/2010 9:13 PM, Jinx Minx wrote:
So I'm in the middle of crocheting a sweater and I've encountered a
direction term I've never seen before and cannot find an explanation
online
for. Can anyone tell me exactly what it means to "continue even in
pattern"? I get the continue pattern part -- I have no idea what the
"even"
is all about. And since I'm already at least 5 rows into the "continue
even" part, I thought I better ask for sure before I get too far and need
rip it all out. Surely someone here must know and it's driving me nuts.
I've never once been stymied by a pattern before!

TIA,
Jinx

Continue even in pattern means keep on what you are doing without making
any increases or decreases.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Then I'm doing it right! That "even" threw me off and then I started to
overthink it and confuse myself. The pattern consists of only two repeated
rows, and I became fixated that maybe the even meant to repeat just that
even numbered row. Good thing I wasn't. Thanks! :-)

Jinx

Old April 7th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher

On 07/04/2010 03:13, Jinx Minx wrote:
So I'm in the middle of crocheting a sweater and I've encountered a
direction term I've never seen before and cannot find an explanation online
for. Can anyone tell me exactly what it means to "continue even in
pattern"? I get the continue pattern part -- I have no idea what the "even"
is all about. And since I'm already at least 5 rows into the "continue
even" part, I thought I better ask for sure before I get too far and need to
rip it all out. Surely someone here must know and it's driving me nuts.
I've never once been stymied by a pattern before!

TIA,
Jinx

I'm a computer person not a craft person so I had a quick "google" and
found that in May 2009 someone else asked the same question on this webpage:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Knitting-2228/2009/5/Knitting-work.htm
I hope you can understand all the knitting terminology, it's all
Egyptian hieroglyphics to me!

Question:
Instructions say "work even in pattern as established on 39 sts . . ."
My question is about the word "even." Does that indicate a specific
row? As in the "even" row, as opposed to "odd." Or should it simply
say, "continue established pattern for 39 sts."
Thanks for any help you can give me."

Answer:
"Even" here means to continue in established pattern with no shaping.
So if you were knitting st. st. on sleeves and increasing every 4th row,
"work even" would mean to continue in st. st. without the increases.
Another way to say it would be to continue straight in established
pattern for 39 st. or more usually, this directive is given for working
over a certain number of inches or row.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old April 7th 10, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

"Bruce Fletcher" wrote in message
[...]

I had googled too, but didn't come up with that link nor any explanation
anywhere -- only other patterns using the same terminology. Thanks for
finding it!

Jinx