Long Tail Cast On - How much????

Old May 11th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default Long Tail Cast On - How much????

I am pretty good at estimating short rows of knitting when I cast on.
However, I am not doing a sweater is there a rule of thumb for the
long tail cast on?

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

Thanks for your help!

Padishar Creel

Old May 11th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
'Nez

On May 11, 5:48?pm, Padishar Creel wrote:

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

Thanks for your help!

Padishar Creel

Wrap your needle 1/4 of 244, unwrap needle, measure once the length,
then measure once the entire length, leave another 3" to be sure you
have enough. Frances

Old May 12th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Brenda[_2_]

I don't understand the reason for long tail cast on. Can someone please
explain.

Brenda
oups.com...

Old May 12th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 12, 9:48 am, Padishar Creel wrote:
I am pretty good at estimating short rows of knitting when I cast on.
However, I am not doing a sweater is there a rule of thumb for the
long tail cast on?

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

The general rule I've heard is make the tail three times the length of
the final width to be cast on.
So, if the final width of your cast on is 10 inches, you need a tail
30 inches long.
How many stitches to the inch is your tension? This should enable you
to work out the width of your piece and thereby the length of your
tail.

VP

Old May 12th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 12, 1:30 pm, "Brenda" wrote:
I don't understand the reason for long tail cast on. Can someone please
explain.

I think it's much faster than two needle methods. I also like the
finish better - it's easier for me to get a neat, even appearance.

VP

Old May 12th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Vintage Purls wrote:
On May 12, 9:48 am, Padishar Creel wrote:
I am pretty good at estimating short rows of knitting when I cast on.
However, I am not doing a sweater is there a rule of thumb for the
long tail cast on?

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

The general rule I've heard is make the tail three times the length of
the final width to be cast on.
So, if the final width of your cast on is 10 inches, you need a tail
30 inches long.
How many stitches to the inch is your tension? This should enable you
to work out the width of your piece and thereby the length of your
tail.

VP

Who needs any books or computers with VP and Wooly around the place.

Luv u both,
Dennis & Gail
Old May 12th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Vintage Purls wrote:
On May 12, 9:48 am, Padishar Creel wrote:
I am pretty good at estimating short rows of knitting when I cast on.
However, I am not doing a sweater is there a rule of thumb for the
long tail cast on?

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

The general rule I've heard is make the tail three times the length of
the final width to be cast on.
So, if the final width of your cast on is 10 inches, you need a tail
30 inches long.
How many stitches to the inch is your tension? This should enable you
to work out the width of your piece and thereby the length of your
tail.

Another way that works for me (sometimes) is 1/2" for each stitch plus a
few inches. 244 sts is 122 inches or about 3.5 yards. Or, since there's
so many stitches, you can use the end of another skein - knot both ends
together, then begin the CO using one skein for the thumb strand and the
other skein (which you'll do the first row with) for the finger strand.

sue
Old May 12th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Try using the end of another ball of yarn to do one half of your long tail
cast on. you might have 2 ends to weave in, but it's so much less
frustrating than getting to the last 10 stitches of your cast on and finding
there's not enough yarn left! there is (or rather have been on several
occasions!) a reason why I know this

HTH
Love & higs
Christine

PS
I've just cast on a wrap in Tunisian crochet using a lovely new rosewood
hook I just bought. The yarn's Twilley's Freedom Spirit, and when I decide
what stitch I'm going to use it should be lovely. How's your Tunisian
crochet going?

ups.com...

Old May 12th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On May 11, 5:48 pm, Padishar Creel wrote:
I am pretty good at estimating short rows of knitting when I cast on.
However, I am not doing a sweater is there a rule of thumb for the
long tail cast on?

Cast on 244 with size 6 needles -- so how long should my tail be for
this?

Really, really long? g Seriously, though, I wrap once around the
needle for every stitch, and add about another 6 inches. That seems
to work, even though it is a pain sometimes.

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 12th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...

Really, really long? g Seriously, though, I wrap once around the
needle for every stitch, and add about another 6 inches. That seems
to work, even though it is a pain sometimes.

Higs,
Katherine

Heh, I haven't used this cast-on, and after watching the women in our
knitting group and reading the comments here, I don't think I'll even
bother. It sounds like a PITA.(grin). But, different strokes for diff
folks.

Shelagh

Thinking about using horse tail hair to make a belt. Have you done this before? Bricore Yarn 4 April 27th 07 01:05 PM
Thinking about using horse tail hair to make a belt. Have you done this before? Bricore Yarn 0 April 26th 07 06:31 PM
FS: 8 MACAW WING & TAIL FEATHERS FOR CRAFTS PROJECTS dreamspinner3 Marketplace 0 February 15th 07 05:24 PM
Horse's tail fp Knots 2 December 28th 06 08:38 PM
Removing Raised letters on Glass Tail lights Joe Glass 4 May 20th 04 12:49 AM