Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

Old May 22nd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DA[_2_]

Default Lion Incredible ribbon yarn for sweater?

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
DA wrote:

After experiencing two disasters with cuff to cuff knitting, I prefer to
knit patterns with either shoulder seams or sleeves which change stitch
direction at the arm hole, i.e. knitted from the shoulder down.

Hmm. Well, a disaster is not exactly what I am interested in spending 4-6
months creating. I really don't want to get so frustrated again that I
decide to go back to trying to sew and then doing nothing because I don't
have the time or space to haul out my sewing machine and work. What would
you recommend for a foolproof, "even a 6YO with no prior knitting
experience can do it" type of cardigan-type pattern for a SSBBW (size
28-ish) who wants to experience a reasonably good success with her first
big project?

Thanks bunches!
Melinda

Lion Brand has some free patterns for Incredible yarn
http://cache.lionbrand.com//yarns/incredible.htm. There is a cardigan
pattern listed on the page below the yarn. Patterns from Lion Brand free
patterns are usually pretty easy, so I would try that one. The brief picture
I saw shows it as being two colors, but you can work it in just one if you
have enough yarn. There is also a pullover freebie.
Make sure that you do a gauge swatch.
DA

Old May 22nd 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
fiberlicious

On May 21, 8:16 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Hiya, I have played around at knitting for ages and now that I am
suffering from impending-empty-nest syndrome (youngest started junior
college this last year) I have decided to take up knitting on a casual
basis.

I found this *gorgeous* ribbon yarn called Lion Incredible that I used
to make a cell phone holder (with afghan stitch) and the more I worked
with it, the more I fell in love with it. Now I am thinking of using it
for a sweater. I have an easy cuff-to-cuff pattern to start with and
would knit with two strands on size 15 needles to make it go faster,
then maybe proceed to something a bit more complicated on the next pass.

It's nylon ribbon yarn, though, and I don't know how well it would hold
up, and all the pattern ideas from the manufacturer only use it as an
extra yarn, so I'm sorta concerned. Is anybody familiar with this yarn
and do they know if it would hold up to being used as a sweater? Or
does anybody know how to research these types of things to find it out
without having to bug youse guyses about it?

Thanks,
Melinda
(who hangs out a lot on alt.sewing and r.c.t.sewing as well)

I make sleeveless shells with ribbon yarn. You'll want to knit at a
pretty tight gauge to keep it from drooping.

Old May 22nd 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

The LIon Incredible is kind of scratchy when knitted (in my opinion.)
I would buy one ball and try a swatch and see what you think. There
are other, softer ribbon yarns if you're set on ribbons. For patterns
- I like the Vermont Fiber Design patterns.
http://vermontfiberdesigns.com/
They have very extended size ranges - the only ones I've seen that go
to 6x for instance (and start at xxSmall.) I just saw their new
summer patterns and am absolutely in love with this one
http://www.vermontfiberdesigns.com/p...tterns/158.php

Currently I'm making this short sleeved sweater in cotton (K2P2 Second
Time Cotton):
http://www.vermontfiberdesigns.com/p.../women/144.php

Alison
not affiliated, no how, no way
Old May 22nd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Thanks! Would you recommend cotton, acrylic, or wool (listed in order
of what I would prefer to use) to give the best structure?

Here's another thought to keep in mind. A few years ago I wanted to knit an
Aran sweater for my DIL. She can't wear wool, so asked for it in cotton. I
asked here about using cotton and was disuaded. A number of people warned
that 100% cotton in an Aran design would be very heavy and would "grow".
Even though I'm not a fan of acrylic, I ended up using a yarn made from 30%
cotton, 70% acrylic in the off white Fisherman colour. It's Bernat
Denimstyle, worsted weight 18 sts, 24 rows over 4" on 5 mm needles. That
sweater is the nicest sweater I've ever knit, especially as a gift. She was
very happy with it, can wash it in the machine and same for the dryer. You
can see it he
http://tinyurl.com/25eng6

Here's a link to see the yarn
ttp://tinyurl.com/2adrmo

Let us know what you finally decide.
Shelagh

Old May 22nd 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 22, 11:45 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Actually, the reason I asked about it here rather than just jump into it
is because at this point in my life I don't have that much extra time to
have the luxury of being able to waste it. So for a first big project,
I'd rather follow the rules to learn them before I have a feel for when
to break them.

I can appreciate that but even with the perfect pattern and the
perfect materials you may not get a finished product you are 100%
pleased with. If you will only settle for a desirable end product and
the journey to that end is not satisfying for you then pay someone
else to make it.

It may be everything you imagined and more (and I hope it is), but
when one is a novice at anything (and even when one is an expert),
doing something for the first time often leads to a less than perfect
result. If you can love the journey and love the outcome even with its
flaws then happiness will be yours.

Okay, enough preaching from me (even I'm sick of myself). Best wishes
for the project.

VP

Old May 23rd 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

DA wrote:

Lion Brand has some free patterns for Incredible yarn
http://cache.lionbrand.com//yarns/incredible.htm. There is a cardigan
pattern listed on the page below the yarn. Patterns from Lion Brand
free patterns are usually pretty easy, so I would try that one. The
brief picture I saw shows it as being two colors, but you can work it in
just one if you have enough yarn. There is also a pullover freebie.
Make sure that you do a gauge swatch.

Color me terrified, but how hard is it to keep track of knitting a
pattern if you are easily distracted like I am? I remember it was
murder keeping track of what I was doing when I was knitting a sock. Of
course, at this point I have figured that if I put a safety pin on every
10th row, I will do better at counting rows. But if I only have 10-15
minutes at a time to work on it, how am I going to keep it all straight?
Any pointers?

Melinda, already starting to wonder if trying to knit on needles was a
mistake and maybe I just should go back and try to find the time to use
my knitting machine again
Old May 23rd 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Vintage Purls wrote:

It may be everything you imagined and more (and I hope it is), but
when one is a novice at anything (and even when one is an expert),
doing something for the first time often leads to a less than perfect
result. If you can love the journey and love the outcome even with its
flaws then happiness will be yours.

Are you saying that it is never wise to get advice and help from more
experienced people, that one needs to just thrash it out on their own
and take their lumps when they get them?

If so, if someone came to this group and said, "I have knitted scarves
and plain rectangles and am ready to try something a little more
challenging like a sweater/jacket/cardigan/whatever that doesn't have
anything really fancy, just regular knitting and learning how to create
the basic item before doing anything fancy like fancy stitches or
whatever. What would you recommend as a good beginner project?" would
you just tell them to pick out the first pattern that appealed to them,
ignoring the difficulty level, or would you have some good suggestions?

Melinda, hoping that this group is not antipathetic to people who are
trying to learn to knit in their limited spare time
Old May 23rd 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:17:11 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

DA wrote:

[...]

I make a sort of check-off sheet for a pattern. If it has 4 rows, I
make 4 vertical boxes. I check off each box as I complete a row. I
repeat the boxes horizontally so I can see how many times I've knitted
the repeat. This is good with something like a sock if you want to
duplicate it. A plain sock is great because I start at the toe; after
doing the toe I can just knit plain about 6 inches or so; then do the
heel; then knit plain again or rib or pattern up the leg.

I recommend the check-off sheet (I use either a table in MS Word or an
Excel spreadsheet.)

Alison
Old May 23rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Sorry all about the duplicate posts - Google Groups kept telling me it
had failed to post but I guess it was just tricking.
VP

Old May 23rd 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Vintage Purls wrote:
Sorry all about the duplicate posts - Google Groups kept telling me it
had failed to post but I guess it was just tricking.
VP

Never believe what GG tells you about posting... G

sue