OT - another fire

Old October 10th 05, 01:04 PM
Queen of Squishies

Default OT - another fire

Another fire tragedy in today's news. Oh dear, seems like all around the
whole world, things are falling to pieces.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ire/index.html

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
**************************
Sail on, silver girl - sail on by.

Old October 10th 05, 01:51 PM
Kate Dicey

Queen of Squishies wrote:

Another fire tragedy in today's news. Oh dear, seems like all around the
whole world, things are falling to pieces.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ire/index.html

Karen, Queen of Squishies

I liked Nick Park's comment: "Even though it is a precious and nostalgic
collection and valuable to the company, in light of other tragedies,
today isn't a big deal," he said.

True. While I feel for them (I'm a big Wallace & Gromit fan), the
Pakistan earthquake folk have my prayers today.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 10th 05, 02:32 PM
the black rose

Kate Dicey wrote:
I liked Nick Park's comment: "Even though it is a precious and nostalgic
collection and valuable to the company, in light of other tragedies,
today isn't a big deal," he said.

True. While I feel for them (I'm a big Wallace & Gromit fan), the
Pakistan earthquake folk have my prayers today.

I'm starting to dread the news. Every time I wake up, the death toll is
higher.

And in the middle of all this, there has been nary a peep about the
mudslides in Guatemala caused by Hurricane Stan. Hundreds are dead,
hundreds are missing, and thousands are so hungry they're fighting over
food. Over a hundred communities are still cut off. There were also
deaths in El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica. The
people in those regions need prayers too.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old October 10th 05, 02:51 PM
Queen of Squishies

Yes, I agree, Kate. It's just that I've been noticing, if it's not fires,
it's hurricanes, or floods, or drought, or earthquakes, or..... And I just
don't remember reading about tragedies of some kind or another every single
day before. That's why I mentioned it. I wasn't intending to be
insensitive to the bigger pictures. But you know that. Nuff said.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 10th 05, 09:28 PM
Kate Dicey

Queen of Squishies wrote:

Yes, I agree, Kate. It's just that I've been noticing, if it's not fires,
it's hurricanes, or floods, or drought, or earthquakes, or..... And I just
don't remember reading about tragedies of some kind or another every single
day before. That's why I mentioned it. I wasn't intending to be
insensitive to the bigger pictures. But you know that. Nuff said.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Oh, yes, I know how you meant it. I just thought that it was a good
thing for Mr Park to say having just seen a huge chunk of his life's
work go up in smoke along with a rather splendid old building.

Old October 10th 05, 10:31 PM
Queen of Squishies

Yes, it was, I was quite impressed with that myself also.

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old October 11th 05, 07:59 AM
melinda

the black rose wrote:
Kate Dicey wrote:
I liked Nick Park's comment: "Even though it is a precious and nostalgic
collection and valuable to the company, in light of other tragedies,
today isn't a big deal," he said.

True. While I feel for them (I'm a big Wallace & Gromit fan), the
Pakistan earthquake folk have my prayers today.

I'm starting to dread the news. Every time I wake up, the death toll is
higher.

And in the middle of all this, there has been nary a peep about the
mudslides in Guatemala caused by Hurricane Stan. Hundreds are dead,
hundreds are missing, and thousands are so hungry they're fighting over
food. Over a hundred communities are still cut off. There were also
deaths in El Salvador, Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras and Costa Rica. The
people in those regions need prayers too.

We've seen a liitle on the news about the stuff in central america,
it looks real bad there, I think part of the problem is that until
now most of the affected areas were completely inaccessable.
The areas worst affected by the earthquake are probablt in a
similar situation.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 11th 05, 09:56 AM
Kate Dicey

melinda wrote:

We've seen a liitle on the news about the stuff in central america,
it looks real bad there, I think part of the problem is that until
now most of the affected areas were completely inaccessable.
The areas worst affected by the earthquake are probablt in a
similar situation.

I saw it in my newspaper. The Pakistan disaster has been bigger news
for us as there are several million Pakistani folk here in the UK, still
with family in the affected areas. Sadly, I shall be glad when this
year is over.

Old October 11th 05, 09:57 AM
Kate Dicey

IMS wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:04:05 GMT, "Queen of Squishies" RisingStars @
KarenTucker.com wrote:

Another fire tragedy in today's news. Oh dear, seems like all around the
whole world, things are falling to pieces.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ire/index.html

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Well, IMHO the media seems to focus on putting doom and gloom on the
front page. For example, the media frenzy on the mayor's claim that
there were 10,000 dead in New Orleans when in fact a fraction of that
was the case.

That’s to be expected, I guess. No news, as they say, is good news. Good
news, unlike bad news, happens gradually, which makes it less
conspicuous. Bad news happens in suddenly like in hurricanes and
earthquakes....it makes itself known. In just a few hours, a hurricane
or an earthquake can wipe out thousands of homes and businesses. The
prosperity, wealth and rise in standard of living that created those
homes and businesses took place over decades, if not hundreds of years,
but prosperity is never reported.

No one reports when a new town is built in India. Everyone’s on the
scene when an earthquake takes one down.

Good news is no news!
Old October 11th 05, 04:42 PM
the black rose

IMS wrote:
No one reports when a new town is built in India. Everyone’s on the
scene when an earthquake takes one down.

Yeah, but that's at least partly because when something bad happens,
people need to know so they can help.

I'm not in a position to help in person, but I do donate to
organizations that can. Maybe when the kids are grown I can do more
than that.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human
Relations
2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

OT Fire on my beloved Pier Paul & Suzie Beckwith Quilting 7 October 10th 05 06:11 PM
number of facets m4816k Jewelry 7 March 26th 05 09:59 PM
OT house fire maryd Quilting 8 December 13th 04 08:37 PM
OT - Fire Beadbimbo Beads 23 August 15th 04 12:52 AM