Has anyone here

Old August 13th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

Default Has anyone here

Thanks for that DA. Like Donna I don't have a lot of time to spend so will
stick to the public groups too. I've added alt.binaries.pictures.crafts to
my list but couldn't find the other one.

snip
Bernadette

Ask your ISP/USENET provider to add the group. Just remember to post a heads
up here when you upload to the binary groups.
DA

Old August 13th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

hesira wrote:
Hi Melinda,

My understanding is Ravelry is very different than this newsgroup in
several ways. (BB, if I'm wrong, please correct me on this!) In
addition to the pictures, I think there is an indexing system where
you can look projects up by pattern name or type of yarn. For
instance, if you have several skein of Brand Loopy Yarn, you can
search by that yarn and find patterns. Additionally, if you have a
pattern you'd like to try, you can search by that pattern and find how
others have fared with it, what problems there are with the pattern,
or yarn substitutions, ect.

This is all gleaned through the input of the members, so when you
join, you enter your finished objects and their vital statistics, your
yarn, needles, etc. It apparently is a lot of work (for people with a
lot of yarn or projects ) to get set up, but everyone I know who has
gotten their invitation, loves it. The invitation process is not
based on anything other than your place in line, so when they get to
your number, you're invited. I'm still waiting for my invite.

Ravelry won't replace this newgroup for me, but it will be a new and
interesting place to learn and share.

Hesira

Hesira has summed it up well. You can put as much time and effort into
ir as you want. I doubt I will take pictures of my stash, I have
recently destashed and it's organized enough for me to know what I have.
I haven't posted any pics of FO's yet, mostly because I want to take
better pics that I already have of them. Until now, I wasn't keeping
track of my projects visually in an organized way. You can make it a
social thing if you want, or you can use it as only a resource. Instead
of googling and googling and googling to find out about projects, this
is much more streamlined.

Although when I go to Projects, and see hundreds of people knitting the
same pattern, my desire to knit that pattern diminishes, but that's one
of my quirks

Also, as she pointed out, the invitation is based only on asking for one
and waiting your turn in line.

BB
Old August 13th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"BB" wrote in message
hesira wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info......
for instance, one thing I'm interested in looking up
is the Kauni cardigan. Not that I want to knit it - I'm wondering how
different people are lining up the colours. I've also noted that the Yarn
Harlot and the Rainey Sisters are both having some issues with it and
am wanting to see if other people are having them too.

I've picked up a Flickr account in anticipation of Ravelry and have
posted a few pictures just to try it out. However, I don't like their
200 pic limit on the free account, so will only use Flickr for my
Ravelry pictures. Am thinking of trying Picasa for on-line photo
albums, since Yahoo is closing down on October 18th. I'm just
glad I only used Yahoo so others could see my pics, and not as
a true storage facility.

Shelagh

Old August 13th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Aug 13, 2:33 pm, "Shillelagh" wrote:
"BB" wrote in message

hesira wrote:
[...]

I have over 1,000 pics in my Flickr account so far, Shelagh.

Higs,
Katherine

Old August 13th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

Shillelagh wrote:

Thanks for the info......
for instance, one thing I'm interested in looking up
is the Kauni cardigan. Not that I want to knit it - I'm wondering how
different people are lining up the colours. I've also noted that the Yarn
Harlot and the Rainey Sisters are both having some issues with it and
am wanting to see if other people are having them too.

I've picked up a Flickr account in anticipation of Ravelry and have
posted a few pictures just to try it out. However, I don't like their
200 pic limit on the free account, so will only use Flickr for my
Ravelry pictures. Am thinking of trying Picasa for on-line photo
albums, since Yahoo is closing down on October 18th. I'm just
glad I only used Yahoo so others could see my pics, and not as
a true storage facility.

Shelagh

I did a quick scan of the Kauni and it looks like most people are not
very far along on it, and I didn't find any mention of problems. There
are a few completed ones that are gorgeous.

This is a good example of what I was saying. I did a search for Kauni
on Flickr and got many hits that were not Kauni. Many people on Flickr
don't use tags properly. When I did a search on Ravelry, all of the
hits were of the sweater.

I got a paid Flickr account after having a couple of computers crash and
pictures were lost. I know, I could back up. I know me and I know
won't do it enough

BB
Old August 13th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've picked up a Flickr account in anticipation of Ravelry and have

posted a few pictures just to try it out. However, I don't like their
200 pic limit on the free account, so will only use Flickr for my
Ravelry pictures. Am thinking of trying Picasa for on-line photo
albums, since Yahoo is closing down on October 18th. I'm just
glad I only used Yahoo so others could see my pics, and not as
a true storage facility.

I have over 1,000 pics in my Flickr account so far, Shelagh.

Higs,
Katherine

From what I understand on the free account they only display the
200 most recent pictures. Your other ones are still there, but I'm not
sure how you access them.

Picasa has pretty much unlimited storage, and so far, it's free.

Shelagh

Old August 13th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shillelagh wrote:

It's going to be a community of crafters all around the world...

Which is exactly what the rec.crafts.texiles hierarchy of newsgroups is
as well.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old August 13th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I see. So they are trying to make a living by running that site. I
guess that explains it.

It's not sniffy -- it seems to me that advertising it here is almost as
crazy as going to the middle of Sears, Roebuck and suggesting that
people check out J. C. Penney.

Shillelagh wrote:
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
And what do they think this newsgroup is?

Wow, that's sounding a little "sniffy".....
It's entirely possible "they" have never been here. It's
a young couple who have quit their day jobs to set the
Ravelry group up and people are lining up to join.

Old August 13th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

So you're saying it's sort of going to be the knitting equivalent of
patternreview.com?

I still have problems navigating web sites and have been on a few boards
that got hacked into and seen other boards that are "aggressively
moderated," and I just prefer to stay here. But that's not saying that
nobody else should check it out. I'm just a cyber-Luddite.