Weight to Yardage

Old May 11th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Weight to Yardage

Hi Everyone,

I have a question. My MIL gifted me with some undyed handspun NZ
merino. The yardage is written on the label, but I'm not sure where
to begin with the gauge. It's approximately 388 meters and weighs 5
oz. How does one figure the weight to yardage (in this case meterage
I guess) relationship?

TIA

Hesira

Old May 11th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 12, 7:50 am, hesira wrote:
I have a question. My MIL gifted me with some undyed handspun NZ
merino. The yardage is written on the label, but I'm not sure where
to begin with the gauge. It's approximately 388 meters and weighs 5
oz. How does one figure the weight to yardage (in this case meterage
I guess) relationship?

Grab a ruler and wrap your yarn around it till you've covered an inch
- count how many strands fit into an inch and then you have the WPI
number (wraps per inch). This will help you judge what needle size is
appropriate.

18 or more wraps and you've got yourself some laceweight yarn.
16 wraps and you've got Fingering weight.
14 wraps and you've got yourself double-knit (can't remember if that's
the term Americans use - normal needle size is 4mm).
etc.

You'll find lots of WPI references online. I've got a small table on
my site:
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/tools.html

Hope that helps,
VP

Old May 12th 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 11 May 2007 14:38:03 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:
Grab a ruler and wrap your yarn around it till you've covered an inch
- count how many strands fit into an inch and then you have the WPI
number (wraps per inch). This will help you judge what needle size is
appropriate.

An easier rule of thumb is to start with a needle approximately twice
the visual width of the yarn.
Old May 12th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On May 12, 2:26 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
An easier rule of thumb is to start with a needle approximately twice
the visual width of the yarn.

Damn, outwitted again!
Listen to wooly - she know her stuff.

VP

Old May 12th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Thanks Wooly and VP,

Both suggestions are very helpful. I'll probably do the double-the-
needle trick as a starter for swatching.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with this yarn, but I just love
the stuff.

Hesira

Quilt Yardage Sherry Starr Quilting 5 August 27th 06 05:41 PM
Washing Yardage frood Quilting 18 November 27th 05 07:02 PM
Yardage requirements Jan Quilting 7 February 17th 05 10:04 PM
Yardage???? Carol L Yarn 10 April 20th 04 01:52 PM
help ( math) yardage Christina in Ok Quilting 5 September 5th 03 05:39 PM