Has anyone here

Old August 13th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Default Has anyone here

Well I agree with you but have found over the last 9 years that most people
are afraid of the public newsgroups and therefore started with web based
message boards/blogs. I am a member of a Baby Surprise Jacket group at
yahoo but that is all the time I have. I prefer the public groups and the
only drawback here is it's not a combo bin/text group...that would be
perfect IMO we could post pictures of our stuff and also make comments all
in the same placeG Also the public groups are faster then web based and I
hate all the fluff....ads and moving graphics. I have a knitting blog but
only for my projects...I never intend it to be a message board.

Oh for those interested I did a search and found the founders blog which has
a bunch of interesting stuff about what the deal is:

http://www.frecklegirl.com/blog/category/ravelry/

Donna

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
And what do they think this newsgroup is?

Shillelagh wrote:

I think it looks like it will be a great place to communicate with
"crafty" people all
over the world, as well as fun things like viewing other peoples
stashes and works
in progress, etc.etc.

Old August 13th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

what is ravelry ???
call yourself
Kidon [or Hanit , or SayifOr Romach Or Herev] all of which are
Synonims in Hebrew to Shelach
since i read your name with an CH [like the Spanish J as i tend
to read mames in Dutch spelling ]
14:50:16 -0500, "Shillelagh" wrote:

signed up for Ravelry??
I signed up on July 3, I'm #12,185
There are 3495 ahead of me and 12,679
behind me. I'm patiently waiting for my
invite.

I'm trying to figure out what screen name
to use there ;)

Shelagh

Old August 13th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

Snip I prefer the public groups and the
only drawback here is it's not a combo bin/text group...that would be
perfect IMO we could post pictures of our stuff and also make comments all
in the same placeG Also the public groups are faster then web based and
I hate all the fluff....ads and moving graphics. I have a knitting blog
but only for my projects...I never intend it to be a message board.

There are two little used binary groups which will accept both text and
pictures.
alt.binaries.crafts
alt.binaries.pictures.crafts.
DA

Old August 13th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
what is ravelry ???
call yourself
Kidon [or Hanit , or SayifOr Romach Or Herev] all of which are
Synonims in Hebrew to Shelach
since i read your name with an CH [like the Spanish J as i tend
to read mames in Dutch spelling ]

Thanks for the suggestions Mirjam ;)..... go here to see Ravelry - read
the blog to get an idea, and look at their screen shots:
http://www.ravelry.com

It's going to be a community of crafters all around the world...
Shelagh

Old August 13th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
And what do they think this newsgroup is?

Wow, that's sounding a little "sniffy".....
It's entirely possible "they" have never been here. It's
a young couple who have quit their day jobs to set the
Ravelry group up and people are lining up to join.

From what I'm understanding, there's going to be a
lot more going on there than here. Ever since we got bombarded
by those idiot spammers last year, most of the people that were on
this group migrated over to a completely closed Yahoo group.

Before you get too snotty about it, try reading their blog (link
posted by someone else in another post) to get an idea of what
they're about. Both groups can co-exist quite comfortably.

Shelagh

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Old August 13th 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

DA wrote:
Snip I prefer the public groups and the
only drawback here is it's not a combo bin/text group...that would be
perfect IMO we could post pictures of our stuff and also make
comments all in the same placeG Also the public groups are faster
then web based and I hate all the fluff....ads and moving graphics. I
have a knitting blog but only for my projects...I never intend it
to be a message board.

There are two little used binary groups which will accept both text
and pictures.
alt.binaries.crafts
alt.binaries.pictures.crafts.
DA

Oh didn't know...thanks will check em outG

Thanks!
Donna

Old August 13th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

wrote in message ...
And what do they think this newsgroup is?

Wow, that's sounding a little "sniffy".....
It's entirely possible "they" have never been here. It's
a young couple who have quit their day jobs to set the
Ravelry group up and people are lining up to join.

From what I'm understanding, there's going to be a
lot more going on there than here. Ever since we got bombarded
by those idiot spammers last year, most of the people that were on
this group migrated over to a completely closed Yahoo group.

Before you get too snotty about it, try reading their blog (link
posted by someone else in another post) to get an idea of what
they're about. Both groups can co-exist quite comfortably.

Shelagh

I read the About Page at the site and was surprised to see access will be
free.....not sure who there web host is but with the kind traffic they are
getting now and appears in the future I have doubts they will be able to
keep it free......my host charges extra if I go over my bandwidth and I have
seen other sites that have been down for days because they were over the
limit. Looking at the screen shots it looks really neat.

Donna

Old August 13th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

Oh didn't know...thanks will check em outG

Thanks!
Donna

You are very welcome. I too prefer USENET since as security measure, I don't
run active x or java from websites. This prevents a lot of sites from
DA

Old August 13th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Melinda,

My understanding is Ravelry is very different than this newsgroup in
several ways. (BB, if I'm wrong, please correct me on this!) In
addition to the pictures, I think there is an indexing system where
you can look projects up by pattern name or type of yarn. For
instance, if you have several skein of Brand Loopy Yarn, you can
search by that yarn and find patterns. Additionally, if you have a
pattern you'd like to try, you can search by that pattern and find how
others have fared with it, what problems there are with the pattern,
or yarn substitutions, ect.

This is all gleaned through the input of the members, so when you
join, you enter your finished objects and their vital statistics, your
yarn, needles, etc. It apparently is a lot of work (for people with a
lot of yarn or projects ) to get set up, but everyone I know who has
gotten their invitation, loves it. The invitation process is not
based on anything other than your place in line, so when they get to
your number, you're invited. I'm still waiting for my invite.

Ravelry won't replace this newgroup for me, but it will be a new and
interesting place to learn and share.

Hesira

Old August 13th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:15:26 -0400, DA wrote:

Snip I prefer the public groups and the
only drawback here is it's not a combo bin/text group...that would be
perfect IMO we could post pictures of our stuff and also make comments
all in the same placeG Also the public groups are faster then web
based and I hate all the fluff....ads and moving graphics. I have a
knitting blog but only for my projects...I never intend it to be a
message board.

There are two little used binary groups which will accept both text and
pictures.
alt.binaries.crafts
alt.binaries.pictures.crafts.
DA

Thanks for that DA. Like Donna I don't have a lot of time to spend so will
stick to the public groups too. I've added alt.binaries.pictures.crafts to
my list but couldn't find the other one.

I shall keep Ravelry's link to hand and check in there periodically
without joining. There's certainly a lot of interesting craft stuff
happening! :-)

Bernadette