Stretchy Bind-Offs

Old May 15th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

Default Stretchy Bind-Offs

I'm knitting toe-up socks and looking for stretchy bind-offs for the
cuff. I've tried the sewn bind-off aka Elizabeth Zimmerman's
bind-off. It is stretchy but it seems to make the tops flare out.
I've tried the suspended bind-off but it doesn't seem to be all that
stretchy.

Any other suggestions?

Alison
Old May 15th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 15, 11:41 am, Alison wrote:
I'm knitting toe-up socks and looking for stretchy bind-offs for the
cuff. I've tried the sewn bind-off aka Elizabeth Zimmerman's
bind-off. It is stretchy but it seems to make the tops flare out.
I've tried the suspended bind-off but it doesn't seem to be all that
stretchy.

Any other suggestions?

Alison

I often do a regular cast off (in pattern) but use a bigger needle as
I do so.

You might like to try this:
http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/stretchy.htm

VP

Old May 15th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

This isn't anything flash or fancy . . . . . . but I just
work three times in normal cast off for every two stitches.

So for a K1 P1 rib I cast off by K1 in the loop below the
stitch, K1, pass 1st stitch over, P1, pass stitch over, K1
in the loop below the stitch, pass stitch over, K1, pass
stitch over, P1, pass stitch over, etc. This doesn't
require changing needle size and it is quick and easy, and
gives just enough stretch for my socks without too much of a
lettuce leaf edge. Like I said - not fancy but it works
for me.

Have you considered knitting some ribbing elastic into the
last row and cast off (the very fine sort used by machine
knitters) or is that "heresy"? lol

I also knit toe-up socks because I can never get the
grafting of the toes right. I tried all the sewn top
finishes but I always seem to get things twisted about half
way through. (sigh)

--

Cheryl

"Alison" wrote in message
: I'm knitting toe-up socks and looking for stretchy
bind-offs for the
: cuff. I've tried the sewn bind-off aka Elizabeth
Zimmerman's
: bind-off. It is stretchy but it seems to make the tops
flare out.
: I've tried the suspended bind-off but it doesn't seem to
be all that
: stretchy.
:
: Any other suggestions?
:
: Alison

Old May 15th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Jenn

The one I use for stretchy is the following.

Knit 1, knit another, slip the first one over the second one, knit the
next stitch in line, pass the previous one over the newly knit
stitch...

Finish to the end, and on the last stitch after slip previous stich
over it, pull yarn through like a slip knot, then you can do a small
graft of one stitch to close the circle.

I've used this on all my toe up booties to date and hasn't been too
tight yet.

Just my two cents.

Jenn in CA
http://pleiaden.blogspot.com

Old May 15th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 14 May 2007 16:52:21 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

On May 15, 11:41 am, Alison wrote:
I'm knitting toe-up socks and looking for stretchy bind-offs for the
cuff. I've tried the sewn bind-off aka Elizabeth Zimmerman's
bind-off. It is stretchy but it seems to make the tops flare out.
I've tried the suspended bind-off but it doesn't seem to be all that
stretchy.

Any other suggestions?

Alison

I often do a regular cast off (in pattern) but use a bigger needle as
I do so.

You might like to try this:
http://www.socknitters.com/Tips/stretchy.htm

VP

Thanks very much, VP. I don't understand the half-hitch M1 in the
instructions below however.

Alison

K1, M1 ("make one" by making a half-hitch loop, not by picking up the
in-between thread), pull the M1 tight, P1.

Old May 15th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 14 May 2007 18:53:43 -0700, Jenn wrote:

The one I use for stretchy is the following.

Knit 1, knit another, slip the first one over the second one, knit the
next stitch in line, pass the previous one over the newly knit
stitch...

Finish to the end, and on the last stitch after slip previous stich
over it, pull yarn through like a slip knot, then you can do a small
graft of one stitch to close the circle.

I've used this on all my toe up booties to date and hasn't been too
tight yet.

Just my two cents.

Jenn in CA
http://pleiaden.blogspot.com

Thanks Jenn - I think this is what I did on the suspended bind-off.
It worked on one sock but the other ended up tight. I'll try it
again.

Alison
Old May 16th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Laura J

I use Grumperina's bind-off (I can't remember if I do it on a bigger needle
or not so that is something else to try):

Work 2 sts in pattern (either knit or purl). Move yarn to back (if the last
worked st was a knit, this is already the case). * Transfer the 2 worked sts
to the LH needle, and k2togTBL. Work 1 st in pattern (move yarn to back if
it was a purl), * repeat between *.

It is from her blog post he
http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/a...it_him_a_1.htm

It sounds fiddly but it isn't too bad and it works. Good luck!

LauraJ

Old May 16th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 16, 12:46 am, Alison wrote:
Thanks very much, VP. I don't understand the half-hitch M1 in the
instructions below however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_hitch

VP

Old May 17th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

wrote:

[...]

That's also known as the backwards loop cast on.

sue

Peel Offs Search! emma J General Crafting 0 September 17th 05 01:11 PM
cheap peel offs!!! Genner Marketplace 1 February 21st 05 09:36 AM
Cheap Peel offs!!! Genner Rubberstamps 0 February 16th 05 07:59 PM
Exceedingly cheap peel offs!! Genner General Crafting 0 February 16th 05 07:43 PM
Are These Rip-Offs? madeupagin Needlework 2 April 7th 04 05:03 PM