Name that fleece

Old May 7th 07, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Default Name that fleece

Hi all,

You excellent advice is sought. I bought (via online auction) what I
thought was a kilo of merino (that's what they called it in the
auction description). It arrived today and it's most certainly not
merino. I suspect it's English Leicester but I thought I ask you to
try identifying it.

See photos he
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/mysteryFleece.html

The staple is about 8 inches long.

It's attractive fleece and I'm not sure I want to part with it, but
it's not what I expected to buy so words will be had with the seller.

VP

Old May 7th 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

In message .com,
Vintage Purls writes
Hi all,

You excellent advice is sought. I bought (via online auction) what I
thought was a kilo of merino (that's what they called it in the
auction description). It arrived today and it's most certainly not
merino. I suspect it's English Leicester but I thought I ask you to
try identifying it.

See photos he
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/mysteryFleece.html

The staple is about 8 inches long.

It's attractive fleece and I'm not sure I want to part with it, but
it's not what I expected to buy so words will be had with the seller.

VP

The merino that I have bought has staples of only about 3 inch.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk
Old May 7th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Stella Fenley

It looks like a ladies hair.
then if not it could be goat.

Stella

oups.com...

Old May 7th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Luster longwool for sure, that's never merino!

Lincoln or Leicester would be my guess.

Old May 7th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Thank you all for you input.

I washed a staple last night and oh, it's so beautiful. The cleaning
really brought out the sheen (which only adds to fuel to my hunch that
it's Leicester).

I haven't heard back from the seller yet but I don't think I'll want
to return the fleece, I'm quite taken with it now (not that I'm going
to tell them that - they sold something under a false description).

VP

Old May 7th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Okay, either I'm going crazy and I've pushed the "discard" button
instead of "send" twice this morning or the system is playing up today
(I suspect it may be the former - I'm not at my finest this very
moment).

I washed a staple of the fleece last night and it's so beautiful. The
clean really brought out the luster so I'm pretty confident in calling
this Leicester I think.

I haven't heard back from the seller yet but I'm pretty sure I'm not
returning the fleece - it isn't what I thought I was buying but it's
still a good bargin ($5 for over a kilo). Not that I intend to tell
them how pleased I am with it - they sold something under an
inaccurate description.

Thanks for all you advice.

VP

Old May 8th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Off list someone suggested this may be mohair (as in Angora goat). The
washed staple is incredibly soft and it certainly is fine. The woman i
bought it off got it to make doll wigs which leads me to believe she
may have misherd mohair as merino.

I've never seen an angora goat let alone felt it's fleece. Can anyone
give me an idea of how I might tell if this is mohair?

VP

Old May 8th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Taueret

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've never seen an angora goat let alone felt it's fleece. Can anyone
give me an idea of how I might tell if this is mohair?

VP

well, it's def. not merino, as you said. Not only too looong stapled
(unless it's your own Shrek the sheep LOL) but merino has a much crimpier
nature, almost frizzy. The mohair I have seen is honestly like angel hair,
that lock looks like a leicester to me too.

Taueret

--
NSW, Australia
http://taueret.typepad.com

Old May 8th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
fiberlicious

On May 7, 3:26 am, Vintage Purls wrote:
Hi all,

You excellent advice is sought. I bought (via online auction) what I
thought was a kilo of merino (that's what they called it in the
auction description). It arrived today and it's most certainly not
merino. I suspect it's English Leicester but I thought I ask you to
try identifying it.

See photos hehttp://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/mysteryFleece.html

The staple is about 8 inches long.

It's attractive fleece and I'm not sure I want to part with it, but
it's not what I expected to buy so words will be had with the seller.

VP

Looks to me like the seller didn't know the difference between merino
and mohair. How does it feel?

fleece as batting? Sara Lorimer Quilting 9 December 27th 05 05:33 AM
OT-ish: Fleece help Brenda Needlework 14 November 18th 04 04:57 PM
Sewing Fleece... KR Sewing 8 August 29th 04 03:20 PM
Needlepunch fleece Michele Sewell Sewing 2 July 22nd 03 12:13 AM
Romney Fleece Roberta Marketplace 0 July 21st 03 08:25 PM